1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a Mecgar. It has 8 witness holes on it, but I can' get more than 7 rounds in it.

I took the base plate off and the spring is normal size toward the follower but has a piece at the baseplate end that is much narrower. If I cut off the narrow chunk will I be able to get 8 rounds in it?

Thanks.

Don't Tread On Me

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it is the mag that came with it, then it is a seven round mag. Not sure how to convert it into an 8 round.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe Chip McCormick sells a spring/follower kit to convert a standard seven round mag to eight.

------------------
Steve

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
Leave it at 7 rounds! The 8-rounders are all garbage in my experience, save the Wilson units. I have exactly one Shooting Star magazine that has been reliable. The others I changed into 7-rounders a long time ago and for good reason.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
698 Posts
Amen to what Dsk said...stick with 7 rounders...one extra round is not worth sacrificing any reliability...I mean good grief...people made do with 5 and 6 shot revolvers for years...you've got 7+1...be content...and remember...it is a .45...how many do you really need...concentrate on getting precise hits!!! P.S. If you feel that you just have to have an 8 rounder...Wilson sells a conversion kit for your mag as well as complete 8 round mags.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<>> i don't know if the witness holes indicate how many rounds the magazine holds. i have mags for an uc that have 5 witness holes, yet hold 6 rounds and 7 rounds. some are cmc and others are kimber. raspy

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
These guys are wise. I say stick to the seven rounders. I've had too many problems with 8rd Chip McCormick Shooting Stars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just my .02 worth...
I have fired well over 10K rounds through THREE Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags. I cannot report any problems with the mags. I just fed 400rds to my new Kimber and again I used the CMC Shooting Star mags. I also use two Wilson 10rd mags. CMC and Wilson are both quality manufacturers in my experience.

good shootin', gf

·
2,975 Posts
What kind of problems are you guys having with CMC 8 round Magazines?

I have been using the same ones for many years now and haven't had a single problem that I can recall.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a friend who has had no problems at all with the CMC shooting star mags (many 10's of thousands of rounds). I had problems with 2 of the 3 that I owned. Usually the follower hanging about 3 rounds into the mag, or feeding the follower with the last round. I have 8 rounders from CMC (Power Mags), and have had no problems, 8 rounders also from Baer, no problems. My carry mags are Baer 7-rounders...superstitious I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO the Wilson mags are the only way to go. I've never had a mag related failure with a Wilson mag

Thru the years I think I've used every mag made and had trouble with most of them.

McCormick Shooting Star mags would be my second choice if there are no mag related failures.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not sure HOW this managed to continue in this forum, rather than being moved to the Mag forum...

Oh well... It's There now...

·
Administrator
74,416 Posts
Originally posted by James P:
What kind of problems are you guys having with CMC 8 round Magazines?

I have been using the same ones for many years now and haven't had a single problem that I can recall.
The rounds nosedive in the mag, causing FTF's. When fully loaded they're hard to insert. That's been my experience.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Just my opinion, but I bought two 8rd CMC shooting star mags. After about 100 or so rounds, they both started failures to feed, with the bullet noses hanging on the bottom of the feed ramp. Keep in mind this was even with quality FMJ ammo. I would send them back, but they were stolen out of my truck before I got a chance to. Luckily my Gov't. was in the house at the time. Just my .02 worth.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

1 - 14 of 14 Posts