1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
24,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sent an Email to them politely informing those people of this. And this is the reply (verbatim) that I received back from Tim Sundles.

"No, it "indicates" that one round did not fire and if you knew more about firearms (now I'll get the lecture on what an expert you are) you'd know that.................read it if you want to............ FTF - Failure to Fire or ‘MIS-FIRES’"

Tim

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
"those people"...lol...and 1 of 20 is statistically insignificant anyway, so I understand the guy's attitude in having to deal people like you that think you should call up and ring his bell for it. I read the link and thought gee what an a** but then he get's that way because shooters call and complain about dumb stuff.

·
Registered
24,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"those people"...lol...and 1 of 20 is statistically insignificant anyway, so I understand the guy's attitude in having to deal people like you that think you should call up and ring his bell for it. I read the link and thought gee what an a** but then he get's that way because shooters call and complain about dumb stuff.
"statistically insignificant" Right it is only five percent.
People like me. What kind of person might that be?
"Call up and ring his bell." E-mail dude, e-mail, get it now?
"dumb stuff" Right bad ammo is dumb stuff.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would think he would want to know that quality control slipped one through. Perhaps a gun issue, but I’d think he would want to take a look at the round. I’m sorry that he thinks customers are such pains in his ass. I like Buffalo Bore Ammo. I have tons of it. This would change my mind if I received that response.

·
Registered
585 Posts
In the link he writes:

"The most common cause of ammo related FTF’s, in my experience, is from modern penetrating oils or solvents being left in the guns firing mechanism after a thorough cleaning. Those solvents, that have been designed expressly to penetrate, if left to excess inside the firing mechanism of a loaded firearm, can get into the primer pocket and contaminate the primer."

I actually had this happen to me, so now after cleaning a firearm, I place it in storage, barrel down, for a few days so any excess oils can drain away.

·
Premium Member
9,572 Posts
So I sent an Email to them politely informing those people of this. And this is the reply (verbatim) that I received back from Tim Sundles.

"No, it "indicates" that one round did not fire and if you knew more about firearms (now I'll get the lecture on what an expert you are) you'd know that.................read it if you want to............ FTF - Failure to Fire or ‘MIS-FIRES’"

Tim
LOL. I won't buy Buffalo Bore ammo anymore and I haven't for nearly 8 years... because of the owner... that Tim Sundles. He is the most arrogant, conceited, self-anointed expert on all things firearms. There are other boutique ammo companies out there that specialize in heavy loads, like Underwood and Double Tap. Both those two are a pleasure to do business with and will treat customers with respect.

I had an issue with a bunch of .357 magnum heavy loads (I bought 5 boxes) and in their catalogue they advertised it as "fully jacketed hollow point" but I got semi jacketed hollow point and I shot off an email asking why? That guy also responded with a snarly email and never directly answered my question. That guy has a really bad attitude as if no one... absolutely no one has the right to complain or say anything about his product that isn't some sort of praise or admiration.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Regardless of whether Tim is a prick, some good information in that link. I'm shooting at least 2 of those revolvers he mentioned.

·
Premium Member
9,572 Posts
Regardless of whether Tim is a prick, some good information in that link. I'm shooting at least 2 of those revolvers he mentioned.
Sure its easy for an ammo manufacturer to blame the firearm for a misfire, especially when they have only been able to source hard primers from foreign sources.

I have a S&W642 which is a DAO revolver as well as a S&W649 which is SA/DA with that enclosed hammer (difficult to cock and use in SA mode). There are some brands of foreign ammo, that have notoriously hard primers, and almost always in DA mode will fail to ignite. For some reason, the double action doesn't pull the hammer back enough to create the extra tension needed for hard primers. I know this because the ammo that failed to ignite in double action mode fired off just fine in single action.

Do I blame the firearm? No not really, I just avoid ammo that has known hard primers like much of S&B or Armscor ammo. Problem solved for me. I blamed the ammo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having had experience with an ammo purchase that had bad primers in 5% of the cases. I know because I disassembled them and found the primers never had any compound in them. They were absolutely shiny inside!
Also had some light strikes over the years and if the round did not fire on a subsequent attempt in another gun, it has always proven to be the ammo! Cannot recall ever "killing" a primer, although I understand his logic.

Seems like an arrogant p***k to me and I would never consider doing business with him.

Having owned my own business, experience has taught me to listen with an open ear. Sometimes it has given me valuable insight and helped in reaching a resolution that kept the customer happy, resulting in a continued business relationship.

An old gentleman I worked for when I was very young told me something of value, even today. "God gave you two ears and one mouth,... he was trying to tell you something!"

·
Registered
215 Posts

Tim
What would irritate me about this response is not getting a "Good shooting and God bless"

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've caused an underpowered round by over oiling the chamber. Heard a light poof and the slide didn't move. Round did exit the barrel at least. It was the first round of my carry load as I had been carrying it for months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
USMM, at least you got a response from them. I purchased a few boxes of Buffal Bore 10mm 180gr JHP. 5 cases or so, I forget exact number, were damaged. In the process I learned what the contaminating material was inside all the JHP cavities. No biggie. I too sent a polite e-mail with pictures. I heard nothing but crickets to this day.

I can understand if I had purchased a cheap ammo. The Buffalo Bore is not and as mentioned earlier, I can buy from others who have much better customer service. If you don't care, I don't care. My intent was to just make them aware they may have a potential equipment issue. Not so much as an apology, thank you, nada.
20210317_133954.jpg
20210317_134039.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've caused an underpowered round by over oiling the chamber. Heard a light poof and the slide didn't move. Round did exit the barrel at least. It was the first round of my carry load as I had been carrying it for months.
I was always taught that the barrel, and the chamber, by extension, should be dry, as an oily bore can raise pressures dangerously.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Tim
I would love to see an analysis of that round that didn't go off: bull the bullet, pour off the charge, and decap it; examine the primer from the inside.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I currently own two Kimber 84's and one 8400. I shoot handloads exclusively in all three. Want to guess what primer are in a large percentage of those loads? Yep Winchester! Want to guess how many FTF I have experienced? Yep ZERO! I am just a lucky SOB. Now every time the sights settle on a nice buck and my finger begins to press the trigger I'll be in constant fear that I'll hear a click instead of a Bang! NOT! I've never purchased his ammo in the past as 98% of my shooting is done with ammo I make myself. But now I know I never will. Loading your own has the benefit of being in control of Quality CONTROL.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts