1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a question about the mag that came with my Kimber

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  jaydee 
#1 ·
It is a Mecgar. It has 8 witness holes on it, but I can' get more than 7 rounds in it.

I took the base plate off and the spring is normal size toward the follower but has a piece at the baseplate end that is much narrower. If I cut off the narrow chunk will I be able to get 8 rounds in it?

Thanks.

Don't Tread On Me

#4 ·
Leave it at 7 rounds! The 8-rounders are all garbage in my experience, save the Wilson units. I have exactly one Shooting Star magazine that has been reliable. The others I changed into 7-rounders a long time ago and for good reason.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

#5 ·
Amen to what Dsk said...stick with 7 rounders...one extra round is not worth sacrificing any reliability...I mean good grief...people made do with 5 and 6 shot revolvers for years...you've got 7+1...be content...and remember...it is a .45...how many do you really need...concentrate on getting precise hits!!! P.S. If you feel that you just have to have an 8 rounder...Wilson sells a conversion kit for your mag as well as complete 8 round mags.

#9 ·
Just my .02 worth...
I have fired well over 10K rounds through THREE Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags. I cannot report any problems with the mags. I just fed 400rds to my new Kimber and again I used the CMC Shooting Star mags. I also use two Wilson 10rd mags. CMC and Wilson are both quality manufacturers in my experience.

good shootin', gf

#11 ·
I have a friend who has had no problems at all with the CMC shooting star mags (many 10's of thousands of rounds). I had problems with 2 of the 3 that I owned. Usually the follower hanging about 3 rounds into the mag, or feeding the follower with the last round. I have 8 rounders from CMC (Power Mags), and have had no problems, 8 rounders also from Baer, no problems. My carry mags are Baer 7-rounders...superstitious I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.