1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a mil-spec WW2 model...$376.00 plus $25.00 for shipping, my FFL guy is going to charge me $15.00 transfer fee.
Hot damn $416.00 total, cant believe I found such a great deal. It was on GunBrokers and I emailed the guy and asked if he would stop the auction if I bought it at his listed price and he said yes.......YAHOOOOOOOOO. My local dealers wanted over $559 plus taxs and my own FFL guy said $503 out the door. I think its the best deal Ive gotten in quite awhile :D :D :D :D :D :D :biglaugh:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let us know how you like it. From the forum there seems to be lots of different looking guns out there. Is yours a rounded front strap and do you have the loaded chamber indicator? Enjoy!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought one myself a few weeks ago for $385. Nice gun. Mine has the smaller rounded grip and no chamber indicator. Enjoy yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought mine a few days ago. It has a rounded front strap and no bullet indicator. Does anyone have a pic of the non rounded front strap???WarDawg

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,526 Posts
The pics above are of a square front strap model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From reading the posts here it looks like there are at least two versions of the milspec WWII 1911A1 floating around. 1)One has the blocky frame, loaded-chamber indicator, and black grip panels 2) The other has the rounded frame, no loaded chamber indicator, and brown grip panels.

Anyone have a WWII milspec that is equipped otherwise ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
deacon said:
From reading the posts here it looks like there are at least two versions of the milspec WWII 1911A1 floating around. 1)One has the blocky frame, loaded-chamber indicator, and black grip panels 2) The other has the rounded frame, no loaded chamber indicator, and brown grip panels.

Anyone have a WWII milspec that is equipped otherwise ?
You are correct, I think. Springfield intended to ship all WWII models with the brown grips, unfortuantely their supplier fell through and couldn't deliver on time. The first batch of WWII's shipped with black grips. I'm not sure if the grip changeover was at the same time as the frame changeover, but they may have been close. Either way, if your gun shipped with black grips, Springfield will ship you a free set of the intended brown grips. So I have a blocky/chamber with brown grips (until I discovered Alumagrips).

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
To further complicate the issue, Springfield also sells a "Mil-Spec" (non-WWII) model for considerably more money. This really confuses shopping for many folks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes while at the recent Atlanta gunshow I saw both SA WWII pistols . Black grips and brown grips.At the time I didn't know about the slight differance in the pistols. I saw acouple REAL USGI .45 1911's there with brown grips so thats what I picked. The brown grips are starting to grow on me. :D WarDawg

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got a new set of Hogue rubber panel grips I'll put on it, some where down the road after I break it in I might change the hammer and trigger. I have a stainless Colt XSE thats so nice I hate to carry it so Im trading it off for a Rock River Arms AR15 limited edition from "AR15.com" forums board, there was only 1,000 made for a special order by them. Its had 100 rounds thru it so Im happy. Ive owned and always liked Springfield .45s before, shouldnt be any difference this time around. Ive also got a Springfield XD in 357sig which is my daily carry gun, I love it. The new .45 might give it a break as a carry gun tho :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the black grips on the newer rounded frame. Bought it about two weeks ago. Didn't know you could get the brown grips free. What do you need to do, just E-mail springfield? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
DNS said:
I have the black grips on the newer rounded frame. Bought it about two weeks ago. Didn't know you could get the brown grips free. What do you need to do, just E-mail springfield? Thanks
You could probably email them, but I called their toll-free number off the "Loaded" coupon. Just tell them you bought a WWII Mil-Spec with black grips and you would like the brown ones shipped to you. (They will need your serial number, so have it handy)

If you are planning on using your coupon, call it in and order the grips at the same time. The saleswoman on the phone told me that doing so would save both Springfield and myself some of the shipping cost.

It took about 3 weeks from the time I called to when I recieved the grips.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mine's black grips, no indicator.

Pretty cool.

I like the serial number too "WW34XXXX"

·
Registered
210 Posts
Shooter...

LOL..I just posted in another thread that currently, I'm too damn lazy to go downstairs and open the safe to inspect my little bundle of joy...but when I do (I like to visit the safe daily)I'll get back to ya!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the information on the grips. Mine has the black grips, just checked, no chamber indicator. Forgot to check serial no. As in the above post, to lazy to do it again, tonight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Jeeps said:
Mine's black grips, no indicator.

Pretty cool.

I like the serial number too "WW34XXXX"

I was wrong....my serial is WW12XXXXX - and it appears I have a rounded frontstrap - and no indicator.

*edited because that damn master degree I have in Computers isn't doing me a lick of good in the spelling department.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts