1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like some advice. I have a 3 older Colt Government Models that I’d like refinished / re-blued.

I’m not looking for a typical job however. I’m looking for an “artist” that is committed to impeccable work.

I’d like:

1) The blend lines trued up (frame and slide) as they are bit wavy and crooked ,
2) The slide fit adjusted and/or the lower part of the front of the slide relieved to eliminate the rub marks on the lower front part of the slide.
3) Top and bottom of the slide/frame matted (bead blasted) with the sides of the slide, frame, safety and slide release polish to a mirror like finish (without rounding off the edges or smearing the roll marking)--- and then the whole thing blued to produce a finish equal to the old high-polish royal blue jobs.

Do any of you guys know of anyone that has the talent/patience to do this work for me? The truing of the blend lines is the step I’m particularly insecure about. Cost really isn’t a major concern……

Thanks in advance

Respectfully – Mike Barfelz

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Hi Mike, Dave Stagg specializes in Colt restoration work and it sounds like he may be perfect for this type of job, I’ve done business with Dave for about 5 or 6 years and can attest to the fact that he is a gentleman and has sound business practices. Although I’ve have not examined his work first hand I think he would be one of my first choices for your type of job. Many smiths are capable of doing your job but may not like that type of work, Dave likes this type of work, contact him at 309-523-2597.

Ned may also be a good choice, although I have not examined his work first hand either and do not know if he likes this type of work. He has some pictures on the Forum and a web site. Ned strikes me as a true craftsmen and one of the types of smiths that can do most anything well.
Metal Smith, Pete Single

·
Registered
421 Posts
You might give this guy a call:

MORRIS CUSTOM PISTOLS

I don't know anything about him, other than what his web site talks about. The pricing is out of my range ($4200 for a Tactical Elite on your gun!), but you said $$ was not a concern. In his words:

I am a fanatic about detail and that is why my pistols stand out when compared to the rest. In some cases my work costs more; that's because I take the extra time to make sure the fit is the best to be had. There is never going to be a compromised, "that's good enough," pistol leaving my shop. You, my customer, are guaranteed to have the best.
Anyway, it might be worth a look and/or phone call.

[This message has been edited by Kevinch (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dave Stagg would be my choice for that type of work. Im sending him a 56 Colt on monday so you better beat me to UPS

Once again, Metalsmith nails it.

Oh yeah, i will be posting before/after pics.

[This message has been edited by RMLamey (edited 08-25-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts