1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...it's gonna be on it's way back to Colt unfortunately.

I was so happy when I got it that the first thing I did was take it apart. And thats when I noticed that Colt I guess forgot to finish bluing the inside. The outside looks nice but inside when you take off the slide it's bare metal with some rust developing.

I've also noticed the fit and finish on the thumb safety. Although it has a positive click, it feels somewhat "loose." When I disengage the thumb safety, there tends to be a little play unlike my TRP or other 1911s I've handled. You can push down the safety a tad bit further if you don't realize it's been down.

Does Colt pay shipping back and forth? :(

Forgot to add: Theres also two large gouges on the barrel, like someone fell asleep with a dremel in hand at Colt.

· Registered
735 Posts
Well if they don't pay shipping that is just wrong! I don't see how that would be your fault or problem that they sent a gun out like that in the first place.

This is becoming all to familer with Colt. :grumble:

· Banned
917 Posts
NIB said:
...it's gonna be on it's way back to Colt unfortunately.

I was so happy when I got it that the first thing I did was take it apart. And thats when I noticed that Colt I guess forgot to finish bluing the inside. The outside looks nice but inside when you take off the slide it's bare metal with some rust developing.
What the hell are they doing, wiping on cold blue with a rag? How the hell do you NOT blue the inside of a slide when you dip the whole thing into a tank of bluing solution?

· Premium Member
906 Posts
Is it possible to not degrease the inside and not have the bluing stick? Or perhaps the slide needed additional finishing to fit to the frame and they "forgot" to re-blue?

From the many many previous threads, you will likely be treated well by Colt when the gun goes to the factory for its second trip. You know the sad thing is that many people like us will take the time to have it fixed right and not hold a grudge against Colt. How many buyers out there get one of these lemons and never buy a Colt again? (Then Colt wonders why they have such financial problems?)

DSK said in a post long ago and far away (in reference to a different factory flaw) that it will have to be added to the pre sale inspection list. Again, too bad there has to BE a list.

Chin up soldier, when they get it right you will have a nice gun.

· Premium Member
4,435 Posts
NIB said:
...Does Colt pay shipping back and forth? :(....
They paid me. It only took three weeks from the date I sent in my request. Get a receipt from the shipper and send it to Colt same address ,(attn: accounting)along with the repair number, (mail your request seperatly from sending in the gun).

Or

one member asked and received Colts account number for one of the carriers and sent it back on Colts dime.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cameron,

I would enjoy posting pics, but I'm behind the times and don't own a digital camera. Heck I still have a 35mm camera, running on 64mb of ram and Windows 98....not even second edition. I'll snail mail you some of you want.

Anyhow it's not the slide thats missing some bluing, it's the frame. Inside in the area where the barrel lugs would go. that whole inside there has no bluing. Thats also my guess that it wasn't fully degreased before dipping it in the bluing tank. We'll I'll call Colt Monday morning. I would like to fire it before I send it back but I don't want to waste ammo testing firing if they are going to exchange the barrel anyways.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
That is too bad. The Commander that a friend bought a few months ago was perfect...has been an excellent shooter right out of the box.

As for freight...call Colt and they will probably give you their UPS shipping number or send you a return label.

Bob

· Administrator
80,951 Posts
Often when the Colt employees are assembling a pistol they'll discover tightness or binding in a particular area. The component is then run back through the milling machine or else ground/filed on by hand until the component fits. They usually won't re-blue or cold blue the component afterwards. Sometimes you'll even find the metal shavings still present as they often won't even degrease the parts afterwards! I once had a NIB pre-Series 70 Colt with evidence of this sort of thing, so obviously Colt's been doing it for a very long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.