1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I finally found a stainless Delta at the right price (no, not $400.00 either LOL) and put in on layway yesterday. It is completely original and like brand new with 2 Colt mags. My question is, what is the hottest load for the 10mm and how does it compare to the 10mm express? Does anyone else shoot 40's in their Delta? A friend of mine has a stainless Delta and it eats 40's very well. Thank you for your responses in advance :)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Luopo said:
is it safe to shoot 40S&W in a 10mm?
Colt shipped some Delta's years ago with a 10mm and a .40 S&W barrel.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Not really. The three cartridges--.45 ACP, 10mm, and .40 all headspace on the case mouth, meaning that the .40 would drop into the chamber way past the case rim.

I believe that for a reasonable price, you can order a drop-in .40 barrel. Check out Brownell's and Oly Arms.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not really into 40S&W anymore, it's just that I have an old box of 40S&W Black Talon ammo and wondered if I could shoot it off in my Delta. I guess I could pull the bullets and reload them in 10mm cases...

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my friend shoots his through his 10mm barrel all the time:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try a S&W 610

If you want immediate interchangability between 40S&W and 10mm, find a S&W 610 to add to your 10mm collection.

Congrats on the Delta. They are nice pistols. I have found Deltas to be plenty accurate, sometimes inspite of the looseness of the slide. Seems like 10mm overall is inherently accurate.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have been thinking about making a Colt 10mm my next conquest but I have heard from my local dealer, who sells me all my Colts, that the 10mm Colts can't stand up to the 10mm pounding. What is the life of a 10mm Colt and why are only a few manufacturers making them?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wonder how many 10mm pistols he has shot out ( worn out) or is this just another case of anecdotal evidence? In other words, just something he heard and repeats as gospel?

My 10mm is holding up just fine. I like to shoot full power loads and have maybe 500 now. There is a pro shooter and gunsmith that posts in the 10 Ring ( I think) that states he has 10,000 plus rounds thru his DE and no wearing out yet.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Delta frame cracks

Simply have your gunsmith cut out the offending "bridge" of metal over the frame's slide stop hole. If you are still concerned, have a competent gunsmith inspect the pistol's overall condition. Then go out and have a blast!

Scott

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you shoot a .40 in a 10mm 1911, it will probably go bang, and probably won't blow up, but it's not a good idea.

Since the 40 S&W case is the same as the 10mm, except shorter, it can't reach the chamber mouth to headspace correctly. This means the extractor is the only thing holding the cartridge against the breech face, against the blow of the firing pin. If the extractor has a lot of slop, the case may simply move forward when hit by the firing pin, and not fire - or worse, hangfire.

The cartridge won't have optimum alignment in the chamber, and the bullet will be jumping longer to the rifling. Accuracy isn't likely to be good, and it is abusing the gun, to a certain extent.

Anyway, congrats on the Delta! I like mine, wish I could score another one here in the PRK.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, I just scored a bunch of 10mm at the gun show from a guy that no longer needed it at a great priced. I think I will avoid the 40's unless I buy the mags and proper barrel for it :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
UdontnoMe, congrats on a great pistol.

I found a stainless Delta Elite in pristine condition at a local gunshop this past spring for a reasonable price and somehow felt I needed to act non-chalant while I completed the purchase transaction quickly.

They are still around but have come into the category of a-little-less-available-now-than-in-the-recent-past making them fun to find and own.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have to take another picture of this later, but here it is :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts