1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my LW Compact back from SA. It's been a long ordeal, but I want to thank SA once again for their professional, courteous service.

Initial thoughts: Fit/finish looks great. One little, minor nick where they replaced the ambi with a single safety. No biggie. Frame to slide fit is smooth as butter.

Kudos to Mark for his trigger work. I'm guessing between 4 and 5 lbs. Crisp, no creep.

Hate the grips, but was planning on slim alumagrips anyway.

Can't put a shell behind the extractor hook and make it stay. It feeds and extracts fine, racking slide manually, but shooting it is different. Hopefully no issues there.

Sent me a target too: 2.5" at 25 yds. Pretty good to me, considering it's gonna be my carry weapon.

Future mods: Alumagrips, maybe a different spring/guide rod setup.

I will be posting a range report Sat. or Sun.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Question: Are the loaded models supposed to come with two mags? Mine only had one:confused:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I beleive most, if not all of the loaded are supposed to come with 2. Mil-specs, for the most part, come with one.
Dave

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well hells bells...reckon I need to get another sent. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congratulations! You showed waaaaaay more patience than I ever could! Glad to hear the good news.....

-B

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All right. I was barely able to make it to the range before dark (was duck hunting/getting rained on and freezing in 25mph winds). Anyway, I told myself I'd wait until Sat, but I couldn't.

I only got in 66 rounds: 60 WWB 230gr FMJ, and six Fed Hydra-shok 230gr. All fed and extracted beautifully. The extractor seemed to be a non-issue. In fact, all the brass was placed pretty close together as well (about 4 o'clock).

I'll definitely be getting new grips...ouch, with the serrated checkering.

Accuracy seemed pretty decent. It was a quick and dirty session (no rests), so I'll have to report more on that later.

Pretty satisfied. I'll post more this weekend, after I can put some more rounds through her.

p.s. I didn't kill any damn ducks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another comment. I wonder why they didn't use an anodized aluminum grip safety. The black plastic doesn't look very good. Does anybody know if they make a drop in (no fitting required) aluminum grip safety? Preferably anodized?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one on mine is. Since there aren't any good gun shops real close by, I can't go look at a bunch of them, but mine does.

BTW, as posted before, lastnight the gun fed and extracted the Hydra-shoks just fine. But just this afternoon I noticed that when you lock the slide back, insert the mag (w/hs's), and hit the slide stop, the slide just "clicks" forward a little, and doesn't feed the round. It's not every single time, but maybe 2/3. A few times, it stopped momentarily, and proceeded to feed.

As I said, I will fire many more rounds before I make any determinations on overall reliability, etc.:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
We're talking about the grip safety here right, not the mainspring housing? I'm kinda used to plastic mainspring housings on guns in this range now (but still don't like it), but this is the first I've heard of a plastic grip safety. You're talking about the part that swivels slightly, right? Where the webbing of your hand between thumb and pointer finger goes? If so, then we are definitely streadily descending into the abyss. (Doesn't surprise me though ... look at all the plastic on new Beretta 92's now)

If by chance youre talking about the lower half of the back of the grip, where there's a little hole for the internal lock, then I can stop freaking out. That's the mainspring housing.

If I am insulting you please accept my apology. I just can't believe they'd make a grip safety from plastic. It's like one piece at a time theyre turning the 1911 into a Glock. And nobody makes too much fuss because they just go to Brownell's and buy the steel parts later.

Maybe that law about banning plastic guns wasn't such a bad thing after all. Somebody let GWB know about this!!

·
Administrator
13,318 Posts
I've never seen a plastic grip safety . Factory or aftermarket .

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's plastic. If not, it's the strangest metal I've ever seen. I would use a magnet, but if it's aluminum that wouldn't work anyway. Y'all will probably want to hang me for this, but i just took my knife and scraped a very very small mark on the side of it (by the speed bump) and there was no shiny metal underneath.

The mainspring housing is metal (and checkered). While I don't like the g.s., I'll leave it if I can't find one that will drop in without without having to "fit" it.

I'll try to take a pic tonight and post it. I'm not that great with a camera, but hopefully I can get a good enough one to show the difference between the frame and the safety. And I have to believe that if it was metal, it'd have the same anodized finish.

I had them put a single sided safety on it. Could it be that they had to use a different grip safety because of that? I don't think so, but I'm no expert. I always thought that the ambi safety was just the stock thumb safety with a right hand piece attached to it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Forstr wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's plastic.
OK, first of all sorry again for double checking your semantics. Sounds like you know your pistol.

Now, having said that, let me be the first to say

***?!?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I said before, I'm no expert. Of course, you dont have to be an expert to tell metal from plastic, but it rea;;y does not feel or look like metal. Like I said, when I scraped it, there was no shiny surface underneath. I didn't really wnat to keep digging to find out what was below.

Maybe if Springfield is listening, they can put the issue to rest.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Its not plastic. There is no such thing as a plastic grip safety.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I guess I stand corrected. I guess the finish and the feel threw me.

I ask again, is there anybody who sells a grip safety with the same finish as the frame, that'll drop right in, or would I have to get the piece refinished to match?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The finish on the lightweight Compact frame is annodized, with the small parts blast blued. Most grip safeties on the market require some gunsmithing for proper function and fit and would probably have to be finished to match the pistol.

Mr. McVay is right. There are no plastic grip safeties. The grip safety on the lightweight Compact Springfield pistol is steel.

Forstr your mags shipped yesterday by 3 day select. You should have them shortly.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
springfield Custom
Springfield Inc.
[email protected]
800-680-6866

·
Administrator
13,318 Posts
Thanks Deb

We all appreciate when you have a moment to check in .

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, thanks for clearing that all up Deb. Let me tell all of you who may not know already...Deb, and the other folks at SA are the real deal.

Sure, I had some problems with a product, and had to wait a little while to get things straightened out, but dealing with folks like this makes it all worth it.

She read this thread and had my magazine in the mail before I even PM'd her about it. Thanks to these folks, I'll have everyhting in order for the holidays, when me and my bro will have a 1911 shoot-a-thon.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts