1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have got mine!, a new Trojan.

My first 1911, my first STI, my first 45ACP.
A TROJAN with 6" barrel.
4 months of reading this forum, dreaming with mr Camp's review, hesitate between model and barrel lenght, paperworks and 4 days to jump on this one witch was on shelf and have it in my hand.
I was nervous, it's a lot of money for something only see on pictures. But it is has you say, good looking, tight enough to see that he was well made and hope of accuracy but not too tight to have problem until break-in (for a 1911 rookie i think it's a good thing, i have enough to learn). I haven't shoot a lot of friend's 1911 at my range but this is the first that i can shake without noise (i know a Baer in my neighbour but i haven't pleasure to give it a try).
The sights look good and with the sight radius i think 10 will be mine :).
The trigger weight 4.4 lbs, a little heavy for my taste but it is new ( not really new now, i have bought a couple of snap cap and the first one is dead by dry-firing!) and my smith say to use it for a while before send him for tuning.
Next step will be the range, and yet i begin to be nervous again. Will it be flaw proof, as accurate as i hope ( i just punch paper targets but i like them well punch), will it feel good in my hand while shooting?. Nervous but ready with 200 cases of S&B 230gr FMJ to see how it work before using my own reload (175 or 200gr lead SWC).

A little, maybe silly question as i haven't see nothing about here. What is the value of a click on STI sight ?.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Re: I have got mine!, a new Trojan.

A little, maybe silly question as i haven't see nothing about here. What is the value of a click on STI sight ?.
Not much!

Seriously, there're not calibrated like scope sights. Generally, you have to click in 4-6 click increments. Maybe fine tune in 2-3 clicks. The movement is very fine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Congrats!!!! My guess is - you are going to love it..!!! While all my Trojan's are 5" - I can imagine that the 6" might be a bit more accurate - if that's possible....

Couple of other comments... I think your 'smith is right and you'll find that the trigger will set as you go through the break-in. On both my .45 and .40 - there was a little creep, but both are excellent now....

And - I'd enjoy reading your range report - and seeing some pics!!!!

Congrats again and a terrific choice!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
haha i just bought one today too. got a STI Trojan in 45acp 5in model

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Boardride said:
haha i just bought one today too. got a STI Trojan in 45acp 5in model
Hey Boardride...!!!

You must'a not read the unwritten rules of this Forum?? ;) It clearly reads that you can't just "sneak" into another thread - and post you "bought one today, too"... ??? ;)

In short, and according the the unwritten rules as read - you must start a NEW thread - and post pictures, and post a range report - and.. Well, that's enough to begin with... :D

Seriously - congrats!!! Post back how it shoots, and pics if you have a few minutes..!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100 cartridges fired today and my nervosity blow away, yes it's a good gun, yes it's accurate, yes i feel good and hope going better and better.

2 FTF, one at the beginning the other at the end!. A friend tell me that S&B are very hot, maybe the spring not enough harder?. Anyway i have just a hundred more of those to shoot tomorrow before switching to target reload, 175gr SWC or 200gr SWC home cast, if needed i have a 12lbs ready.

Kbear38s, i click as with my sub6 hold i was too low, as you suggest i take a great number, a half-turn and it will done. I will refine later.

Jd-08 your right the trigger need break-in and it's going better right now ( me also need to be accustomed ).

My first 70 shots, 25m onehanded, the target is an ISSF slowfire.

Maybe some more pics tomorrow. I plan a great range activity, 100 S&B in morning, cleaning at 12 and test of target reload in the afternoon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
oh uh oops.

im just going to tag a little range report on to this thread. i shot about 120 rounds before i had to start work, i work at the range. i had a number of failure to extract and acouple feeding problems. the extraction problems were fixed by tweakin the extractor alittle but the failure to feed was caused by the mag that came with it. the rounds would nose dive and jam up. i need to find some mags that are reliabe and that can fully activate the slide catch. the wilson mags i have would not fully engage the slide catch lever and would only grab the very corner of the slide which is disconcerning since it could round off that part of the slide which would be a mess. other than that is was a tack driver.
im going to replace the slim grips with regular grips and throw a mag well on it. i didnt know that the Trojan had a ramped barrel. a friend of mine has a Trojan too but does not have a ramped barrel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello mr Camp, the man who drive me on STI road with some "range report". I have no regrets.

Today:
100 S&B FMJ without flaw
50 reload 175gr lead SWC, 1 FTF maybe a mag tuning will be needed ?.
50 reload 200gr lead SWC home cast, a lot of FTF, mag tuning needed. When bullet is extract from mag the head was push again the lower part of the feed ramp.

The trigger break-in slowly, but was alway a drawback for my shooting, to much effort not enought smooth for a one handed shoot.

I wasn't testing accuracy, but i couldn't only throw bullet on target. While i was finishing my stock of S&B i made 8 (no one more, no one less) shots at my very best level, steady rest, good grip, clear head, clear sights and despite the trigger a nice pull.
The result is in the target, i let you found where and count the 8 holes ;-). This gun is definitively accurate, that made me a little more impatient to have a good trigger and build a good reload.
25m, the X ring is about one inch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hello boardride,
i was so please by my trojan that i have forgot to congrats you for your's.
1 inch on the barrel doesn't make difference on feeding, in fact we have the same problem of "nose diving". I have 2 FTF on 200 round with FMJ but problem increase with lead SWC as cartridge lenght decrease. I hope that mag need only "break-in", i have bought two extra mag and don't be happy to spend money in another one!. The first who cure the problem tell the other, maybe someone could help us?.

·
Registered
146 Posts
im pretty sure its the stock mag that comes with it. it didint do it on my Wilson mags. the only reason im not using my Wilson mags is because it doesnt not fully engage the slide catch. it just barely hits the notch in the slide and if i use them they will round off the slide. im thinking about trying the Les Bear mags and Ed Brown mags and see what happens. other than the feeding problems i had a few failure to extract, i just tweaked on the extractor and the problem was cured.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
pascalp said:
..... maybe someone could help us?.
First of all - Nice Shooting - nice target!!! Sounds like both boardride and pascalp have "keepers" - congrats!!

OK - a couple of comments......

pascalp - you mentioned that you are having the rounds submarine - which honestly - could be a few things. The mag you already identified - but the pick-up/release is governed by two things, the mag spring and the mag lips. I'm not sure if you said the Wilson's solve the problem or not - but if they do, I'm pretty sure then your problem is most likely a mag issue. Other variables that can effect the cartridge pick-up are: the extractor needs to be tuned if it's preventing the cartridge base/rim to slide up the breechface; or the OAL of the loaded round (what is the OAL you are reloading to?); or even that the throat has an imperfection..? HOWEVER - I'm guessing it's the mag in your case based on what you've posted so far....

Also - on your trigger - you can dress that a bit by forcing it. DO NOT DO THIS A LOT, as if will force the wear points on the sear/hammer hooks. With the slide off, and the hammer cocked - take a drop of oil, and put it on the front of the base of the hammer. Wait a minute (so the oil can go down to the hook/sear area. Take a gun rag, and put it in front of your hammer, protecting where the hammer would contact the frame (so you don't mar the frame). Next, grasp the hammer, and "pull it forward" while releasing the trigger. Do this 2 or 3 times. Now - see if your trigger is smoother. If so - leave it!! If not - take it to a 'smith to do a trigger to your spec. However - I will tell you that a "crisp" 4.5 pound trigger can feel like 3.5 pounds to most folks...

Anyway - hope this helps!! Great shooting - and terrific .45s..!!!! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
boardride,
too bad and too late for me, i have place an order on a "7 round" wilson mag. Which capacity is yours, maybe the 7,8 or 10 haven't the same design?.
I have read some chapters on the "sightm1911" forum about magazine, the 7 wilson is on the top. Have a look at them, you could found something, i don't understand all and i'm too new on 1911.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jd-08, thanks for yours comments.
I think it's really a mag problem (i have now, STI mag), the follower (and/or spring) didn't keep the nose of the cartridge enough up to reach the ramp in a good way. It was quite OK with hardball but with SWC with shortest OAL that sound different.
For the trigger i have already try what you suggest, maybe i don'ty do it right ?. I will take time, one or two thousand round/dry-fire before smith and have the long trigger replace by a short one, i will really enjoy a smooth, crisp, 3 pounds trigger (even 3.5 will do the trick).
I think i will manage this two problems and that let's me with a very fine gun and a lot of pleasure.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi pascalp,

You are most welcome!! It is terrific to read your posts and how excited you are about your STI - even with some small problems which I'm sure will work out just fine.

I look farward to your next report on whether the mags fixed your feeding problem - so please post back after you have had a chance to go to the range and try them out..!

Maybe we can persuade Boardride to post pictures as well..!! :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think i figured out what was wrong. the slide stop is really stiff so its not able to move as freely as it should to engage the notch on the frame. im going to replace it with a Ed Brown SS slide catch and while im at it im going to replace the thumb safety to an SS ambi, regular grip panels, extended magwell and a SS mag release so that the small parts with match the stainless steel bushing and barrel. i put on a Kimber slide catch and it worked great. well see how it goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello JD-08,
you want news of my STI. Just 2 x 50 more rounds since the last time (175gr LSWC).

on monday
50 rounds, 1 failed to feed at the begin, number 6, the first of a mag as i shot 5 by 5. try with my new wilson mag and the feed where OK.
return to sti mag for the next 40 with no failure to feed.
All the FTF that i had hapen on the first round, maybe a "weak grip" problem, i'll try to have a strong grip even for loading.

today
50 rounds with no problem. strong grip, slide break-in, luck ...?
i have done it one more time and yes i was lucky, lucky to do-it on a new target!.
25m, onehanded, 5 shot.

did i say that this pistol is terrific.
i think to make the same change as boardride, some stainless part to have the look of the rangemaster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts