1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had problems fully depressing grip safety until I got
pistols with beaver tail grip safeties. If there is one
thing I don't like on a 1911, it's a beaver-tail grip safety.

Why do I and some others sometimes fail to fully depress
beaver tail grip safeties when the same exact motion reliably
disengages GI grip safety 100% of the time?

I thought it was just me, but I see that over on pistolsmith.com,
they're talking about "pinning" beaver tail grip safeties for
more reliable disengagement of safety.

So, what is it about the beaver tail grip safety that causes
this problem, when JMB design did not have this problem?
:hrm:

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I dunno, for me the beavertail disengages just fine.

Perhaps the slightly higher hand position sometimes afforded by the beavertail is changing the amount of pressure your grip applies to the safety?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don't have that problem with any of mine.

You can change the sensitivity of the blocking arm to disengage earlier.This may be an option for you.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The beavertail allows you to "grip" the gun higher than the standard beavertail.

When that occurs, along with your thumb on the safety, your(my) hands basically pushes up as opposed to down like with a traditional hold. The beavertail often does not "pivot" with this hold. They can be adjusted, somewhat, and different styles of beavertails are harder to engage than others, for me at least.

If you hold with a "low" grip and thumps down, you should have no touble depressing a beavertail safety, similiar to the standard.
I lot depends on you hand style and hold IMO.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Get a beavertail with the extra pad at the bottom.

I ride my thumb on the thumb safety when I shoot and experience the same problem sometimes if my hand position is not just right....as in from the draw on occassion. With the thumb on the thumb safety, the hand is very high up on the pistol and the web of the hand is so close to the pivot point of the grip safety that is doesn't reliably depress the bottom half of the grip safety enough to depress it all the way to disengage it. It may just be my hands are not all that big. I plan on getting the grip safety with the extra pad on the bottom to see if that will help....I'm guessing it will.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Irishlad said:
The beavertail allows you to "grip" the gun higher than the standard beavertail.

When that occurs, along with your thumb on the safety, your(my) hands basically pushes up as opposed to down like with a traditional hold. The beavertail often does not "pivot" with this hold. They can be adjusted, somewhat, and different styles of beavertails are harder to engage than others, for me at least.

If you hold with a "low" grip and thumps down, you should have no touble depressing a beavertail safety, similiar to the standard.
I lot depends on you hand style and hold IMO.
I find that I always get an answer to my questions on this
forum. I could do without some of the non-posts, however :rolleyes:

What do posts like "Works for me, something must be wrong with
you or your POS pistol" really do other than spread
around ill will and touch off fire-storms of puerile internet flame
wars? :confused:

thanks again Irishlad

Jae

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Saab1911 said:

thanks again Irishlad

Jae
Maybe perhaps you are being just a little too sensitive about the answers you received. I didn't read where anybody said your pistol was a POS or that anything was specifically wrong with you. People were trying to be helpful and relate their experiences and offer advise in answer to your question.

I can see how you might have been offended by Mike Benedicts response though. But once you get to know and love Mike, you will find he's a prick to everybody, so don't take it too personal. :biglaugh:

TK

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
T. Kanaley said:
But once you get to know and love Mike, you will find he's a prick to everybody, so don't take it too personal.
Yeah, we don't even include Mike in the running anymore, when the 1911Forum Employee of the Month award is given out. :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
T. Kanaley said:
But once you get to know and love Mike, you will find he's a prick to everybody, so don't take it too personal. :biglaugh:

TK
Ahhh, go ahead, take it personally.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,297 Posts
Even beavertails with large speedbumps get pinned, at my house. Something about my hand size/shape and my grip that is just not compatible with the 1911 grip safety. I was doodling a grip safety that pivoted at the bottom, a la Colt M1903 and M1908, and while it looks like h**l, it would work a lot better than the top-pivoting one.
The hole through which the thumb safety pin passes is elongated, and a pivot pin is added just above the mainspring housing. The "finger" that extends forward would have to be reshaped, to work on the trigger bow in reverse, but I think it could be done; not that anyone would necessarily want to.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't upset

Ricky T said:
Ahhh, go ahead, take it personally.
The disparity between the thought and care Irishlad put into
his post to exactly diagnose my problem even though in hindsight
I didn't provide as much information as I should have stuck out
in stark contrast to the nonchalance of posts which preceded his.
And that's what I've noticed on this forum. There are some
really knowledgeable and helpful people and then there are
non-posters whose posts just fill up space which I just have
to skim over to get to the good stuff.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Maybe you could just PM those folks whose opinion you value and save yourself the angst from the nonchalance postings of the non posters.;)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Jae,

No one flamed, insulted, belittled, offended or otherwise broke any rules on this forum.

Just because ALL the posts in your thread do not give you the answers that you require, is no reason to get all bent out of shape.

And that's what I've noticed on this forum. There are some
really knowledgeable and helpful people and then there are
non-posters whose posts just fill up space which I just have
to skim over to get to the good stuff.
Welcome to the internet.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Saab1911, your not the only one in that boat. I have troubles engaging the high ride safeties( ala Ed Brown). So I've tuned mine as much as possible without totally deactivating it.

I couldn't describe it any better than Irishlad, he hit the nail on the head.

For what it's worth I have no problems at all with the standard grip safties.... which is what I prefer anyway :) .

JeffC

·
Registered
543 Posts
One little trick that I do on my BT safeties is I remove metal from the top of the back of the trigger bow before I fit the Grip safety to the trigger bow. Most trigger bows allow for this with zero problems. The reason I do this is because I often like the bare minimum engagement between the grip safety and the trigger so disengagement doesn’t become a problem. the problem is once in a while an inexperience person may handle the gun and cause damage to the small engagement. If damage were to ever happen changing the trigger would be much easer and cheaper than a new grip safety. Setting the engagement very light has prevented any problems with not deactivating grip safeties for me............

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I use a high grip, and I've had occasional problems with the beavertail grip safety on my SA Loaded, but never with the standard grip safety on my SA Milspec. I recently put an arched MSH on my Loaded (replacing the stock, flat MSH), and so far I've had no problems with the Loaded's grip safety. It may be too early to tell, but I think the arched MSH tilts the gun up enough to get better detention by forcing more of my hand into the grip safety.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saab1911 said:

thanks again Irishlad

Jae
SAAB1911....
no one flamed you, and no one said your pistol was a POS.

SO,whats the deal with breaking peoples balls for giving you their thoughts? thats why we're here! its a forum....;)
i appreciate "every reply" i get when i post a question on this site. someone took their time to read and then respond to what i had to say!!!i even enjoy when somebody cracks a joke or pokes a little fun at me! lighten up little buddy....there's a good crowd that hangs out in here:p

·
Registered
935 Posts
Saab, I think you had it right. Nobody explicitly flamed you, but a couple of the comments were a little condescending. They may not have been intended that way, but that's certainly how they came across to me. In your position, I would have found them a lot more annoying than helpful.

You didn't mention whether the beavertail in question was a factory feature on your pistol(s) or an add-on. That might make a difference, if the frame wasn't radiused properly to accomodate the add-on safety.

The big question for me is what happens if you use a thumb to depress the grip safety down low. If the trigger can be pulled, the grip safety itself is working more or less correctly, and the problem lies in how your hand is engaging the safety.

In the old days, quite a few grip safeties got pinned in the off position to prevent just the problem you're having. These days, beavertail safeties typically have a "bump" at the bottom to make sure it's engaged correctly. I wonder if yours have a gib enough bump?

And for what it's worth, it's my understanding that JMB thought the grip safety on the 1911 was a mistake. You'll notice there isn't one on the P-35.

But be careful uttering such heresy here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts