1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local gunshop after work today to pick up a Wilson Combat mag for my Ultra CDP Elite Sts II. I always do a little window shopping while I am there. I saw someone trading in a Kimber towards a new Benelli Nova (it's deer season here in NH).

I asked the salesperson when the trade-in would go in the case and he told me as soon as their smith looked it over. I asked to have a quick look at it and they let me. Other than a very small amount of holster wear evident on the muzzle it looked very good. I also got to speak to the owner out in the parking lot, he had it since it was new and had only fired it "a few times." :) I came back to the store an hour later and the smith said, "it was in like new condition." :)

To make a long story short I got it (Kimber Custom Classic serial # K0017XX) and I paid $575.00 for it. How did I do?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
PAOLO721 said:
To make a long story short I got it (Kimber Custom Classic serial # K0017XX) and I paid $575.00 for it. How did I do?
Very low serial number and at a very good price! Ya did good! Welcome to the very exclusive "Clackamas Club".:D

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Excellent buy for one of the firsts. Congratulations!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.............do you guys know what that finnish was called? Was that the only model offered back then?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the info, much appreciated. Subsequently I did a search here on the forum for "Clackamas" and learned a ton more. Yet, as always I also came away with a few more questions.:D

Has anyone yet determined if the first serial numbers started at #K1000, that is to say, does anyone have knowledge of one in the 3 digit range?

Also, if I should choose to have mine bead blasted, (Tracy you are not the only one with a stainless only policy) would that have an adverse effect on the pistol's value?

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I'm yet to hear of a three-digit number. Don't bead blast that gun, you'll need to refinish it again. The ones I blast are all stainless steel. Just keep it the way it is. When the finish is gone or looking bad, you'll have to decide what you want. By that time it'll be just a favorite shooter, so it wouldn't matter what finish you use.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about front strap checkering? I love it on my Ultra CDP, would that have an adverse effect on the value and I presume if I did that I would have refinish at the same time, correct?

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Yup, refinishing would be required. Make it the way you want. While rare, they're not extremely collectable yet. I'd suggest using skateboard tape on the front strap until you need refinishing.

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
ANY permanent changes to a firearm adversely affects value. No matter how tasteful the modifications, it seems most folks only want guns that are still in NIB condition.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Too bad you couldn't have caught the seller in the parking lot BEFORE he went to trade in. Anyway, I think you'll like your early model CC. Shoot the hell out of it, that's what it was made for.
Mine is #33xx, only 3 FTF's in it's entire life (>11K rounds of my own, quality reloads) and they were in the same session with S&B (soft recoiling) 230gr Ball, sacked out recoil spring and possibly sacked out CMC mag springs (In my CCW class, we had a "Factory only" ammo rule). It's reliability is scary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts