1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Smith and Wesson Mode 15-3 Combat Masterpiece at an unbelievable low price! It's .38 special, of course, with a 2" barrel. The person who had it previously ( an area police officer I was told) must have had small, fat hands because the gun has one of those curved thingys on the inside of the grips and the the trigger has a piece that makes the pad wider. I'll have to do something about that grip thing (what in the world are those called?!), but all in good time. It's got a sweet SA trigger pull. I must say it is the smoothest, lightest, crispest, and best trigger I've ever had the pleasure to use. I'll try the DA when I go to shoot in on tuesday, but imagine it will be similarly satisfying.

Anybody else have one of these? What do you think of them? Is it okay to use +P or stick to standard stuff?
Chevy

·
Registered
65 Posts
The wife has one in 4" that is a former police gun. The action has been worked over by the department armourer and is really sweet. These were issued by the Air Force during the Viet Nam era and before, so the M15 has served our country. We also have the stainless version, the Model 67, but the little woman keeps the M15 for her house gun. I think the 38 +P is a great choice in an urban environment.

·
Administrator
13,292 Posts
Great find . The M15's are a solid choice . You can't go wrong with a K frame Smith :cool:
You might try shooting it with the grip adapter first ? See how she handles .
Any pics to share ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great buy, I would get rid of the trigger shoe. If it's wider than the trigger guard. It can catch on the lip of your holster. And cause your revolver to fire when holstering the gun. The Tyler T grip is used to create a fuller grip.
Without comprimising the revolver's concealability.

·
Banned
922 Posts
You just bought one of the great snub nose revolvers of all time. Still very popular in NYC where many of the old timers still prefer a .38 wheelgun for plainclothes and off duty work.

The Model 15 in a four inch barrel is my favorite revolver of all. I've owned five or six of them and people keep trading me out of them and every time I end up kicking myself and hunting for another.

The Models 15, 16 and 18 all have the same weight and balance so a competitive shooter could shoot rimfire with is Model 18 and centerfire with either the Model 16 (.32 cal) or the Model 15 (.38 cal.). The Model 15s and 18s are pretty easy to find used in good condition. The Model 16s are pretty rare and when you do find one they are expensive!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I'm anxious now. I'll be leaving in an hour to take her out to test function. i'm excited. Got some UMC 158gr leads I'll shoot. THey're fairly light too, at only ~700 FPS. I'm expecting the gun to be fairly comfortable to shoot, expecially with the .38 lites. I doubt there'll be much recoil because the gun's still rather heavy for its size, could be wrong though.

I'm still a little weary about shooting +P's in it, so I'll hold off. I mean its pretty old and not rated for them.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Chevy

·
Administrator
13,292 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to shoot some occasional +P's in a 1970's K frame .

Have fun :rock:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took her out tuesday, and all went quite smoothly. Trigger was excellent, both DA and SA. Recoil was virtually non existant because of its heft. And I must say I am suprised at the accuracy of the little snubbie. I won't claim to be a perfect shot like a lot of people, but this gun is very accurate. I'm very pleased with my M15.
Chevy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts