1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SigForum guys, I got the scoop, and have permission from King Sigarms to tell everyone! Today at the National Association of Sporting Goods Wholesaler's 30th Annual Hunting Show in Phoenix I fondled and drooled all over the new GSR's. I think the 1911 world is about to be rocked like when Kimber burst on the scene. The pistol is truly a beauty, even though I'm not a light-rail fan. I promised not to spill too many beans, but very little is proprietary. It's a carefully selected combination of parts hand-fit to extremely careful tolerances. No assembly-line monkeys dropping in parts. The slide has a subtle "Siggy" look with nicely done lines, but definately remains 1911. The feel is high-end semi-custom, sitting in the hand very much like a Wilson CQB. Although I'm a stainless man, the black version is amazing. They haven't named the finish, but it feels smooth like a polymer, yet hard like NP3. Definately not the typical paint & bake stuff. The plunger tube is just what we've been screaming for. Recessed, yet standard height. Nothing loose on this piece! I'll check with them tomorrow to see just how much detail I can go into. The only thing I hated were the cheapie light-colored wood stocks on the stainless version. The black pistol is outfitted with tactical gritty black panels. Once I installed a set of Olive Gray AlumaGrips on the stainless, the Sig guys were sold. The AG's fit perfectly, and really look striking. Back tomorrow with an update, and I'll be able to give credit to the folks that deserve it. Many of you will know the shooter/gunsmith that headed up the project, but I want to make sure it's OK with him to put his name out.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
AZ Husker said:
. I think the 1911 world is about to be rocked like when Kimber burst on the scene. B]
This sounds really good. Kimber could definitely use some serious competition to motivate them to get their QC and Customer Service back up to snuff.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Price for this collection of parts?

Hmmmmm?

If they are gonna rock the 1911 world, it had better be good as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm curious about the frame and other bits. Any idea what (if anything) is cast, or MIM, or forged? Makes a difference to me...

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They wouldn't quote a suggested retail today, but I'll work on them. I was told we would be happy, and the price would surprise most folks.

·
Registered
21,768 Posts
Emoto said:
I'm curious about the frame and other bits. Any idea what (if anything) is cast, or MIM, or forged? Makes a difference to me...
From their official leak on Sigform, there is NO MIM.
Castings, well...

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not one piece of MIM. You'll be happy with the castings!

·
Registered
504 Posts
AZH, from the SIG description in the other thread, it would appear to have a Swartz type "firing pin safety;" knowing your disdain of the Kimber II version, I'm a little surprised at your enthusiasm. Is this one different/better or am I misreading the spec? :confused:

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Series 80. I'm not happy, but they made it clear why they did it. Maryland and California. Their guys aren't happy either. One (I promised not to use his name) said he felt "cheap"! :D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
No new Sigs in MD unless they have integrated lock, so I'm guessing at this point no Sig Granite. I like the looks of Sigs and like the looks of 1911s, but I'm not sure about the looks of both together. Sometimes things look better in person than they do in pics, so I'll wait and see if I can ever actually handle one.

For the record, I'm not anti-Sig. I carry one on my hip (2340) every day and proudly own a 226 and 229.

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DW...The guys today told me they're made for MD and CA. I didn't see any locking mechanism, but maybe they've got it covered.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ah, good. The prices on Sigs (since they don't ship here anymore) are sky rocketing here in MD thanks to the stupid integrated lock law. However, I'm happy that I was able to get my 226 and 229 before it was too late.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tracy....when are you going to get a digital camera??????
how do you expect to ever graduate to a legitimate security leak without one?:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At this show you can carry a .50 cal sniper rifle in & out, but they'll spot a camera a mile away! I'll try to get Matt to sneak behind the curtain with one. I'd love him to autograph a photo of us together with the two pistols!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Series 80 Euro-trash! :D

Well, it might deserve a look.

Heck, I "looked" at Dan Wessons....... although I'm still getting over the cheap feeling that left me with! :biglaugh:

IF the price is signifcantly higher than a new rollmarked Colt, however, I'll pass. I can get a series 80 from them anytime. Plus it has the cutest little prancing pony on it. :p

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dwolf00 said:
No new Sigs in MD unless they have integrated lock, so I'm guessing at this point no Sig Granite. I like the looks of Sigs and like the looks of 1911s, but I'm not sure about the looks of both together. Sometimes things look better in person than they do in pics, so I'll wait and see if I can ever actually handle one.
SA makes an MSH with an ILS. Would that meet the MD requirements? I suspect, if it would lead to sales in MD, that SIG might just buy a slew and install them for sale there.

D.
couldn't think of any more acronyms to stick in there

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Some of the local stores are adding the ILS to Les Baers and Wilsons so they can be sold in MD. However, a gun has to be approved by the handgun roster board before it can be sold in MD.

·
Banned
597 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Back tomorrow with an update, and I'll be able to give credit to the folks that deserve it. Many of you will know the shooter/gunsmith that headed up the project, but I want to make sure it's OK with him to put his name out.
it's in the press release somewhere

Development of the new SIGARMS GSR began in April under the expert guidance of a team of top engineers and renowned gunsmith and World Champion IPSC shooter [red]Matt McLearn[/red].

www.sigarms.com/news/index.asp?display=detail&id=55

I've never heard of him, but that don't mean squat 'cause I don't really follow the games.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts