1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked a used stainless MK IV Series 80 for under $500. It seems to be pretty good condition. It looks like it's stored for a while it had lint inside the slide but cleand up real nice.

I compared it to my other S80 colt. I did notice a few differances. It says "Colt Goverment Model" whereas my blued one just says "Goverment Model" on the left side of the slide. Also it has a 4 pronged barrel bushing whereas the blued one has regular bushing.

I was wonder does any have an idea about when it was made, the serial # is SS247XX?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
congrats on a fine looking piece! Always feels good to add another pony to the stable!

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
SS2.......
I made sure that that Colt got new Pach grips and a new magazine. I also cleaned up the finish on it. It was a retired Wenatchee PD Colt. Pretty good value for less than $500.
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
470 Posts
SamColtFan

I made sure that that Colt got new Pach grips and a new magazine. I also cleaned up the finish on it.
SamColtFan- spreading his love one Colt at a time!:D

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
SS2.........

Mine is SS307XX and it was made in 1986. My guess would be that your pistol was made in 1985 or 1986.

Also, I'd give your Colt a real good cleaning before you take it out to the range. Also check your extractor tension. Should be a fun gun. Mine was a blast.

And yep, mine says Colt Government Model too and has the same stainless collet barrel bushing.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
nice guns Slapshot!

Slapshot,
Can you take a picture of your S80 when you field strip it? I want to know if the frame has the U cut or solid left rail design? Sure looks nice, I wouldn't have passed that model up! :)

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
NM.......
Mine has the solid rail. Slapshot2's was made before mine. I would assume that his has the solid rail too.

This one is the brother to Slapshot2's...... (Also a PD pistol.)

Attachments

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
The "slotted rail" (aka 10mm relief cut) didn't start showing up on .45 models until around 1991.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
in favor of the solid rail!

DSK,
Funny as this may seem. I really like Colt only to have a solid left frame rail. It's just the idea that a Colt 1911 should have the kicking pony or S80 rollmarks. You know, big letters and traditional timeless design. I feel that the general 1930 blueprints should rule on a gun marked "Colt". The S80 modification doesn't really bother me, however. :)

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
Re: in favor of the solid rail!

NATIONALMATCH said:
DSK,
Funny as this may seem. I really like Colt only to have a solid left frame rail. It's just the idea that a Colt 1911 should have the kicking pony or S80 rollmarks. You know, big letters and traditional timeless design. I feel that the general 1930 blueprints should rule on a gun marked "Colt". The S80 modification doesn't really bother me, however. :)
Well, that's the reason behind the new Series 70 guns. Now that the stainless ones are out I have scant use for my NRM Series 80.

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
slapshot2 said:
Thanks SCF, I really like those grips.

NM, It has the solid left rail.
SS2....
You're welcome. BTW, a couple of the grip screw slots were a little uneven. (Not my doing). The other Pach grips that were on the gun were pretty worn from carry. Thought the new ones would look better.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts