1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a stainless wide spur hammer for my custom Springer GI. I found a John Masen Hammer at brownells and ordered it along with a Masen arched checkered MSH. I then read a bunch of bad posts concerning Masen products. I hope I can make them work. I have jewlers files and am pretty good at metalworking. Any advice? Do you think I can make them work and look good with some work? I hope the hammer dosen't snap in half while shooting. I can't realy afford the time, money, and effort to send them back and get others.
I would like to here some positives. Thanks and God Bless

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have never used John Masen parts so I can’t comment on their quality. However, if the parts are junk then you will spend more time, money, and effort trying to make them work then you will sending them back.

You will also say to your self that you wish you had used better parts.

·
Premium Member
11,596 Posts
5pins said:
...you will spend more time, money, and effort trying to make them work then you will sending them back.
You will also say to your self that you wish you had used better parts.
Ditto! Send 'em back and get the good stuff. If a hole is in the wrong place, no amount of skill with a file is going to be able to fix that and that is more often the case with the Masen MSHs that I've seen. The hammers don't hold up well in my experience either. I can't count the number of times I've seen guys having problems with that junk. It really ruins an otherwise great day at the range. :mad:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The time will be the same to retuen them later or replace them when they go to s**t or fail. At this point you can return them and get your money back and buy the good stuff. As the saying goes, "Pay me now or pay me later..."

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've used Masen parts on two occasions, a MSH and a hammer, the only thing i didn't like was the very ruff finnish, if you are willing to do some polishing they should be o.k., the pistol i used them on was sold soon after i finnished it so i can't say how durable they are but for me i would never buy their parts again because of the ruff finnish.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've used a ss checkered mainspring housing from them. The checkering is rough and casted in. It functions fine, but did need to have the inside polished and the checkering touched up with a file. In hindsight, I would have been better off buying the S&A, it was only $10 more. Stick the parts in a padded envelope and mail them back to Brownells. They are great about returns and will give you a full refund. Just enclose a copy of the invoice and circle the items you're returning. You'll just be out a couple bucks and its not a big hassle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
~~~~~~~~
I actually had one of Brownell's Techs tell me I should stay away from Masen's stuff .... that was enough for me. These guys are "straight shooters".

~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bluetooth said:
Why does Brownells sell the stuff, price?
My guess is; .... as with most US companies, the "bean counters" and the exec's upstairs, are the ones making all the decisions. If the profit margins seem high enough (on paper) .... they apparently think it's worth it to sell junk, even if half of it is returned (???)
However the "peons" out in the shop .... the people that have the hands-on experience and the 'real' knowledge of the product(s), - as is usually the case; probably have little to say in how the business is run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ditto on the John Masen parts. I bought some floorplates and followers for the M14 mags and they were pretty much junk. I still have them but they'll need to be filed and fitted for them to work. Simp

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the blued wide spur hammer a while back. The hammer hooks were terribly mis-shapen (picture a full capture half cock notch but at the hammer hooks). I had to take so much material off to get them strait they were ruined. Too bad because they are the only manufacturer I can find) that makes one of the WWII style stuby wide spurs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am a little surprised as well that Brownells sells Masen stuff. I bought an add on magwell and some grip screw bushings at a gun show and have no complaints but I don't know that I would buy anything else of theirs, especially trigger components.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1911Fishbulb said:
I bought the blued wide spur hammer a while back. The hammer hooks were terribly mis-shapen (picture a full capture half cock notch but at the hammer hooks). I had to take so much material off to get them strait they were ruined. Too bad because they are the only manufacturer I can find) that makes one of the WWII style stuby wide spurs.
Check out King's Gun Work's, they have an original style checkered wide spur hammer. Looks like the original, and I'm sure being King's it's a quality part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts