1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991A1 that I bought back in 1996.
I had Bob Miller of "Action Sports of Texas" put the usual Ed Brown beaver tail, EB Ambi safety, EB 20 LPI MSH, Vedeki trigger with STI sear and hammer (4 lbs crisp pull), Novak low mount sights, one piece FLGR, and a very nice stippled front strap.

I kept the pistol's slide to frame, barrel and bushing stock. I didn't want to lose the drop in the mud reliability of the John M. Browning tolorances.

The pistol is a pure carry gun. If I had Bob fit a match barrel to the slide and a match bushing, would I lose the dust and dirt reliability of the original Browning specs.

My view of a carry gun is a gun that would go thru the same stuff that I went thru in my 6 years in the 82nd, example: Grunge, dirt, sand, and sub zero weather.

P.S. Yes I want a SHTF pistol as is my army upbringing. I know a tight slide to frame fit can be a hazard for the parameters I just described, but does a nice barrel and bushing cause a loss to that?

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't see any response to your post. It may be because you've asked a difficult question. You said this is a pure carry gun. If that's the case, I'm wondering why you would even want to fit a match barrel and bushing to it. True, it'll enhance the accuracy, and the only place the dirt/sand, etc would hurt it is the barrel to bushing fit. However, for a pure carry gun with 100% reliability the prime objective, I'd leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi EIGHTYDUECE, I’m with Bob on your question, why do you want a new barrel? Believe it or not Colt does make a very good barrel, only draw back is some have grossly under size locking lugs, which isn’t real good for top accuracy. But this sounds like it’s right up your alley if you want to play on the beach with your pistol.

OK, back to your question, a properly fit match grade barrel leaves very little to no tolerance, so this is not good for your set-up, after the new barrel a tight slide and frame fit will gain you a SMALL bit of accuracy which would be next to impossible for the average shooter to measure.

I assume you want the new barrel for accuracy; this is what I do; I weld the rear hood of the barrel (rear hood is the small rectangular portion of the barrel at the chamber end that slides into the breech face) to remove the gross tolerance. After welding I measure the slides barrel channel and bolt face and then transfer the measurements onto the rear hood. The hood is left longer to remove the for & aft play to illuminate battering of the upper lugs and left wider to center the barrel in the slide. I DO NOT weld the lower lugs. I install a .284 link to snug-up the upper lock-up. This set-up will buy you more accuracy and should not compromise your reliability. For more on the subject read this in the "how to" http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003158.html

Metal Smith

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you fellows for the respons.

The reason I was thinking of going with a hand fit barrel and bushing was my pistol gets on average a 5" group from a sand bag with the stock config at 25 yrds.

I fired my brothers CZ-85 and I could easily get 2" groups with it at 25 yrds. (BTW his CZ came with a test target that shot 1" groups at 25 meters from the factory) Got to love the CZ
that company really is very good at gun making, and I recomend thier pistols anytime I have someone ask about them.

I look at it this way, a tight bushing should not demenish reliability in the dirt. I think I will leave the stock barrel as is and just have my smith put a custom bushing and stick with the accuracy it shoots. The custom bushing should buy me a couple inches, since my stock one is pretty loose (VERY LOOSE)

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
When your pistol is in battery, how much "push down" do you have on the barrel hood? You can have that problem corected by a good 'smith and accuracy should improve.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For a quick fix, you might try this: Order a Dwyer Group Gripper with the full length guide rod. This part, when installed, pushes the locking lugs of the barrel into tight engagement with the lugs in the slide. Next, order a Briley Spherical Bushing. Measure the outer diameter of your barrel at the muzzle, and order the bushing and ring .001 larger than that diameter. This will give you all of the benefits of a match bushing with the convenience of drop-in installation. You can order both of these parts at: www.brownells.com

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi EIGHTYDUECE, a new match grade barrel not fit overly tight so it goes into battery with very little friction (as in not jammed together) but no looseness should get you a inch @ 25 yards, Metal Smith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts