1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Custom Classic and it is a gem. I have just finished a case of Blazer 230 grain FMJ and had no problems what-so-ever. I would like to try some new ammo. What would you recommend using reliability and accuracy as criteria: 1. PMC 230 FMJ; 2. Sellier & Belloit 230 FMJ; 3. Blazer 230 FMJ; 4. Winchester white box 230 FMJ; 5. Federal military contract 230 FMJ; 6. Fiochetti(?) 230 FMJ or 7. Gunshow 230 gr FMJ reloads?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Number 4 or 5, save the brass and start to reload down the road. #3 could be an option if cost is right and you are sure you will never reload. Does not shoot very accurate out of my 1911s though. Under no circumstances would I ever go with #7.

·
Registered
177 Posts
S and B 45 is about $187 per 1000 round case (delivered) from a variety of sources, and is accurate and reliable for practice ammo. Winchester 230JHP is very good defensive ammo and at $16 per box of 50 (Walmart) it is one of the few defensive rounds cheap enough for you to truly function test in your carry gun.

------------------
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll put in a plug for Fiocchi.

I ordered 1000 rds from ammoman.com... I think it was about $194 delivered.

1. Italian made, but very clean and obviously well manufactured.

2. A little hot... but that's subjective... I didn't chronograph it. But easy to shoot nonetheless.

3. Amazingly clean. I reload with Hogdon Clays, which is supposed to be some of the cleanest stuff around, but whatever Fiocchi loads their bullet with it's significantly cleaner still. I wish I knew what it was... I'd switch to that powder without hesitation.

4. Low flash and very consistent. Not a single hiccup in feeding or ejecting.

5. The brass is the best part. It reminds me a lot of brass from surplus military .45 ammo... no rounded corners or beveled primer wells here. But it reloads beautifully, and is either (1) harder brass or (2) thicker brass than my Winchester or Speer or S&B brass... it doesn't show wear as quickly, and takes a little more force to go through my press. Regardless, it's holding up better than any other brass I've used.

So... two thumbs way up for Fiocchi. The only downside I can come up with is that it comes in cheap plastic containers that fracture easily... big deal

------------------
Liberty45 Sends

·
Registered
207 Posts
Winchester White Box, Fiocchi, CCI Blazer, CCI Lawman, all experiences with these have been 2nd to none.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I shot S&B (230gr) through my Kimbers w/no problems, although a little dirty...

I paid 169.99 for 1,000rds of S & B.

-- x --

I have since decided to fuel my hobby w/American Made Products and switched to Federal American Eagle (Red Box).

No problems, and is cleaner...

I pay 219.00 for 1,000rds.

-- x --

I suggest either of above...

Thanks and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Just curious, if Blazer works well for your gun and Blazer is so doggone cheap, why are you looking to branch out into more expensive ammo?

I have shot a lot of Fiocchi and find it much cleaner than S&B, Winchester, UMC, and commercial reloads. My reloading buddies loved me for shooting it because the brass is much cleaner to start with, plus seems to last through several reloads. I don't reload and got tired of supplementing their addiction by providing brass that cost me money. If the Blazer works for you, as it does for me, and you don't reload, I don't see much reason for you to change ammo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Double Naught Spy - Blazer works very well for me. Its just that I haven't run anything in quantity through the Kimber except it. Shot a two boxes of Federal Military contract overrun and the groups grew to over twice the size of the Blazer. I have no idea how the other brands will do. Looks like each pistol has its favorite diet. Two boxes of Winchester white box left my Kimber dirtier than any other ammo but its pretty accurate. I may just stick with the Blazer and experiment with lesser quantities of other ball ammo. One thing I have learned is there will be no money for reloads. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by Double Naught Spy:
Just curious, if Blazer works well for your gun and Blazer is so doggone cheap, why are you looking to branch out into more expensive ammo?

I have shot a lot of Fiocchi and find it much cleaner than S&B, Winchester, UMC, and commercial reloads. My reloading buddies loved me for shooting it because the brass is much cleaner to start with, plus seems to last through several reloads. I don't reload and got tired of supplementing their addiction by providing brass that cost me money. If the Blazer works for you, as it does for me, and you don't reload, I don't see much reason for you to change ammo.
i agree with double nought. i like fiochi
it is accurate in all i have used it in
and if it was cheaper i would use it more
but i can get blazer for 158.00 delivered
and it works great and and i do not reload. i just dont want to bother with
the time,space,and cost. i do reload
458 socom cause corbon want 1.90 a rnd.
i can handle $.16 a round.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts