1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally put the bucks down on a Colt,won't be seein it for a week or so(bummer).Anyhow,its a 1991A1 stainless(don't know if its a Lew Horton oder or not?The salesman didn't seem to know)with videki trigger,Bomars and wood grips.Other things I noticed are a beveled mag well and a lowered ejection port.The one thing I wished it had are polished slide sides(Colt's stainless finish is rather .......raw,takes some getting used to.)although I'm sure I can have this done for a reasonable price.This gun is pretty tight,slide on frame(although not like the Kimbers I've fondled.Checked out a couple a ultra carry's that were literally glued together,no peceptable movement;Incredible!although I've read here that thats not the most important thing.)chamber and breech face seemed to be nicley finished and smooth.All in all I'm real excited about it.I'll let you all know how it shoots.

Oh yeah,paid $669 for it ,which I thought was fair for what I've seen in the area.Best price I've seen for a basic Black 1991A1 is $529,so there's alittle value there.

I don't know if its like this around the country,but out of about a dozen WELL STOCKED shops only 2 had a variety of Colt models;1991's,Gold Cup's,commanders,different finishes ect.....half a dozen didn't carry a single one(including some good shops,kinda surprised me)and the rest carried only your basic black 1991A1 or two.Sorta frustrating,I never did see a Defender.OBTW all these dealers had a shelf full of kimber's.

Sorry for going on so long ,but the hunt was fun and I'm excited about owning one of these ,instead of just talking about it.I owe you all a thanks for the education you've given me in these last several weeks,Byron

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you made a good find. Enjoy it!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Sounds like a fair price, let us know how well it shoots !

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sounds Great, Congratulations and start picking out that second one. Don't fight it, Man! You know you gotta have another one!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Byron, you made the right choice. The Kimbers are incorrectly fit - TOO TIGHT - for a Combat, "bet your life on it" gun. The barrel/slide fit is where the accuracy is on a Colt 1911 - not slide to frame fit. All "too tight" does is compromise reliability. For what? Paper Punching? An extra half inch at 25 yards? Whenever a customer comes into the shop and wiggles the back of the slide on a 1911 I immediately think "gun magazine commando"! Add in all those "epoxy/sintered metal slurry" MIM parts and you've got a very well marketed joke, not a gun to trust your life to.

Many dealers switched to Kimber or Springfield during the "Great Colt Drought", while Colt's whole production capacity was making a large run of M-4 Carbines for the US military. Once you invest $5-10k to be a Kimber Master Dealer, you're kind of financially committed. How good the product you are selling is becomes secondary.

Colts are quite available - and a good dealer will contact RSR or Lew Horton, and get you what you want.

Welcome to the club. You are in very good company. Millions of Americans have and continue to trust their lives to Colts in war and in peace, for over 160 years now. From Wild Bill Hickok and Theodore Roosevelt to Alvin York and Audie Murphy - they all confidently carried guns with the little prancing horse proudly stamped on it's side.

Warmly, (and Patrioticly) Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Byron - welcome to the Colt club. It's a sickness, for which there is no cure! Enjoy it - you can't go wrong with a Colt (the real thing!)
NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts