1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love it when a plan comes together...Heritage saves the day

Several months ago, I found a deal on a LNIB Nighthawk .22 conversion. While I thought it might make sense to utilize it on my Guardian, I really wanted a dedicated pistol, as I carry the Guardian too often to mess with.

I went through several different scenarios in my mind, including building and completing a frame, having one built from a custom shop, and buying a complete pistol that I could use for the conversion. I really couldn't decide the "best" course of action.

As I already had a few 1911's in 45 ACP, I thought it'd be great to get a full size 9mm or 10mm. The problem was that I didn't want anything that wasn't as nice as my DW's.

Also, I did a bit of reading on this site, leading me to believe there might be some compatibility issues with anything other than a pistol chambered in .45.

After ruling out Colt, Springfield, Ruger, Sig and even after I considered a Kimber, I was pretty frustrated. I just didn't want to own a "lesser" pistol than my DW's or my pride and joy EB SF II (def don't want to put a conversion kit on it)
Heck, I even considered the full Nighthawk .22 pistol, but just couldn't stand the thought of a $2300 .22lr pistol.

Back to the drawing board. But...today, that all changed. I was at my local shooting range / gun shop, when I saw a DW Heritage in .45 ACP in the display case. I had to have a look. It was in great condition, a LNIB 2010 model. Slide to frame fit being crazy tight. Just a touch of side play in the grip safety.

Price was $990. While I don't often like to talk money specifics, I expressed my interest, and asked what they could do ($) to ensure I walked out the door with it. The owner was contacted, and 20 minutes later I had purchased my new-to-me Heritage for $880 OTD.

For just a few more dollars over some of the aforementioned brands, I own another very fine firearm, and my .22 pistol problems have been solved. As for any other role for it, I think it's my answer to my search for a 460 Rowland conversion. Time will tell.

As is, I'm happy, and promise some pics soon. Of course a a short range report of both calibers will follow, as well.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Very good deal, IMO. Enjoy your new DW!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Price was $990. While I don't often like to talk money specifics, I expressed my interest, and asked what they could do ($) to ensure I walked out the door with it. The owner was contacted, and 20 minutes later I had purchased my new-to-me Heritage for $880 OTD....
Regards.
Sometimes the money specifics are lacking on here. While prices fluctuate by regions, stories like these help to get a baseline on what used pistols are selling for.
Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Quick update for future "search" efforts", lol!
The wife and I started the day out with the Nighthawk conversion. 200 rounds and not a single malfunction. I am very impressed with the unit, but I'll install a fiber optic front sight at the earliest opportunity. It was tough for us to pick up the sights, even on the colored self marking targets.
A forum search here has a thread indicating the Dawson sight for the Advantage Arms unit will fit the Nighthawk, so I'll look into that.

The Heritage was returned to its "normal" 45 caliber state, and we ran 100 rounds of FMJ 230 gr through it. No issues at all. Great shooting gun. I don't expect it to outshoot my EB, but it'll give it one hell of a run for the money! Trigger has just a tiny bit of creep, but very nice, really. (I mean a really tiny amount of creep!)
I might replace the rubber (stock) Houge grips, but it'd be purely for personal tastes. The wife actually really liked them.

I'm very pleased with the setup, and I highly recommend the pistol. I don't think here's anything out there in it's price range that'll give you more.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts