1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few weeks back I picked up probably the BEST pistol I have ever owned. The HK P30.

Today my Kimber Eclipse Pro II came back from Kimber repaired, but after firing the HK so much since it was gone, I didn't enjoy it as much as I should.

So I bought the HK45 to go with the P30.

Dear God I love this pistol!! Fired it back to back with my Kimber and the HK is more accurate, and shoots more flatly. The difference in recoil is staggering (of course the Kimber is a Commander size) and I could not love this gun more if it were free.

Scary accurate, effortless to shoot, as comfy as any pistol could be in my hand at this size, and probably the most controllable .45 I have shot in controlled rapid fire sessions and double tap drills.

Unless it is a high end custom 1911, I won't ever go back.

Ok, here's some quick pics...................

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
I handled a P30 last weekend and did in fact like the feel of the grip. Unfortunately it still has the same trigger that's set too far forward and raked too much, just like the P2000 and USPc. I couldn't get a good purchase on the trigger, so alas it just didn't do it for me.

Good to see you found your perfect weapons system.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
NICE!!

What did the .45ACP version set you back?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The P30 was just under a grand from what I recall, and the 45 was $950.

I have always been a SA trigger kind of guy. 1911's, Hi-Powers, Glock's trigger, and the P7M8 were the only ones I would carry. I do not like a traditional DA/SA pull from 1st to second shot at all.

BUT

After playing with the P30 I fell in love. Easy to predict the trigger break, and smooth all the way through the arc. I was immediately impressed and broke my 15 year long "NO DA Trigger" rule.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I did just the opposite. I loved my USP .40, second to none, accurate, easy to handle etc;

Then I shot my Loaded 1911 and it blew the USP out of the water in every way:rock:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
golden saber said:
How much does that baby weigh? I'm curious about its CCW potential.
Not sure, haven't weighed either one. The P30 is about the same weight as my Glock 19, but somehow seems lighter. The 45 is only a little heavier in the hand.

fightfan said:
I am also curious about the HK and CCW. Do you carry it? How does the flared magazine pad conceal?
The 45 will not be a carry piece for me. I may from time to time (and when they make a holster for it), but the P30 I did buy for carry and it is perfect for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.
I held the hk45 at the local shop and it felt good. I wanted to buy it then but funds are low. Now I'm thinking if I should trade my p7m8 for it as it has been sitting in safe for 4 years. It only has 50 rounds thru it and I bought it new.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
golden saber said:
How much does that baby weigh? I'm curious about its CCW potential.
In HK's catalog the HK45 is listed at 1.73lb. without a magazine or 27.68ozs. I guess with the magazine the HK is in the ballpark of a Light Weight Commander in weight and size with the HK45 barrel listed at 4.53. Overall lenght was listed at 7.52" and with at 1.42". Height was listed at 5.83, but it didn't say if that was with the mag or without.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
BanditSRT8 said:
Well a few weeks back I picked up probably the BEST pistol I have ever owned. The HK P30.

Today my Kimber Eclipse Pro II came back from Kimber repaired, but after firing the HK so much since it was gone, I didn't enjoy it as much as I should.

So I bought the HK45 to go with the P30.

Dear God I love this pistol!! Fired it back to back with my Kimber and the HK is more accurate, and shoots more flatly. The difference in recoil is staggering (of course the Kimber is a Commander size) and I could not love this gun more if it were free.

Scary accurate, effortless to shoot, as comfy as any pistol could be in my hand at this size, and probably the most controllable .45 I have shot in controlled rapid fire sessions and double tap drills.

Unless it is a high end custom 1911, I won't ever go back.

Okay, I understand the new purchase enthusiasm, but before you make a mistake, hold back on these bold statements. The HK45 and P30 are certainly good weapons (I'm a HK fan myself) and besides the 1911 platform, they are the only polymer handguns I own -- an Elite in .45ACP and an USPc in .357 Sig...

A few days ago I picked up a S&W M&P45 and I believe this one has a good chance of staying in the safe beside the H&K's and several dozen 1911 pistols, plus a few other platforms thrown in (BHP, M9, etc.). A HK45 is on the way as well, so I'm open-minded to certain polymer frames...

One thing none of them have (over a good M1911A1 Gov't) is that all-steel feel, and none of them, IMO, sits in my hand as well, points as naturally, has a trigger as good, and can be put into action as quickly...

Shoot 'em, train with 'em, but don't push the 1911 pattern aside (quite yet), until you've given them a year or so...curb that enthusiasm, BanditSRT8.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same set. I also just got my 45 this past weekend @ the gunshow, can't shoot it for about 3 weeks due to a broken hand. It's great to hear the positive range report.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ColtM1911A1 said:
Okay, I understand the new purchase enthusiasm, but before you make a mistake, hold back on these bold statements. The HK45 and P30 are certainly good weapons (I'm a HK fan myself) and besides the 1911 platform, they are the only polymer handguns I own -- an Elite in .45ACP and an USPc in .357 Sig...

A few days ago I picked up a S&W M&P45 and I believe this one has a good chance of staying in the safe beside the H&K's and several dozen 1911 pistols, plus a few other platforms thrown in (BHP, M9, etc.). A HK45 is on the way as well, so I'm open-minded to certain polymer frames...

One thing none of them have (over a good M1911A1 Gov't) is that all-steel feel, and none of them, IMO, sits in my hand as well, points as naturally, has a trigger as good, and can be put into action as quickly...

Shoot 'em, train with 'em, but don't push the 1911 pattern aside (quite yet), until you've given them a year or so...curb that enthusiasm, BanditSRT8.
I respect your enthusiasm as well, but it's not like I gave the 1911 a quick shot and dismissed it at all.

I have owned somewhere around 15 1911 clones from Colt "Custom Shop" pieces like the Tactical Officer's Lightweight (from the early 90's) to full house race guns. I have bought Springfields, Paras, Kimbers, and many more.

The sad thing is I LOVE the 1911 platform, but unless I had one severely worked, they were not reliable. Surely this is not news to you as a 1911 fan. I never give up on a 1911 until I have at least 500 rounds through it, but more typically around 1,000 rounds through it. When I put 1,000 rounds through a pistol and it fails to fully chamber the top round from the mag, or runs in FTF's cycles every other mag or so... I don't want to rely on it to possibly save my life someday.

There are no doubt MILLIONS of perfectly functioning 1911's out there. And there are no doubt polymer framed guns (Glock, XD's, HK's, etc) that have had reliability issues as well. But from my own personal experiences from working earlier in my life in the industry, and shooting matches... I have seen the 1911 as less than exemplary in the reliability department.

Does this mean they are garbage? No, they are fine shooting pistols, and can in many cases be the most accurate pistol you can own. But I have yet to own a Glock that any less accurate in my hands, and the Glock always went bang when I pulled the trigger.

There's something to be said for a gun that will come out of the box brand new, with no break in, and cycle reliably from the 1st shot until I get rid of it thousands of rounds later. That has yet to happen with any 1911 variant that I have owned.

I have been a fan of HK since I owned my 1st P7M8 back in the early 90's. Reliable form the word go, fast cycling, flat shooting, and scary-accurate. Now I find the same joys in these new-age HK's.

I don't have a sore depression in my hand after firing the HK like I do from my Kimber thanks to the memory bump beavertail safety. I don't feel the "shock" through my wrist and forearm from every shot because the polymer frame absorbes a large amount of the energy. I don't have that thought in the back of my mind after every shot has fired "Did the slide go all the way back into battery???" like I do with the Kimber.

After Kimber replaced the recoil spring, throated the barrel, and adjusted the extractor it did not FTF during shooting, and I was happy for that. Then on the 3rd mag I loaded it would not fully chamber the top round in my Wilson mag. I tried again, same thing. I slapped in the OEM Kimber mag... guess what? Yup, same issue. Why should I put up with that from a $1050 retail priced 1911?

As far as the 'feel of a steel frame' goes, I could care less. Does it feel more manly to you if it is steel? Maybe, I don't know. I like the shock buffer that the polymer frames have. I also like aluminum frames as well, I've never had a Sig that I hated.

I'm not sure that my 1911's are any faster into action than my HKs however, as you have pointed out. My HK45 can be carried cocked-n-locked in the same manner.
My P30 and Glock... all I need to do is draw and fire. Pretty quick I'd say. If you want the feel of a metal gun and be fast into action while being reliable and accurate... you should probably buy a P7M8 and know that you own the best possible pistol made. Food for thought.

Will I continue to purchase 1911's? Absolutely. Simply the most beautiful pistols in the world, and the right ones can be a joy to shoot. But it will only be a high dollar, fully built custom so that I am assured that everything that COULD be done to make it reliable has been done.

Until then, I will enjoy the more pleasurable range shooting of my new HK's, and I will confidently slide them into my holster as I leave my house every day knowing full well that in my personal experiences shooting this pistol that it will function properly if the need ever arises that I need to draw it in self defense.

Now i know you disagree, but there's no reason to take any tone with me, I'm not a bully who doesn't see other people's points of view. But when you say things like "curb your enthusiasm" it tells me that you are believing that you are somehow better than me. I hope that this is not the case, and I simply mis-read your comments.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
BanditSRT8 said:
I respect your enthusiasm as well, but it's not like I gave the 1911 a quick shot and dismissed it at all.

I have owned somewhere around 15 1911 clones from Colt "Custom Shop" pices like the Tactical Officer's Lightweight (from the early 90's) to full house race guns. I have bought Springfields, Paras, Kimbers, and many more.

The sad thing is I LOVE the 1911 platform, but unless I had one severely worked, they were not reliable. Surely this is not news to you as a 1911 fan. I never give up on a 1911 until I have at least 500 rounds through it, but more typically around 1,000 rounds through it. When I put 1,000 rounds through a pistol and it fails to fully chamber the top round from the mag, or runs in FTF's cycles every other mag or so... I don't want to rely on it to possibly save my life someday.

There are no doubt MILLIONS of perfectly functioning 1911's out there. And there are no doubt polymer framed guns (Glock, XD's, HK's, etc) that have had reliability issues as well. But from my own personal experiences from working earlier in my life i the industry, and shooting matches... I have seen the 1911 as less than exemplary in the reliability department.

Does this mean they are garbage? No, they are fine shooting pistols, and can in many cases be the most accurate pistol you can own. But I have yet to own a Glock that any less accurate in my hands, and the Glock always went bang when I pulled the trigger.

There's something to be said for a gun that will come out of the box brand new, with no break in, and cycle reliably from the 1st shot until I get rid of it thousands of rounds later. That has yet to happen with any 1911 variant that I have owned.

I have been a fan of HK since I owned my 1st P7M8 back in the early 90's. Reliable form the word go, fast cycling, flat shooting, and scary-accurate. Now I find the same joys in these new-age HK's.

I don't have a sore depression in my hand after firing the HK like I do from my Kimber thanks to the safety bump beavertail safety. I don't feel the "shock" through my wrist and forearm from every shot because the polymer frame absorbes a large amount of the energy. I don't have that thought in the back of my mind after every shot has fired "Did the slide go all the way back into battery???" like I do with the Kimber.

After Kimber replaced the recoil spring, throated the barrel, and adjusted the extractor it did not FTF during shooting, and I was happy for that. Then on the 3rd mag I loaded it would not fully chamber the top round in my Wilson mag. I tried again, same thing. I slapped in the OEM Kimber mag... guess what? Yup, same issue. Why should I put up with that from a $1050 retail priced 1911?

Will I continue to purchase 1911's? Absolutely. Simply the most beautiful pistols in thw world, and the right ones can be a joy to shoot. But it will only be a high dollar, fully built custom so that I am assured that everything that COULD be done to make it reliable has been done.

Until then, I will enjoy the more pleasurable range shooting of my new HK's, and I will confidently slide them into my holster as I leave my house every day knowing full well that in my personal experiences shooting this pistol that it will function properly if the need ever arises that I need to draw it in self defense.

Well stated, Sir...we are closer in philosophy than what you or I might think BanditSRT8. I carry a 1911 Gov't as my primary carry piece (has yet to fail after well past 6K rounds, as do most of my 1911 platforms), but my back-up is a H&K USPc in .357 Sig the majority of the time...

I also think your choice (and my choice when I carry a polymer framed handgun) of the H&K is top shelf, IMO, the very best of this design bar none. I'll get back to you in a week or so after I test/train with my just delivered S&W M&P45 and the new HK45 that will hit the shop tomorrow...

After 30+ years carrying the Gov't, however, I have yet to find a more natural pointing, better fit/handling, better trigger, and faster gun into action than the 1911, and mine have been as reliable as any handgun I have ever owned (that includes XD, Glock, Ruger, S&W, H&K, etc -- well, you get the idea)...

I sure hope the M&P45 and HK45 can at least equal the Gov't in handling, natural aim, and quick into action. I will accept three of four parts as an adequate formula for a qualified carry piece (the other polymers never did make the grade). The H&K, especially the USPc, however, was very close if not considering the trigger as a disqualifier)...

I also realize, nevertheless, that no other current handgun design (polymer or not) will equal the Government/Commander models when it comes to the trigger; and to me that that simply spells accuracy, which also is a substantial piece of the survival puzzle during any self-defense situation/scenario...

So you see, we're in the same self-defense lifeboat, so to speak, as I carry both a Gov't model and a compact polymer pistol -- the best of both worlds for me...:rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts