1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a Mecgar. It has 8 witness holes on it, but I can' get more than 7 rounds in it.

I took the base plate off and the spring is normal size toward the follower but has a piece at the baseplate end that is much narrower. If I cut off the narrow chunk will I be able to get 8 rounds in it?

Thanks.

Don't Tread On Me

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it is the mag that came with it, then it is a seven round mag. Not sure how to convert it into an 8 round.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe Chip McCormick sells a spring/follower kit to convert a standard seven round mag to eight.

------------------
Steve

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Leave it at 7 rounds! The 8-rounders are all garbage in my experience, save the Wilson units. I have exactly one Shooting Star magazine that has been reliable. The others I changed into 7-rounders a long time ago and for good reason.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
698 Posts
Amen to what Dsk said...stick with 7 rounders...one extra round is not worth sacrificing any reliability...I mean good grief...people made do with 5 and 6 shot revolvers for years...you've got 7+1...be content...and remember...it is a .45...how many do you really need...concentrate on getting precise hits!!! P.S. If you feel that you just have to have an 8 rounder...Wilson sells a conversion kit for your mag as well as complete 8 round mags.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<>> i don't know if the witness holes indicate how many rounds the magazine holds. i have mags for an uc that have 5 witness holes, yet hold 6 rounds and 7 rounds. some are cmc and others are kimber. raspy

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
These guys are wise. I say stick to the seven rounders. I've had too many problems with 8rd Chip McCormick Shooting Stars.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
These guys are wise. I say stick to the seven rounders. I've had too many problems with 8rd Chip McCormick Shooting Stars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just my .02 worth...
I have fired well over 10K rounds through THREE Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags. I cannot report any problems with the mags. I just fed 400rds to my new Kimber and again I used the CMC Shooting Star mags. I also use two Wilson 10rd mags. CMC and Wilson are both quality manufacturers in my experience.

good shootin', gf

·
2,953 Posts
What kind of problems are you guys having with CMC 8 round Magazines?

I have been using the same ones for many years now and haven't had a single problem that I can recall.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a friend who has had no problems at all with the CMC shooting star mags (many 10's of thousands of rounds). I had problems with 2 of the 3 that I owned. Usually the follower hanging about 3 rounds into the mag, or feeding the follower with the last round. I have 8 rounders from CMC (Power Mags), and have had no problems, 8 rounders also from Baer, no problems. My carry mags are Baer 7-rounders...superstitious I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO the Wilson mags are the only way to go. I've never had a mag related failure with a Wilson mag

Thru the years I think I've used every mag made and had trouble with most of them.

McCormick Shooting Star mags would be my second choice if there are no mag related failures.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Not sure HOW this managed to continue in this forum, rather than being moved to the Mag forum...

Oh well... It's There now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.