1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an unfired Cold GCNM on Gunbroker, manufactured is 1991, and put it on layaway. I noticed that the buyer is selling another GCNM also manufactured in 1991, and upon close inspection, found that the pictures are of the exact same gun, with the same serial number. The buyer didn't say in his ad that the pictures were representative of what was for sale, but it was certainly implied that the pictures were of the actual item. Now I'm worried that, either the one I bought isn't nearly as perfect as the one advertised, or that the seller is bogus and trying to scam me. I haven't contacted him yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow. What do you guys think is going on? If it were you, what questions would you ask?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
What’s the feedback score of the seller?
Is he listed as an FFL dealer?
Does he have a retail location that you can find?
What other items are they selling?
Do they have listings on GunsAmerica or Guns International?
Was the price significantly below market?

Answers to these question will help to assuage your concerns or point to the need for police or other administrative intervention.
Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has over 600 positive feedback.
He is listed as an FFL
His address is listed
I don't know if he sells on other sites.
The auction started as a penny auction.
I ended up paying fair market price

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve seen that sort of thing on GB fairly often. The better FFLs usually have a disclaimer in the item description stating that the gun pictured is representative and may not be the actual firearm being auctioned/sold.

Reactions: benn454 and Nanuk

·
Premium Member
7,672 Posts
I prefer to speak to whoever I buy from on GB, private or FFL.
I’ve never had a problem. Btw, I don’t do layaways either.

·
Premium Member
9,916 Posts
It’s just a stock photo. He’s not gonna waste time taking pics of every GC he has for sale.
At any rate, it’s supposed to be new condition unfired. Reach out and ask....he’s not gonna yell at you!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That is very common.
Dealers that have higher volume of sells just don't have the time and resources to photograph every gun they sell. You see this re-use of photos particularly when a dealer has multiples of the same model and description of condition. Usually you only see pics of the exact gun from dealers with smaller sell volumes, or when the item is unique in some way, like it is the only one they have or it has some special value.

I've bought quite a few like that with no problem.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Side note: I buy/sell classic cars.

I commonly see MY car ads & photographs stolen/hijacked and listed as being "for sale" by someone else, usually at exactly HALF my price.

. This is a massive pain in the butt for me on many levels, including potential buyers accusing ME of being the scammer!

The scammer/ad stealer is trying to get people to send him a deposit to "hold" a car (at an incredible price!) that he doesn't even have. The ploy is just to soak the buyer for a deposit &/or "shipping" costs, sent directly to a fictional shipper, who is actually the scammer himself.

Is this the OP's situation? No, I really really doubt it. His deal sounds legit.

PS, Wyseman, your stated "I plan on contacting him tomorrow" is not swell tactic. If you were really being hosed you would would have to act IMMEDIATLEY. Every hour that goes by makes it harder to unravel a bad deal. If someone grabs your wallet you don't wait, you act NOW, not on another day. Just some advice from the peanut gallery. --------------- MM

·
Administrator
74,730 Posts
Guys, we're talking about a gun made in 1991. The pictures would NOT be representative of the actual item because it is long out of production! Contact the seller ASAP and let him know that you just won an auction for the exact item pictured. If he isn't selling you that exact one then you have a right to renege on the sale as it's being dishonest. Stock photos of currently-produced guns is one thing, but a 30 year-old used firearm is a completely different story.

On a personal note, I never bid on auctions using a stock photos even if they're new. A long time ago I did on a new-old-stock Beretta 92FS, and the seller was nice enough to send me the one he had with a big scratch on the frame and a cross-threaded grip screw instead of the one listed in the ad which was perfect. Had I known I would be getting his bad one I would've never bid on it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
New is new, sounds legit. Call and ask your questions. Now is the time to resolve any questions before payment and shipping. Actually before bidding would have been better but that’s long past. Reach out he should be open to a Discussion.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Whenever I have made purchases on Gunbroker, it is a given that unless the seller specifically states that the picture is of the actual item up for sale, it is probably a stock photo just for representation of the item being sold. I've seen many dealers that specifically state that the picture is the actual item up for sale/auction. I usually don't make a purchase from a seller with either 0 or very low number transactions or one with a lot of negative transactions and they seem unreasonable in their responses to the negative info from the buyers. I haven't been ripped off on Gunbroker purchases since I've been buying through them for over a decade.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
dsk------- The OP said it was unfired. So not really "used" as much as pre-owned. Sounds like it could be a New In Box, or New Without Box Situation. I have a few such flawless, unfired guns, decades older than 1991 !

It could easily be a perfect example. 1991, in my gun timeline, is close to last Thursday.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm not interested enough in acquiring a gun if the auction is only using stock photographs to illustrate it. I'm one needs to see the actual firearm depicted either new or used.
I agree, if the gun is "used." If it's brand new in the box, then I find that's unnecessary. I've been buying on there for over a decade and have never been surprised or disappointed.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm another happy GunBroker customer who has never been burnt. Adhering to the habit of only buying guns actually photographed contributes to the great track record. I love to leave feedback like "better than described" or "better even than photographs indicated."

Reminds me, I need to get on there and leave some feedback.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Even if it is used, if the seller has a number of them in "similar condition" you're going to see some sellers posting the same photo.

Many people buy other kinds of pistols and shotguns, from reputable, high-volume sellers, that were LEO trade-ins and the sellers post a single photo as "representative" of the lot.

Is it likely that a seller has more than one GCNM in similar condition? I don't know. Is the seller lazy? I don't know that either. But the situation is not unusual and generally ends in a positive transaction. But always do your homework and research a seller before buying.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts