1911Forum banner

I know how you hate to think about guns ...

1362 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  python1340
... but I thought I would ask anyway.

Suppose you could not own a true 1911. Suppose your auto .45 choices were limited to DA-type guns.

1. Which make/model would you choose if reliability were your only criterion?

2. Which make/model would you choose if accuracy were your only criterion?

3. Which make/model would you choose if concealability were your only criterion?

4. Which make/model would you choose if trigger action (weight, smoothness, etc.) were your only criterion?

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
jpwright,

Being that I just purchased my first 1911-style pistol (Kimber Pro CDP), this question seems like an easy one for me. My single choice would satisfy all your requirements except for #3:

My Sig Sauer P220. Here's my reasoning:

1. It's chambered in .45ACP. Whoopee!
  2. In the 7 yrs. & 4000 or so rounds I've put through it, it's never ever had an FTF or an FTE. No malfunctions of any kind.
  3. For a 4 1/4" bbl, it's a tackdriver, accurate out to 25 yds. with no issues. I like the "dot-the-i" sights too.
  4. The single-action trigger pull is very very good (smooth, clean break) for a DA Self-loader, and the DA pull, although fairly typical, isn't too bad. All in all, not a bad compromise.
    [/list=a]

As far as satisfying #3, concealability, the unfortunate trait of the P220 is that it's about the size & weight of your average brick. I can't imagine wearing it without it printing all over the place. And I'm a big guy at 6'4" & 235. Hence my purchase of a Commander-sized 1911.

If I had to choose based on concealability, I really like the the HK P7's, for all 4 requirements....it's just that I'm so dang familiar & comfortable with my Sig.

Cheers,

/TCP

------------------
    Measure Twice....Cut Once

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.