1911Forum banner

I got my TLE! I got my TLE!

1017 12
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubted when I went to the range this morning that I would be able to not buy the TLE/RL :). Especially after holding it last weekend.

So I bought it hehe. Filled out paperwork, paid, went to shoot my Ultra IIe. It had two FTE's again LOL!!! :barf: What a piece of trash( I'm even more jaded after my new TLE :rock: ).

Anywho by the time I finished firing that 50 rounds my TLE was ready to be all mine. I then went and sat down in the empty classroom at the range. Field stripped it wiped it well and lubed it up generously but not ridiculously.

The weapon then proceeded to fire 0-100 Rounds out of the box PERFECT!!! Zero problems ejecting extracting feeding NOTHING!!!! And deadly( yes it's an unnecessary adverb in this case, but damn this gun rocks :rock: ) accurate out to 15 yards with this being the first time I've ever even fired a Kimber TLE/RL. I stopped at the ammo shop on the way home and picked another few hundred rounds :p, tomorrow is another good day for shooting!

In conjunction with all the other reports, right before I bought this gun today I asked the fellow at the counter when they got the gun in from Kimber. Within two weeks or so ago. Last weekend when I held it, it had JUST arrived evidently and did I happen to mention if you didn't guess by now that it is an INTERNAL EXTRACTOR.

I won't beat the recall drum though because I know by reading all these forums that Kimber is taking care of people, so that's good. I am glad they are evidently moving away from that not-so-good external design. It's good to know that they can also shift gears if they have to. I don't know what I'll do with my Ultra though I may sell it now or get the extractor fixed then sell it, who knows. I know I'll prolly wind up with a Kahr 40 for carry and this TLE/RL for HD though. And the Kahr that I have been firing off and on has seemingly increased my trigger control ability when firing the 1911. I still think those two are good compliments to each other. Before I stray too far I'll depart for now.

Thanks for listening and what a weapon!!!! :rock:

I think this is also a good excuse to update my digital camera. I'll take some pics soon!

-Paul
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Tle

First off......congrats on your purchase of a fine weapon. I also own a TLE II. It has been flawless for 1500 rds. thus far. I have fired everything from 230gr. fmj (Fiocchi, and PMP), to 185 gr. jhp (Hornady xtp, Winchester Silvertips, and PMC starfire). This pistol has never bobbled once. Like you stated mine is VERY accurate too! The only mods I have made are:

1. I put a set of Black Carbon Creations grips on.

2. I put a S&A magwell on it.

I have changed my recoil springs 2 times, and changed my shock-buffer 3 times.

I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have had with mine.

Take care, Mike Arnold

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweetness!

The magwell sounds like a cool idea. Especially since I don't plan on carrying this one. Though I don't suspect a magwell would interfere with carrying it too much so.

What is the shock buffer?

Did the springs actually wear out, or were you adjusting the recoil/timing? What springs are you using presently and how are they working?

I never would have thought I'd like/love a stainless weapon so much. The rest of my weapons are all blue or black. Then again I am a demon about performance and the thing just performs well :rock: . I'll quit repeating that soon I'm sure. Riiiiight.

Life is just the beginning!

-Paul

· Registered
115 Posts
Re:

The shock buffer is a little piece of plastic (poly fiber) that slides over the guide rod in front of the recoil spring. It is supposed to dampen recoil and save the frame from taking a beating. I like them.......some don't. I believe that Kimber suggests for optimal performance, you should change your recoil spring every 1000 rds. or so. The buffers, I change when I see that they are all beat up. I get the Wilson combat Shok-Buff kit (#2g). It comes with (1) 18 1/2# recoil spring and (2) Shok-Buffs. I don't think it is necessary to do this.....but it is something I prefer. By the way, my TLE II has the dreaded external extractor. I am with you on this one, the TLE is AWESOME!! I also own a Stainless ultra carry (Series 1) that has been perfect through over 1000 rds. I have just ordered a Target match.....and I hope it is as good as my other two.

Take care, Mike Arnold

· Premium Member
96 Posts
Congrats on the new TLE. I just picked up a used one and am thrilled as well. Mine is also an internal extractor, because it is an early model of the TLE II, before the external extractor was launched.

Mich - mine is used but like new - paid $600. It is a regular TLE, not stainless and no rail.

Good luck and enjoy.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mich, I bought mine NIB. TLE/RL II. It has the integrated rail and night sights. I paid 989.00. I could have got it cheaper I'm sure, but I like buying from this gun shop, they take care of their customers very well. That and I dag'um sure didn't want my second 1911 to be a used one after the first ongoing fiasco with the Ultra IIe I have hehe..

· Registered
27 Posts
Thanks McKirdy. I have been quoted the same thing from two different places (Gander Mountain and a local shop) for a TLE II. They both told me that it would be $925. I personally think that is too high. There are only a handful of places around me that sell handguns so the pickin's are slim. Gander does have (2) 25th Anniversary Editions for $779 a piece though. And the regular Custom II's are only like $675.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on. I think the rifle I get, I am going to scour online etc and get the best possible price and have it shipped to this same gun shop. They are only 25 bucks to transfer if memory serves me correctly. Or I'll ask them if they want to match my cost with shipping and transfer. Now that I'm set on the HD front I'll haggle a little over the rifle I want to get :).

I just really wanted the rail and night sights to have a base package. I might still replace the trigger setup and some of the mim part, but this thing is performing unbelievably so far. I will need some parts anyway though because I am going to shoot it like mad. I went back for a second visit to the range this evening and put another 150 rounds through it including 50 rounds of 230 Remington GS JHP. Still zero flaws. Praise Murphy, but I think my trials and tribulations with the external is paying off ;).

I like making tiny holes into tiny bit bigger holes with this thing at ten yards hehe.

· Registered
260 Posts
I got my TLE/RL II a couple months ago and it runs like a champ.
It has the external extractor and have had no problems.
I got a once in a lifetime smokin deal. The gun was brand new the price was miss marked $680. I couldn't pass it up.

So I had money left over to get a Surefire X200A Weaponlight, Kimber Tactical wood grips, and a magwell.

McKirdy Try a spring tune up in your ultra, mainspring and recoil, possibly a extractor, and you may be suprised at what $12 worth of springs and a $20 extractor can do.

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
45procarry said:
McKirdy Try a spring tune up in your ultra, mainspring and recoil, possibly a extractor, and you may be suprised at what $12 worth of springs and a $20 extractor can do.
Funny you mention that. Now that I have an internal extractor versus the external I notice a key difference between them. The internal extractor has the effective tension of a gorilla's arm. The external has the tension of a well let's say <INSERT RIDICULOUS STATEMENT OF WEAKNESS HERE/>. I know I read in one of the other forums here that Wolff has an extra power external extractor spring for Kimber externals. I think I will order that and new recoil springs etc from them for the Ultra. I'll think of it as a last stay of execution :biglaugh: .

Beautiful pistol. That was one helluva deal, whatever you're doing in life, keep doing it because someone likes it.

Is that a magwell on it? How do you like the Surefire, brightness fit on the rail etc? Deciding on a light system is what I need to do next :p .

· Registered
260 Posts
I got the magwell from Kimber via their online store along with the grips. The Surefire LED light is great its smaller and lighter than any other light I looked at.

· Registered
678 Posts
i also have a kimber tle rl 2 its my baby my favrite pistol..this is a great gun its incredible and for has for the people that hate kimbers dont listen to them...i had 7 jams in 500 rounds hasnt jammed since and i now have 3400 rounds threw it...you wont be dissapointed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.