1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were at an auto repair place this morning.

Folks behind the counter had a shotgun leaning against the wall.

And nobody gave a damn, because it's perfectly normal here.

The guy at the counter ahead of us was open carrying a 1911.

I was carrying concealed my Sig P365.

And nobody gave a damn, because they didn't know.

And that's perfectly normal here too.

It's a huge contrast to having lived in the North, and I love it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PREACH!!!

Im in north Houston and every once in awhile you'll see some old country dude with a gun on his hip. No one gets flustered. Hell, ive started conversations with a couple
I've had many a nice conversation with folks around the area here. Struck up a conversation with a guy at one of the local diners, next thing I know we're outside and he's showing me a book of the local history.

The UPS driver has become a good friend and will stop in to BS even when he doesn't have a package for me. Our mail carrier will see us out and about and she'll meet up and give us our mail and whatever packages she may have for us, right then and there.

We're known by our first names at the gun shop, the supermarket, and both diners we use.

When our neighbor across the street passed away, we went to the funeral home and paid our respects. When my father in law recently passed away, they came to the funeral home to pay their respects. My next door neighbor is a Pastor, all of us, including his wife call him "Preacher" and he performed the services for both.

Going to the end of the driveway to get the mail may take an hour or so because you may end up talking to someone. There's a community here that doesn't exist up North. There, I'd say Hello to someone and they'd look at me like I'd sprouted horns.

The last neighborhood I lived in up North I lived in for 23 years. When I left, I only new the names of the neighbors on either side of us. I've been down here a year and a half so far, and I know everyone on our street.

We live on a private street so there's no police patrol and no streetlights. Yet we never have a problem with vandalism or theft. No problems with trespass. Up North it was a constant problem.

Here you can see the stars at night because it's a good country dark, and the air doesn't stink.

You could never pay me enough to go back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw a young man with his family at the
cream parlor....OCing an 1911.
I gave him the nod and he did likewise

Southern living, is living free

///
I have friends that I left behind. I describe how things are down here and their response is "I couldn't live there". Poor blind closed minds limiting themselves to their own self imposed Hells. I wish them luck, but they'll never know what it is to be free.

BTW when I first saw your profile picture I thought, "Hey that looks like Elmer Keith" Then I saw your user name. Very cool! Without Mr. Keith magnum revolvers may have never existed.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have friends that I left behind. I describe how things are down here and their response is "I couldn't live there". Poor blind closed minds limiting themselves to their own self imposed Hells. I wish them luck, but they'll never know what it is to be free.

BTW when I first saw your profile picture I thought, "Hey that looks like Elmer Keith" Then I saw your user name. Very cool! Without Mr. Keith magnum revolvers may have never existed.
They don't know what they're missing. I think so many of the problems we run into are because humans weren't meant to be clustered together on top of one another like rats in a sewer pipe. We're tribal creatures at our best when we have a small social community where everyone knows everyone, and at our worst when we're stacked shoulder to shoulder with strangers we don't know, don't want to get to know, and if we're being honest really just want to get away from.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They don't know what they're missing. I think so many of the problems we run into are because humans weren't meant to be clustered together on top of one another like rats in a sewer pipe. We're tribal creatures at our best when we have a small social community where everyone knows everyone, and at our worst when we're stacked shoulder to shoulder with strangers we don't know, don't want to get to know, and if we're being honest really just want to get away from.
I agree with you 100% and have frequently said the exact same thing for years. And they really don't know what they're missing.

They're my friends, but at the same time I'm perfectly fine with them staying where they are. Because if they came here, and stayed here, they'd try to change it to be like there, and they would ruin everything here.

I came here to get AWAY from that, I have absolutely NO desire to change it into what I left behind.

I was fortunate to have a Southern mother, and she raised me as a Southerner would, naturally. I think that gave me a predisposition to appreciate the way of life here. And for that I thank her.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Something else comes to mind… the past several years when "protesters" were blocking highways inconveniencing drivers at the least and beating them at the worst, I didn’t see that in the South where I live. First, I don’t think we have very many of the rioting type, and secondly I don’t think law enforcement down here would have allowed that crap.

·
Registered
870 Posts

You might want to do some research before you start putting labels on the North. Everything that you mentioned is lawful and common in NH where I live. Same goes for VT and ME.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I can't live in cities or bigger towns and I especially don't want to live up nawth. If you can't pee off your front porch you need to move. Southern born and Southern bred and when I did I'll be Southern dead.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to do some research before you start putting labels on the North. Everything that you mentioned is lawful and common in NH where I live. Same goes for VT and ME.
I mean no insult to your areas. When I say "the North" I mean NJ specifically. I just came to hate NJ so much that I don't even want to say or type the state's name. Hence, "the North"

It's pretty much the same as my ex-wife. I refuse to say her name, and to speak it is forbidden within my home.

Henceforth I shall refer to "The North, with the exceptions of New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine". :LOL:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't live in cities or bigger towns and I especially don't want to live up nawth. If you can't pee off your front porch you need to move. Southern born and Southern bred and when I did I'll be Southern dead.
I can pee off my back deck but the air conditioner's right there and with my luck it'll come one while I'm in progress, and we all know about the folly of peeing into the wind.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
...If you can't pee off your front porch you need to move...
Last time I did that the women in the neighborhood damn near rioted and the 911 switchboard was overwhelmed with calls asking if there was an escape from the zoo reptile area. :whistle:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stop advertising it...we already have too many of you people from the north moving here and ruining it.
Thanks for the warm welcome. Not to worry, I for one have absolutely no intention of changing anything about the South. And I'm fine with the rest of them staying back where they are, for the same reason you don't want them/me here.

Besides, I'm atypical. My mother was a Southerner. My father was English. The North with the exceptions of New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine was merely a location in which I became trapped against my will, and took decades of diligent effort on my part to escape.

Trust me, I bring NOTHING of that place with me to here.

·
Registered
67 Posts

At work not long ago - Had the girls out on a potty break and clearly heard a 30 round mag get dumped from an AK somewhere nearby. And then what sounded like a pistol returning fire for 15 or so rounds worth.

Never heard a single police siren for any of that crap because -

That crap is perfectly normal there. If you really want attention you better have multiple mags to dump.

:)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.