1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been anxiously awaiting a new Colt 1911 WWI Reproduction. My dealer has been a bit slow getting one in stock for me. I have the cash in hand ready for the purchase as soon as he gets it. I have one of the new Colt 1911A1 WWII Reproductions and some examples of the New Stainless and Blue Series 70 2nd Generations. I also have some examples of the Kimber Series I 1911s, so I really don't need any more 1911s. I kinda like the WWII as it is a natural companion to my M1 Garand, but I have no particular need or use for the WWI. It seems like a really nice gun, but after reading DSK's review, I would probably never shoot it if I bought it. I am in the market for a new AR15 M4 Carbine, and I have a NIB Remington 700P awaiting a trip to Iron Brigade Armory for a basic tune-up and scope installation. I also have my eye on a new SA M1A Bush Rifle that has been collecting dust at my dealer for almost a year now. I could accomplish any of these other three projects for about what I have saved up for the Colt WWI. If somebody doesn't convince me to hang onto my cash and wait on the Colt WWI, I will probably go ahead with one of these other projects and tell my dealer to forget the WWI. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
147 Posts
And three years from now, you'll see a WWI repro on the shelf for $1500, and you'll kick yourself because you could have gotten one for 950 when you had the chance.

Just buy it. The WWII repro needs a buddy anyway.

The M1A ain't going anywhere, and the longer it stays on the shelf gives you more wiggle room on the price.

Buying that M4 now would also be a serious mistake, IMO. The reason? The AW ban is probably going away, and you'll be able to get an LEO-marked (but now legal) semi-auto AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine for nearly the same price.

I'm totally serious. I went to the big Phoenix gunshow last week and one dealer had multiple LEO AR-15 Govt carbines and Tactical carbines (all semi) for sale to officers with letterhead.

Those guns will be available to you and I the day after the ban expires.

And all the postban Colts will be going for bargain prices as well...

·
Registered
71 Posts
The WWI Replica is too pretty to shoot. I bought it to shoot. I never shot it. I traded it for a used armalite 180B and a used G17.
If I'm gonna invest $900.00 , I'm gonna get something that pays a dividend. I don't trade stocks or guns hoping for upside potential. DSK said the WWI aint a shooter. I'll take his word for it. I say the WWI is too pretty to shoot.
If you have 900 to kill, go for it. I think there are some cowboy shootin events that allow semi autos to compete if they are stock and of a certain period. The WWI Replica is allowed at these events.

·
Administrator
74,631 Posts
I say buy it. Ten years from now somebody will gladly give you what you paid for it if you change your mind. I say it's not a shooter simply because I don't know why anyone would buy a gun based on its beautiful finish, then proceed to wear it off.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If I were to buy one, I'd shoot it without hesitation, and wouldn't mind the finish wear at all, as a gun with some light honest wear just has character to me. The minor reason I haven't bought one is that Colt stamped the roll marks in and didn't polish over them to smooth out the edges as on the originals, leaving ugly raised edges around the markings, whereas on the original the markings are all crisp and smooth. The main reason I haven't bought one yet is that I paid a lot less than $900 for a very respectable, all original 1911 which I enjoy shooting.

Somehow, paying more than that for a REPRO when you have a genuine, WW1 veteran in the safe just doesn't seem right. Sure, my nearly 100 year old Colt doesn't have the drop-dead gorgeous blue of the repro... but the repro wasn't THERE IN THE TRENCHES, either!

Mind you, it took me years of looking to find just the right deal on my bargain, original 1911, while with only six or eight months of haunting dealers and pestering the crap out of them, in theory you can get your WW1 repro a lot easier... right??

:)
John

·
Registered
308 Posts
i like the idea of the WW1&WW2 repros and i'd shoot them if i had 'em. i didn't buy either, though. the reason is for the money i can beat the bushes and get the real thing locally. besides, these are the guns colt should be making as standard production (yeah, i know about product liability being the reason for LTD production). still, for <$1,000 i'd rather get a US property marked real M1911/1911A1. just mho...

·
Banned
277 Posts
I'll take a different turn...

If you buy shooters then skip it. I was looking at one myself, but they release them in lots of 5 and ordering one is mind-numbing. You spend $950 and one thread post says at least you will get your $ back later whereas another says it'll be worth $1500 years later. I say $950 2003 US dollars will be worth $1,500 too in a few years. With inflation you will need to do better than that for a pure investment. If you can't live with merely showing it off & polishing it w a diaper, or can't afford nearly 1000 for a bragging rights piece than skip it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
guns as investment

If you are working on return on investment put money in the stock market or the bank. If you are buying guns, purchase quality guns with the potential of getting more valuable, but that is not the sole reason to base you choice on. I have some guns that have gone up 3-4 times what I paid for them new. I have others that I have taken care of but used a lot that are worth double. Would I be happier if I had a gun thats worth 5 times what I paid for it, but its new in the box and a safe queen, no not even. First I usually don't sell or horse trade many guns, and when I do get a trader it was identified as that from day one just waiting for the right circumstances to move it. I buy what I like take good care of it, and shoot it.

I get a lot more enjoyment shooting my guns, than I ever would checking my bank balance.

I missed some very good deals over the years, like HK P7M13 and a few others like that when they could be had for a song. I missed them then and now I will pay a lot to get one, win some lose some. I am getting short on the list to get a Colt WW1 and I anticipate around Feb if all goes right. Will I shoot it, most probably, will I baby it and take extra special care of it to keep it like factory................count on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts