1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the only thing they have to offer is an assembly of parts made by everyone else, what are they selling? Would it be the labor in the production of it, and then a name stamped on it? If this is all they can lay claim to, whats the attraction if you already have 1911's that are made with the same components, but with a different name stamp.:confused:

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
If the examples I saw this weekend are representative of the guns hitting the streets, folks will be happy. Except for the light rail (non equipped models soon to come) and Series-80 FPS, I'm impressed. Concerning the issue of it being just an assembly of other people's parts, aren't they all?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I thought Keebler cookies only used magic?

The magic of elves at work? Does SIG use magic?:biglaugh:

Well I guess it's a good thing that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to make their 1911. I can't wait for a Bryco, Jennings, or Ford/GM to show-up. However I would like to see a Honda or Yamaha 1911.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When I was in the Army I had a M-16 made by GM's Saginaw Steering Gear.

It would be neat to have a GM 1911, complete with a 36,000 round warranty, 24-hour range service, and the best part, a one year service contract for "On Target." They could engineer a device to remind you to change your oil, and let you know when your springs were getting flat. Oh, the possibilities. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
What you have is a company that keeps seeing the LEO community and Military putting out request for product that ask for a:
.45acp caliber semi auto w/
external safty and a SINGLE ACTION trigger that shoots less than 2 inches at 25 yards.
And the 1911 keeps answering the call.
Sig didn't have a pistol to submit (neither does H&K, Glock etc), so a company that has a long standing tradition with providing the LEO and Military with firearms was losing these nice contracts. And when you lose those nice contracts you lose all that nice free press that we all love to read so much. And when you lose that, then you start losing market share, and when you lose market share well....you get the picture.

There are a couple of other things IMO that are driving 1911's, the high cap ban is one. If you can't stuff 15 or 18 rounds of hole makers, then get something that makes bigger holes.
And if you are going to get a bigger hole maker, then get something that is easy to carry and conceal. The 1911 although heavy is much easier to conceal than its bulker counterparts. Then of course you have the WOW factor. That is WOW I have the same gun as the FBI SWAT, or WOW did you know that Special Forces uses the 1911 and WOW the 9mm is failing in the Gulf and they are using the .45acp, like me.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ill be the first to buy a honda 1911. Their motorcycles and small engines just wont quit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sig is offering the same thing S&W is, except with the reputation of Sig quality. I never even considered buying a S&W 1911, but I'm now scamming for ways to raise some funds for the Sig.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Smith & Wesson's version uses proprietary (non-interchangeable)parts. The Sig utilizes top shelf, standard fit 1911 parts.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Smith & Wesson's version uses proprietary (non-interchangeable)parts. The Sig utilizes top shelf, standard fit 1911 parts.
I think that this is a good thing. Lawyers force manufactures to put in an internal safety and S&W elected to use something that does not effect the trigger pull like series 80 does. So, the grip safety may not interchage with a drop in part, but the Wilson part they use is good enough for most people. Sig elected to do nothing original at all. Series 80 on a Caspian frame and slide. They are just jumping on the bandwagon to ride the wave of popularity of 1911's right now. I am not saying this is a bad thing. It's like Porche building an SUV. They would be stupid not to. And the fact that they are not doing anything out of the oridinary means the pistol will be pretty good out of the box. Who knows? I may even buy one. ...Black S/S with a rail. I don't have one like that...:D

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Built in the Black Forest.
By elves.
Using magic.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Even if the Sig is just a handfit collection of parts, if it can retail for $850, it'll blow the lid off of anything else handfit. I posted a thread in the GD section about what's the cheapest you can get a handfit gun, and most came back saying $1k+.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Jakemartens, I agree I believe it came out of the race for the MEU's new yet to be announced 1911. FYI, the DET 1 pistol is different than the new MEU pistol. The Kimber is the new ICQB pistol for the Marines new DET 1 unit and it is seperate from the MEU and their pistols. I'm not sure when the MEU will announce their pistol. It will be very interesting!

·
Registered
685 Posts
After 8 years of the Clinton administration and the surprise attacks of 9/11 the military found itself needing lots of new things. Let's face it $86 billion isn't to just help rebuild Iraq, it is to also help rebuild our military to fight close quarter battles and terrorist/guerilla warfare. Which is why we see the 1911/.45acp coming back in the hands of our military guys. The gun was designed to stop an attacker at close range and work in harsh enviroments.
You also have several mid to large size cities that are taking a look at their equipment and what they would need in case of another attack in their cities. Attacks on power plants, malls, aparment buildings, and hostage situations and they too are looking at updating their equipment. And the shooters on those teams that know what they are doing keep coming up with a want for a 1911/.45acp. They also are taking a look at what the big boys are playing with and want the samething.

·
Registered
346 Posts
norman74 said:
Even if the Sig is just a handfit collection of parts, if it can retail for $850, it'll blow the lid off of anything else handfit.
I think I read somewhere that they were going to retail for around $1200.

There is one for sale on Guns America for $1079.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts