1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so proud of my son! He asked me to take him to the local dealer and pick out a 1911. He has been aware of my collection for sometime, and since he turned 21, he wanted me to assist him on his choice. I picked up the Colt 1991A1 NRM, and placed it in his hands and said this should be his first 1911. He promptly payed for it, then we went to pick up his gun safe to store it in. Once at home it was an evening of instruction on clearing, disassembly, cleaning, and safety checks. What a night!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
He was 21 years old and didnt know how to clean, clear, dissassemble and use a pistol safely? Ive been shooting pistols rifles and shot guns for as long as I can remember. Seems like he is starting off kind of late.:confused:

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
ColtM4A3 said:
He was 21 years old and didnt know how to clean, clear, dissassemble and use a pistol safely? Ive been shooting pistols rifles and shot guns for as long as I can remember. Seems like he is starting off kind of late.:confused:
Colt, Rick never said his son didn't know how to use a pistol. And there are people on this very forum, who - believe it or not - have never disassembled a 1911. I don't see anything wrong with Rick showing his son how a pistol functions and disassembles- especially if he is unfamiliar with a 1911 in specific.

I think there should be nothing but praise for both of them.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's OK.

I've always spent time instructing my son on firearms. Before he was 21 I bought him rifles, shotguns, then introduced him to black powder revolvers by getting him one for his Christmas present in his eighteenth year. He's has been exposed to firearms since I was a career soldier for 26years.

I just was proud he asked me for my advice, and sat patiently with me as I went into my instructional mode. He works so much and goes to College full-time so anytime I get to do "man stuff" with him, is appreciated and loved by me. It was sooo much fun!!!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
SFC Rick,

Nice job helping your son pick out his first Colt 1911.

I'm in a similar situation, more of a reverse situation as I'm trying to get my dad into pistol shooting. Maybe someday I can teach him how to disassemble a firearm :D

ColtM4A3 said:
I guess I'm a late starter also, I started also @ 21. Starting late or early, it doesn't really matter since you still have your whole life ahead of you to enjoy the hobby :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
SFC Rick,
You did great. My son won't have anything to do with firearms and I feel like I really failed him. I've tried, but no go. Congrats on the effort and having a good relationship with your son.
Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts