1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to simplify my life. Smaller, plainer bikes. Pistols with few parts. And trying to put a lot less crap on my belts and in my pockets.

For most of my life I carried folders, and now they just aren't working for me. I do not carry a knife for defense, and I must admit that I never really did. I always felt that knife fights were for the mentally deficient and/or the writers in Tactical Knives.

If you looked at 100% of my knife uses, that would boil down to food prep, loose laundry threads and opening UPS boxes--with food prep perhaps 75% of the chores.

My wife and I go to the coffee bar after the gym in the morning, and by that time I'm craving chicken on flatbread. My wife is one of those women who likes to eat off her hubby's plate, and I usually slice off a section to keep her at bay. Folders get goo in the pivots, and while no biggie, it's another chore for me when I get home.

I decided to go with smaller, simple fixed blades. I've been toying around with that ZT0121, just because it works and I like ZTs. But it's a lot of steel, it prints like crazy, and frankly, once it's drawn from behind my left kidney it's a pain to slip back into the sheath.

I thought about horizontal carry, but the 0121 has almost no custom sheath makers, the knife needs to be secured due to weight, and anything IWB or behind my back bothers me when I sit. I saw a guy wearing a knife shoulder holster once and dismissed him as a Rambozo.

I like the simple utility of fixed, but the ease of carry of a folder. I did carry a smaller Graham Brothers Razel for a bit, and I've been wondering if a original Izula (with the shorter handle) could replace the right side front pocket folder.

I had a Candiru, but thought it was a bit on the small side.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, that's the profile I like.

I do like the Pro Skinner design, but that "3 year" wait isn't going to work for me. I'm going to root around in the computer today and see that the secondary market holds.

Thanks for the link and the idea.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
My EDC is the small leatherman squirt?? on a lanyard that has a monkey's fist on the end. It rides in my left pocket fist out. My EX-10 torch rides in my right, fist out.

If I'm cutting food, I either clean it up real well or use a food knife.

If I went fixed blade, it would ride IWB behind my gun. I probably won't.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Yup, that's the profile I like.

I do like the Pro Skinner design, but that "3 year" wait isn't going to work for me. I'm going to root around in the computer today and see that the secondary market holds.

Thanks for the link and the idea.
The first three dealers on the 'Links' page have a fairly regular supply. Also eBay. I've never heard anything but praise for the edge-holding ability of Bob's D2 blades, and when you see some of his higher-end Loveless inspired knives, you might wet yourself a little.
L.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D2 blades
As a polisher and knife user, if I my collection could utilize only one alloy it would be D2. There's some chromium in it, but carbon and some vanadium, and that makes a good edge as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
As a polisher and knife user, if I my collection could utilize only one alloy it would be D2. There's some chromium in it, but carbon and some vanadium, and that makes a good edge as far as I'm concerned.
I think most of the high-polish Doziers are now CTS-40 CP. If I recall correctly, I think he switched because of the polish that he was able to get with that steel. I think all of the 'working' knives have been D2 for a long time.

On occasion, I wish I had more money - ;)
http://www.knifepurveyor.com/bob_dozier_stag_loveless_style_utility_i_knife_4304.aspx

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CTS-40 CP...because of the polish that he was able to get with that steel
There is that consideration, I do it myself.

If a guy likes to collect Bowie knives, for example, and he wants me to put a high-polish bevel on it for display, I tell him to buy a knife made from 440C.

Lots of alloys in that family have anywhere from 16 to 20 percent chromium, and with Ken's stones, a little nagura and some paste, I can make the edge shinier than the blade blank.

As an example, below is a garden variety Buck 112 made from 420, I believe.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/TheTourist_bucket/001-24.jpg

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Tourist,
Not sure my last PM got through. I have some kydex, enough for a pancake style sheath for the 0121. PM me your address & I'll get it mailed off.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the Spartan for the same reasons I like the ESEE Izula models. At the end of the day the my personal EDC use is based on cost. As a dealer, I get deals on ESEE products.

But if I got a Spartan for my birthday, I'd polish it, eat with it, fondle it, sleep with it...

You know, the usual bladehead worship. This is the kind of knife that most people really need, and if they'd try it they'd never go back to some of the unadulterated crap in TK.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Why not go to a gunshow, find a knifemaker, and if he doesn't have your dream piece, have something made that fits your needs? Small knives of the type you seek are really not that expensive. Often you will have a choice of steels, handle materials, and sheath options, something you don't get with production knives. I've had a few knives made specifically for myself, they've all been worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why not go to a gunshow, find a knifemaker, and if he doesn't have your dream piece, have something made that fits your needs?
Oh, great! Now I'll start a third expensive hobby...LOL

You are 100% right, I'd love a knife like that. And I'm sure while pricey, I'd actually use it to its full potential, and in the end it would not go to waste. The problem is that "knives" have become a commodity here. One of my hobbies is now a 'business.'

This might sound odd, but I need is a jackknife. An edge to cut stuff, get covered in mayonnaise, wiped off with a paper napkin and shoved back into my blue jeans. In other words, a 'tool.'

When something is crafted, and perfect, and flawless it goes to collectors or hard-use hunters. Guys that need or respect that end of the industry. For example, I know a woman at our coffee bar that feels she owes her life to the EMT who cut her out of a wreck. She bought him a "perfect" knife--and baked him a huge box of his favorite tollhouse cookies.

I take Boker Plus or ZT knives and fix them. Those I carry.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
How about a sod-buster? Case makes a good one, Boker makes a good one, etc. Nothing fancy, just a folding knife. Lots of different makers out there, it's a traditional pattern, and well-proven by any measure. And most importantly, long enough to get to the bottom of the mayo jar...

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
How about a sod-buster? Case makes a good one, Boker makes a good one, etc. Nothing fancy, just a folding knife. Lots of different makers out there, it's a traditional pattern, and well-proven by any measure. And most importantly, long enough to get to the bottom of the mayo jar...
LOL, that line reminded me of a Case trapper I picked up on eBay several years ago. The bolsters on it and a few other knives had been hand engraved for the folks selling it by a friend of theirs who usually did engraving on show bridles, spurs, and other more equestrian metal items. Not long after I received this:

It went into my pocket. The wife and I went to the Blue Star Art Gallery and Micro-Brewery in San Antonio to meet some friends for dinner. They were running late and we were hungry so we ordered a quesadilla to take the edge off. The waitress brought it and all the sour cream, pico, guacamole, etc., to go with it, but no flatware of any kind. The place was kinda busy and we couldn't get her attention for nothing short of getting up and chasing her down. So... I pulled out my artsy fartsy bolstered Case trapper, opened out the spey blade (and yes I know what they were originally used for) and proceeded to dip and slather goodies onto my quesadilla. Worked just fine. :rock:

Thanks for reminding me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts