1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Kimber Custom Classic target, a Series 1 gun. It's accurate enough and I like it and I shoot it well although the trigger could be improved.

Here is what is happening. There is a little resistance in the trigger pull and if you keep applying pressure you will hear a slight click. this click is especially noticeable with an unloaded gun placed close to my ear.

After the click more pressure breaks the trigger nicely. The click is like a hitch in the trigger pull and is annoying. It almost sounds like a spring leg riding over something.

So what am I hearing and how do i correct it? Any ideas?

On another note, rather than spend a bunch of money getting a good trigger job on the stock parts I was toying with the idea of purchasing a Cylinder & Slide drop in trigger kit. The Ultra Match variety since I shoot mainly informal Bullseye with this gun.

Any input would be, as always, appreciated.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Most likely the disco is either dragging in the slide relief or it is dragging on the sear pin and catching as it is pushed back. Another option is simply the sear and hammer hooks are not smooth.

LOG

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Log, same noise with slide off.

What do you think of C&S kit?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to worry. But my finger is taking a beating:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
The disco will still be dragging on the sear pin, slide or not also the sear spring could be catching on the frame. It's your gun why's it doing that??!!:biglaugh:

LOG

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Log I guess a detail strip is in order but how will I know why it's doing it if I don't know exactly what to look for?

I'm looking in the magazine well and I don't see any sudden movements when the click happens.

If I drop the mainsping housing and look at the sear spring will there be a witness mark of any kind?

Right now I'm thinking of replacing the whole fire control system but this is puzzling and I'd like to know why this is happening. Right now I'm driving down a dark street with my head lights off.

Jer

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Remove just the grip safety to begin with and watch, don't jump to conclusions wait until you really get it. If/when you see what the problem is only change the one thing so you will really know.:) Could be the sear spring on the back of the disco, etc.

LOG

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Log. I will attack it tomorrow. Long day, long week, can't concentrate at the moment.

Cheers,

Jer

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Mr. log has some good advice there.

Regarding the Cylinder & Slide Drop In Trigger Job kit, I just put in a Tactical 2 kit on a older Kimber Compact. It's been working great.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Follow Log's walkthru on this,it'very unlikely changing the hammer and sear will do anything but minimize the hitch and you still have to prove the new mating surfaces if they happen to be off spec..Don't know Kimber so don't know thier passive(?) safety but I'd check the Dis first as he said and the slide off can aggrevate the problem.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope because it doesn't have a Schwartz safety. It's a Kimber series 1 gun which has a conventional safety.

Haven't taken it apart yet since it's a busy shooting weekend. Will do so on Monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts