1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... but I thought I would ask anyway.

Suppose you could not own a true 1911. Suppose your auto .45 choices were limited to DA-type guns.

1. Which make/model would you choose if reliability were your only criterion?

2. Which make/model would you choose if accuracy were your only criterion?

3. Which make/model would you choose if concealability were your only criterion?

4. Which make/model would you choose if trigger action (weight, smoothness, etc.) were your only criterion?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
2,895 Posts
Sig 220 - all situations.

Edit: I might even try the Para Ord LDA or whatever that new DA design is called if it were an option.

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
210 Posts
jpwright,

Being that I just purchased my first 1911-style pistol (Kimber Pro CDP), this question seems like an easy one for me. My single choice would satisfy all your requirements except for #3:

My Sig Sauer P220. Here's my reasoning:

1. It's chambered in .45ACP. Whoopee!
  2. In the 7 yrs. & 4000 or so rounds I've put through it, it's never ever had an FTF or an FTE. No malfunctions of any kind.
  3. For a 4 1/4" bbl, it's a tackdriver, accurate out to 25 yds. with no issues. I like the "dot-the-i" sights too.
  4. The single-action trigger pull is very very good (smooth, clean break) for a DA Self-loader, and the DA pull, although fairly typical, isn't too bad. All in all, not a bad compromise.
    [/list=a]

As far as satisfying #3, concealability, the unfortunate trait of the P220 is that it's about the size & weight of your average brick. I can't imagine wearing it without it printing all over the place. And I'm a big guy at 6'4" & 235. Hence my purchase of a Commander-sized 1911.

If I had to choose based on concealability, I really like the the HK P7's, for all 4 requirements....it's just that I'm so dang familiar & comfortable with my Sig.

Cheers,

/TCP

------------------
    Measure Twice....Cut Once

·
Registered
783 Posts
IMO, SIG Sauer P-220 is the best .45 made. I have a Para-Ordnance LDA, which I like for its high capacity, but the SIG has a better SA trigger pull. The SIG is also a lot easier to field strip.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey SC Shooter, I like that P245 too. It's a great ccw piece, if only it were a touch thinner. Overall, I think I'd go with a P7 (accurate, reliable, slim, nice single action trigger), but if it needed to be .45 (which I LIKE), then a P245 or Glock 30 in that order.

Bob

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Of course the Sig220.

I have a rather unpopular opinion about this issue. I own a 1911 because it can be made to be the most accurate .45 pistol by a large margin. But that's by far its best attribute in my opinion.

I LOVE 1911s, but for everything besides accuracy (think reliability, capacity, simplicity), the SIG or even a Glock 21 is the way to go. I'll never own a 220 or a G21, because that's not why I have pistols.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Well it seems the 220 is favored over my choice of the Glock30.I have a 220 and the G30 and I do not see the big advantage in the Sig.
1. reliability- the Glock and Sig are both totally reliable
2.Accuracy- both of my guns consistently hit the center of an IDPA target at 20yds.(aimed shots)
3.Concealability- the Glock is smaller,lighter and easier to hide
4.Trigger-I do not see how any one could prefer the 12lb pull on the 220 to the 4.25lb trigger on my Glock

Both are good guns but I still choose the Glock for an overall replacement for my 1911.There wouldn't be any Glock haters out there would there?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't hate Glocks, but I don't get the mystique. I think the G20 and G34 would be interesting.

That 12-lb pull on the Sig becomes a buttery single-action pull when the hammer's cocked. That's what has me sold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OKC,

If $ were no object, I might pick the HK P7. It sure is nice looking. I haven't fired one of those, though.

I would pick the Sig 245 over the Glock compact . Both are good guns. I just prefer the Sig.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glock 30 for all except maybe concealibility. For that one I would probably go with the 27 (although the 30 is pretty easy to hide, the 27 is easier to hide).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock, Glock

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
558 Posts
1. My S&W 4506. I know it eats anything.

2. Same as above. I'm comfortable with it.

3. Glock 27. As much as I don't like polymer guns that have no character, I just can't say no to it for concealibility.

4. H&K P7 or USP.

[This message has been edited by Paveway (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Administrator
72,064 Posts
I'd use a 1911 anyway. I'd explain to them that flipping off the thumb safety and pulling the trigger qualifies as "double action".

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
783 Posts
Originally posted by eljay45:
Well it seems the 220 is favored over my choice of the Glock30.I have a 220 and the G30 and I do not see the big advantage in the Sig.
1. reliability- the Glock and Sig are both totally reliable
2.Accuracy- both of my guns consistently hit the center of an IDPA target at 20yds.(aimed shots)
3.Concealability- the Glock is smaller,lighter and easier to hide
Aren't you comparing apples and oranges here? The Glock 30 is a midget gun. The P-220 is a larger gun. So, the Glock 30 will conceal better.

4.Trigger-I do not see how any one could prefer the 12lb pull on the 220 to the 4.25lb trigger on my Glock
Are you saying the single action trigger pull on my SIG is 12 pounds? I have a hard time believing that. I'd put it right around 5 pounds guessing.

Both are good guns but I still choose the Glock for an overall replacement for my 1911.There wouldn't be any Glock haters out there would there?
The Glock 30 is too small for a replacement sidearm. Good for concealability. Glocks in general have too much of a polymer feel for me to like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts