1911Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
First and Foremost. NOT Defending Gun Poker AKA Gun Broker in the least. My wife and I have done well there over the past 15 years retail. About 3 or 4 years ago GB lowered standards to whether or not you have a pulse you can get an account. Scamming went off the charts since then. From Non Rated and long term Dormant Accounts with low feedback are happening daily

Back then were getting about 1 out of 5 Non Paying Bidders. Today it is about 1 out of 10. We rarely use Gun Broker for any large or unique to retail. just a lot of parts and a few common guns. Too many of the "race to the bottom" and low or not rated who never come through. Part of the "auction" mindset. I mean get real when I have a 1911 part at $9.99 and the bidder wants to "work out a price" Yes, that happens or similar about 3 times a week on about 200 to 400 listings.

Yes, we have found some incredible treasures on GB from vendors with low ratings but we did all we could to verify the item and the vendor as real. Pictures help a lot.

We now do a lot on Guns International and have done decent over there. At least you are dealing with a human vendor 99.9% of the time. Many are individuals and many are long term retail like Collectors in Houston and similar. Yes, price points are higher for the most part but at least you can talk to a human and do something from there. You can gauge a little better if you are getting what you want.

One more thing on Guns International. You call the Guns International and you also to talk to one of three. Dave, Deb or Hunter. Yes, a breathing, live human being who runs and screens the vendors who open accounts. Try it.

Also on scammers countless pictures are copied from everywhere to be used in the fake listings. We get about two calls or emails a week. And yes, when you report it to Gun BROKER in about 2 or 3 months you may or may not get a programed response.

Now on reality. There are very very very very very few if any prosecutions from any out of state below 6 figure transactions of any kind. No agency will prosecute anything that is misdemeanor money in a fraud out of state. Secret Service is money crime but under 6 figure no chance. ATF it may be a gun ad but no gun is involved. Just the picture of a gun. Now State, County or City police agencies rarely have the funds or resources for out of state prosecutions. So that gives scammers a green light to SCAM

I have posted this comment before. During my LEO career was watching a Secret Service interview of a fraud suspect who had well over 6 figures in fraud from about 200 defrauded individuals. He words to the effect "its easy, Bottom Feeders get fed from the Bottom." Yes, he walked

You own personal protections, as much as I dislike it some form of credit and NOT those techie Square, Zell or Paypal Feces. Whatever credit card you use you can cancel the charge if the item is not received. At lease I think that is the case.

Regardless. Do your best to check out the vendor or whatever but the internet is good resource for getting a hard to find item as well as getting screwed

Do your research but you get what you paid for either up front or back end.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
New is new, sounds legit.
dsk------- The OP said it was unfired. So not really "used" as much as pre-owned. Sounds like it could be a New In Box, or New Without Box Situation. I have a few such flawless, unfired guns, decades older than 1991 !

It could easily be a perfect example. 1991, in my gun timeline, is close to last Thursday.
Here is the problem guys. There is no warranty on a 30 year-old gun, so no it is definitely NOT new. Back in 1991 Colt was still in the throes of its worst QC slump in its history. I've mentioned many times that I bought a Series 80 from 1989 that was darn near perfect, and recently when looking for another one I found a pistol just a few thousand numbers off from mine that had absolutely HORRIBLE quality control... terrible polishing and machining anomalies that would've been immediately obvious to anyone who saw it laying next to mine. Imagine if I bought it from an auction using a stock photo or a photo of the one I currently have? I'd be pissed.

I want to see the actual one I'm getting, unless it's new and current production with a factory warranty and a return policy, and that I know hasn't been sitting around for more than a few months after leaving the factory. 30 years old? There are guys on this forum that weren't even born yet back when that gun was made!

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Super Moderator
1,889 Posts
There are guys on this forum that weren't even born yet back when that gun was made!
Got to admit. That is a good one. Make my 70 year old bones feel better. ;)

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Here is the problem guys. There is no warranty on a 30 year-old gun, so no it is definitely NOT new. Back in 1991 Colt was still in the throes of its worst QC slump in its history. I've mentioned many times that I bought a Series 80 from 1989 that was darn near perfect, and recently when looking for another one I found a pistol just a few thousand numbers off from mine that had absolutely HORRIBLE quality control... terrible polishing and machining anomalies that would've been immediately obvious to anyone who saw it laying next to mine. Imagine if I bought it from an auction using a stock photo or a photo of the one I currently have? I'd be pissed.

I want to see the actual one I'm getting, unless it's new and current production with a factory warranty and a return policy, and that I know hasn't been sitting around for more than a few months after leaving the factory. 30 years old? There are guys on this forum that weren't even born yet back when that gun was made!
A 30-yr-old-Glock would be under warranty.;)

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Many years ago, I purchased a new in the box, two tone, 1911 Colt .38 super Elite, with serial # 00439 at a retail gun store. I looked the pistol over thoroughly, and thought it was great. It was purported to be one of 1,500 pistols made. After shooting the gun, I was very disappointed in the quality and accuracy of the pistol. I later found out the pistol was actually contracted to be made by a company owned by Armscor in the Philippines. I had to have extensive work done on the pistol to make it accurate and reliable. At that time, I was not building my own firearms. I no longer have the gun, but the 1911 Colt .38 super Elite pistols may have some collector value if in very good condition. I never liked the idea of buying any firearm "sight unseen" and even when I have purchased new in the box pistols, some have turned out to be a disappointment.....

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Many years ago, I purchased a new in the box, two tone, 1911 Colt .38 super Elite, with serial # 00439 at a retail gun store. I looked the pistol over thoroughly, and thought it was great. It was purported to be one of 1,500 pistols made. After shooting the gun, I was very disappointed in the quality and accuracy of the pistol. I later found out the pistol was actually contracted to be made by a company owned by Armscor in the Philippines.
I have never heard of Colt doing anything like that. Are you sure it wasn't a fake?

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
A 30 year old Glock would be broken.
It would be alright though. You could replace the parts with Crosman....
Funny side note to your expected Glock jab is is that I have a Crossman pellet gun that's at least 30 years old, and it still works fine too.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
Rwehavingfunyet -------- Products generally have the country of manufacture right on them. ATF website says that guns must have the country of origin conspicuously rollmarked, engraved, or stamped on firearms. Are you certain that it's Philippine Manufacture wasn't gunshop-counterman hearsay BS?

Because I doubt that Colt would falsify or omit required markings.

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Armscor 1911s are also pretty easy to spot... their frames have noticeably different contours than a Colt.

·
2,986 Posts
If you haven't paid yet and are worried, you could always contact him to verify once more the gun is in fact in NEW OLD STOCK UNFIRED CONDITION as pictured. If his answer is yes then it is up to you whether you are are going to follow through. If he sends a pistol that is not NOS unfired then you can ask him for a refund, file a claim with your card if he doesn't process the refund, and complain to gunbroker. If it is NOS unfired but has a defect not pictured I believe you can also seek a refund...receiving one with a different serial number would be handy in that situation.

If you don't follow through I am sure there are some repercussions with gunbroker as a non-paying bidder. I think the key is to get comfortable with all of this before bidding on/winning auctions (there is a similar thread about paying with money orders).

Not long ago I bought one from a guy with only 400 feedback and paid him with zelle. It worked out fine.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts