1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Moved to western ky in 2014, I enjoy being able to strike up a conversation with complete strangers and I’ve never had a better group of neighbors. No shooting out the the back door (not even rimfire). Hopefully that will change at some point
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
834 Posts
Something else comes to mind… the past several years when "protesters" were blocking highways inconveniencing drivers at the least and beating them at the worst, I didn’t see that in the South where I live. First, I don’t think we have very many of the rioting type, and secondly I don’t think law enforcement down here would have allowed that crap.
Tell me, which side of the Mason Dixon is Ferguson MO on?
Country living in the north is much different than urban life. There is still town life all over America. You simply need to know where to look.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I know a lot of folks around here that are pretty good Neighbors.

Like me, most of them do their best to Be The Neighbors They'd Want To Have.

Kinda like............

Reactions: 9mm Addict

·
Registered
834 Posts
I mean no insult to your areas. When I say "the North" I mean NJ specifically. I just came to hate NJ so much that I don't even want to say or type the state's name. Hence, "the North"

It's pretty much the same as my ex-wife. I refuse to say her name, and to speak it is forbidden within my home.

Henceforth I shall refer to "The North, with the exceptions of New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine". :LOL:
Ooohhh. Now I get it. You're from that area. Got news for you, nobody wants you either. The middle of the country doesnt want either coast moving in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most big city northerners wouldn't like it in Arkansas. It gets hot and humid in the summer, we get ice storms in the winter, and we have tornadoes in the spring. The biggest earthquake fault in North America, the New Madrid, has the potential to wipe out about 1/3rd of the state. The Arkansas River that flows west to east through the center of the state is prone to 100 year floods every two or three years. We have snakes, including pit vipers, and alligators, and snapping turtles that can take off a person's arm or leg in a single bite. We're in the middle of the Bible belt and most towns have more churches than gas stations, and 34 of the 75 counties are still dry and don't sell alcohol.

But worst of all, we have ticks and chiggers, and our chiggers are some of the meanest chiggers you ever saw. They could cripple a fella if'n he was to step off into the yard without a potent repellant, they'd eat the skin off your ankles like a mess of Amazon River piranhas.

Ain't no sense in Yankee folks coming down here, we're pretty sure you wouldn't like it.

Marine invertebrates Toy Organism Gesture Cephalopod

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm pretty sure that most big city northerners wouldn't like it in Arkansas. It gets hot and humid in the summer, we get ice storms in the winter, and we have tornadoes in the spring. The biggest earthquake fault in North America, the New Madrid, has the potential to wipe out about 1/3rd of the state. The Arkansas River that flows west to east through the center of the state is prone to 100 year floods every two or three years. We have snakes, including pit vipers, and alligators, and snapping turtles that can take off a person's arm or leg in a single bite. We're in the middle of the Bible belt and most towns have more churches than gas stations, and 34 of the 75 counties are still dry and don't sell alcohol.

But worst of all, we have ticks and chiggers, and our chiggers are some of the meanest chiggers you ever saw. They could cripple a fella if'n he was to step off into the yard without a potent repellant, they'd eat the skin off your ankles like a mess of Amazon River piranhas.

Ain't no sense in Yankee folks coming down here, we're pretty sure you wouldn't like it.

View attachment 646286
You forgot to mention hillary used to live there.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Would you rather have more of the people from much further south moving north?
Um, is that what is happening when Texas sends Illegals by bus to NYC?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ooohhh. Now I get it. You're from that area. Got news for you, nobody wants you either. The middle of the country doesnt want either coast moving in.
As I've said before, thanks for the warm welcome. I sincerely return your sentiment. It's good to see you're just as closed minded as those you derogate. I have news for you as well, nobody really gives a damn how you feel. Least of all me. Thank you for the stimulating conversation, and have a good night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in the South, too. In fact, I was born in one of the state capitals.
Although I spent a good bit of time up North, working.

I had a professor in college who was a US Army officer stationed in the Pentagon during the Vietnam War. A few years later in Starkville, he watched a man in overalls get out of his pickup at a red light, stretched, and got back in his truck. It's a little more laid back down here. And, it has a different way of people looking out for others, or not putting up with so-called nonsense.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
There's not as much racism down here either. At least not in the smaller towns and out in the country. Out here you can sit on the porch swing and everybody that drives by will wave at you whether they know you or not. Some of them even roll the window down to do it. Color don't make no nevermind.
And when we wave, it's all five fingers.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
There's not as much racism down here either. At least not in the smaller towns and out in the country. Out here you can sit on the porch swing and everybody that drives by will wave at you whether they know you or not. Some of them even roll the window down to do it. Color don't make no nevermind.
I spent a few months in Memphis Tennessee. I can't say I agree.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I live in the South. What you all saying here is very true of the area. However, it’s also true of places up North. It’s Rural areas, not the high congestion of large cities. Atlanta, Miami, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angelis are all technically in the South, but are not much different then NY, Boston, Philly or even Jersey City except for snow……

·
Registered
226 Posts
I spent a few months in Memphis Tennessee. I can't say I agree.
I live in a Memphis suburb. Memphis isn't typical.

My wife and I are both 80. Tuesday we were driving from Memphis to Augusta, Georgia and had a blowout near Jasper, Alabama. Guess what - no jack in the car and it was a mile and a half to a tire store. To anything, actually. So I started walking. Luckily the temperature was only 94° so no danger of a heatstroke. I had gone about a mile when a lady pulled over and asked if I needed help. Yup, I did. So she called her husband and another couple, and two cars showed up to help. They not only loaned me a jack, they changed the tire for me and refused to take any money for it. All were black. I'm white. Racism is what you make of it, and it mostly isn't a part of my life.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My wife and I were at an auto repair place this morning.

Folks behind the counter had a shotgun leaning against the wall.

And nobody gave a damn, because it's perfectly normal here.

The guy at the counter ahead of us was open carrying a 1911.

And nobody gave a damn, because it's perfectly normal here.

I was carrying concealed my Sig P365.

And nobody gave a damn, because they didn't know.

And that's perfectly normal here too.

It's a huge contrast to having lived in the North, and I love it.
Me too, especially now. I love to 🥵. 😂

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.