1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research, forum lurking, and obtaining and reading Stephen Camp’s most excellent book and disassembly guide (thanks Steve), I bought myself a Hi-Power in early December. I found a brand new, polished blue Browning, with fixed sights and a 2002 (MY) serial number for $599.00 at a gun shop not too far from my home. I have only put 400 rounds through it so far, mostly 115 gr. Winchester white box and some 124 gr. Gold Dot, and it functions perfectly. I got a set of Spegel grips from Don Williams, which not only look fantastic, but make the gun even more comfortable in my hand. I am contemplating getting the C&S “no-bite” hammer and sear, but will wait until I have put at least 1,000 rounds through it. I have been getting some bite from the hammer – not the spur, but the back of the hammer and frame. I will probably also remove the magazine disconnect while I’m at it. At some point I might also have a set of Novak sights installed, but for the time being, I am not at all dissatisfied with the original sights.

Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes! I purchased a Practical BHP for 720 out the door (tax,dros,shipping). Took it out today for a test run. It was fantastic! It reminded me of my SIG226. The trigger is a little gritty and a few pounds more then I like, but it was fun to shoot. After about 90 rounds, the rear sight came loose and started to drift out.
The take down is so nice. I like the idea of not having to deal with a bushing.
The slide has a little play, side to side, but didn't have any affect on accuracy.
Even with the imperfections, I'm glad about the purchase.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I'm tickled that we have two more Hi Power shooters in the "flock." The darned things are addictive, at least to me, and I find myself shooting them pretty often. Funny, when doing some work with other types of handguns, I actually started feeling guilty about not shooting the Hi Powers....

Best.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, I have you to thank for all I learned about the Hi-Power over the past few months, between your website and your books. I put another 100 rounds through mine this afternoon, and I must be learning how to hold it better, as it did not draw any blood at this time. Perhaps I can avoid the need to install the C&S hammer and sear for a while.

Take care,

Ron

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also have both of Steves books and bought my first Hi-Power today, a 9mm Mark III for $650. Kind of a high price but I wanted it right away. I would love to have a gunsmith like Ted Yost work on it but I don't want it to be gone for months. I might buy another one and shoot it while the first one is being customized.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mr. Camp's books are excellent. I was able to repair my silver chrome 1994 BHP using his guide. Saved myself a lot of money by not having to send it out. His guide is a must have accessory for the novice BHP owner.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Do you own any full-cap mags? Things get real fun when youve got the 17 rounders in the gun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have six 13-round mags. When I bought my BHP, the store had just one Mec-Gar, which I bought. I subsequently ordered five mags from GunThings.com (ask for Brad). They are represented to be FN contract mags. They look very much like the Mec-Gar, but without any witness holes. All work flawlessly.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts