1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting handguns for 45 years.
About 10 years ago, at age 53, I began shaking.
I can hold solid as a rock still, but as soon as any pressure is applied to the trigger the front sight is useless. I can release pressure, get a solid sight picture again only to have a repeat situation. My 2" offhand groups at 75' now look like a shotgun blast. I can dry fire solid all day long. And no, I'm not recoil shy. I think this is something physical.
Kimber Gold Match 45
Springfield RO 9mm
Any simular experiences or remedies would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Yeah, I’ve been looking for that fountain of youth myself!
I don’t have that issue, but plenty of others that a bit of that water might help!
I’ll not pretend to give sound advice on physiology, but I bet the pressure is triggering certain nerve groups that are tired of you pounding on them! :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It's probably nothing, but I'd see a doctor. I'm 65 and I'll shake a little for the first few rounds if I'm shooting something like 45 out of a LW Commander or +P out of a LW, and I haven't shot for a few days. I just shot a Steel Challenge match last Saturday and I shook a little on the first set of targets, but I believe that was nervousness. After I warm up/get comfortable, the shaking stops.

The hands get weaker as we age and the blood flow and nerves in the hands get constricted to a degree. There are medical tests to determine the amount of constriction and/or nerve damage. Or, it might just be the onset of arthritis. I'd start taking Vitamin B12 to help repair damaged nerves at the very least.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
War Wagon.....just wait, it gets worse!
FWIW, I have been sure to eat & drink before shooting. I'm a smaller guy, but never had this issue when younger. So if it's just age I guess my competitive days are over. That sucks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Maybe do some shooting with a .22 and do some 'ball and dummy' drills (loading some dummy rounds into the magazine at random intervals) to help eliminate the possibility of anticipating recoil.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
War Wagon.....just wait, it gets worse!
FWIW, I have been sure to eat & drink before shooting. I'm a smaller guy, but never had this issue when younger. So if it's just age I guess my competitive days are over. That sucks.
I was fine until two discs in my neck went out. By the time I had the surgery to fuse the vertebrae I had lost the use of my left arm and hand for the most part, and the right had nerve "zingers" if I extended my right arm. Before the surgery, the surgeon told me that they could not predict how much use of my left hand/arm would be recoverable due to nerve damage, but I did recover about 95%, and my right side recovered almost 100%; that was 13 years ago. Fast forward to now, and although most is still there, I cannot shoot as accurately as I used to - not as steady, and arthritis and aging has reduced the strength some. I can still shoot pretty good, so I count my blessings that I don't have to start giving my guns to my heirs; at least not yet.

If I were you, I would have a talk with my doctor and find out what is causing the shaking when you apply grip pressure. It may be a simple condition that is easily fixed with physical therapy and/or exercise, or it may be a symptom of something else that is best caught early on. JME.

·
Premium Member
20,255 Posts
I squeeze a grip strengthener while watching TV. You'd be amazed how much that helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You are describing what is called intention tremor. There is still more to be known about your condition. Therefore, you need a neurologist (not just any MD). There may be some relief available with the proper drugs, but you cannot just train it away. You may find it comforting to remember that Parkinson’s tremor includes a different tremor which occurs at rest.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It happened to me a long time ago. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism that was fixed after a surgery (removal of 3/4 of the gland).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You are describing what is called intention tremor. There is still more to be known about your condition. Therefore, you need a neurologist (not just any MD). There may be some relief available with the proper drugs, but you cannot just train it away. You may find it comforting to remember that Parkinson’s tremor includes a different tremor which occurs at rest.
Well ****. It's been going on for 10 years, so I know I can't train it away. No history of parkinson's in family tree, and no shakes other than shooting.
Got a regular Dr appt coming up, so I'll ask about it.
Still seems weird that I can hold/dry fire just fine. Again....NO, I'm not anticipating recoil.

"An intention tremor is a tremor that becomes obvious and often exaggerated as the need for precise movement increases (also known as rubral, cerebellar or 'course' tremor) (O'suilleabhain & Dewey 2004, Weiner & Lang 2005)."

·
Administrator
71,903 Posts
Does it happen when you shoot a .22 or a rifle?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I can't help but I would like to know the answer myself. I at one time was respectable with a pistol. Now my scores are terrible. Some of my problem is jerking the trigger when sights are aligned( because they are seldom aligned). But at times I call a good shot and the inpact is off the target. I can not figure out why shots are so erratic when I call then
M good.

·
Administrator
71,903 Posts
While possibly not related to the OP's condition, arms and hand exercises are very important to a shooter. Use a squeeze ball, or better yet a hand exerciser that has a separate pad for each finger. Also hold heavy items out at arms length and keep them there for a few minutes, like a gallon milk jug. Your wife and kids may look at you funny but trust me it helps.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I squeeze a grip strengthener while watching TV. You'd be amazed how much that helps.
Yep it helps a lot, even when I was younger shooting in competition it was a part of my training. I now keep tennis balls in my vehicle and around the house.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I hate gettin old. I guess it's better than the alternative.

Getting old ain’t for pus.... uh... sissies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Prayers for you Texas Solo, it is rare for age to not catch up to us in one form or another, for some it’s a journey

1 - 20 of 66 Posts