1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So I inherited a 1941 colt national match 1911. It has that weird safety thats rare, and all the serial numbers match (receiver, upper, and barrel). It was completely original since purchased in 1941, and was carried by my grandfather in Korea. He was USMC.

I was showing my neighbor a few guns that I got from my grandfather. He picked up one of the guns that was loaded, and without checking it pulled the trigger like an idiot. Being that he was a police officer for 3 years, I really didnt think he was that stupid. Any ways, the bullet went through my finger and hit the above mentioned colt in he receiver.

I took the gun to a local gunsmith to have it repaired. He did a so/so job on the repair, and im completely heartbroken. It looks like he rattle canned the receiver black after fixing it. So now the upper doesnt match the receiver.

Im debating sending it to colt to see if they can strip it and refinish it.

So FINALLY heres my question:

If they CAN refinish it,

Should I have them just refinish the receiver and leave the upper original?
Should I just have them refinish the whole gun so it all matches?
How badly did the value of the gun drop since it was repaired and shows slight "tooling" marks?

I just dont know what to do now. I could care less about my finger, its the gun im worried about.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
First off, I hope your finger is OK. Unfortunately the pistol isn't, as the damage has ruined its value as a collectible. Even if properly refinished it will still have lost significant value. Colt is unlikely to be able to refinish it correctly as all they do now is modern hot-tank bluing. Your pistol was blued in a gas oven, and few shops do that kind of work. Doug Turnbull is one of them, but he's very expensive. Ford's Refinishing and Ron's Gun Shop (do a Google search) are two alternates.

As for the gunsmith, he's probably like a lot of small shops who only uses spray-on finishes like Cerakote these days. It's getting harder and harder to have a shop set up to do bluing, as the chemicals are nasty and there's always the EPA to worry about.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not a cold hearted guy but if it was me I would give the pistol to him and bill him for the damages........$3,000 for the pistol?? If all correct? I'm sure it wasn't his intent to damage you or your pistol but it isn't like he damaged a $250 Ruger 10/22.

Then again, always treat a weapon as if it were loaded. I'd like to know your friend has some remorse. As DSK pointed out, your pistol has badly had its value deminished :( .

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
I just goes to show how a large segment of the population chooses to ignore the basic rules of gun safety, even those who should know better. My own father nearly got his head blown off during the occupation of Japan when a fellow Army Air Force guard finger-flirting with his M1 Carbine late at night inadvertently pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
They are always loaded. As long as you know they are always loaded then you have passed the first step. My father told me that when I was about five I think. And in our house there were lots of guns, they were not locked away, and they were always loaded. I survived so it is possible.

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
And any collector value to the old National Match is gone except the family history of which the latest episode involves your finger. Write it up, put it with the pistol and pass it on.

·
Registered
21,857 Posts
Colt will not fix it and even if they would work on it, would not make it look like it did in 1941. Go with one of the custom shops named above.

(I saw pictures of a prewar Colt somebody sent in to be "restored." Colt made it look like new... but 2014 new, not 1935 new.)

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident. Hope the finger heals fully. Saw the two pistols in your other thread. Beautiful. I've recently posted a thread in search of the types / names associated with the infamous Shark Fin front sight found on many NM pistols such as yours. I would appreciate help from anyone in identifying the rear sights on the OP's pistols. Thanks.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=497740

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Pretty much everything that needs to be said, has been covered. I concur that value is ruined. Turnbull is where I would send it. Heirloom guns deserve it.

·
Registered
21,857 Posts
Sorry to hear of the unfortunate incident. Hope the finger heals fully. Saw the two pistols in your other thread. Beautiful. I've recently posted a thread in search of the types / names associated with the infamous Shark Fin front sight found on many NM pistols such as yours. I would appreciate help from anyone in identifying the rear sights on the OP's pistols. Thanks.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=497740

The rear sight shown is a Micro.

The undercut front sight might be, too, but a competent gunsmith could whip one up out of key stock without much trouble.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the responses. I'm out of town for the weekend, but will post pics when I get back home.

I was never intending to sell the pistol, but it was awesome that it was all original, and saved my grandfathers life more than once in Korea. But it still makes me sick literally what happened.

My neighbor is SUPER remorseful, and has actually been on a downward spiral in his family life because of the incident.
Should I start a new thread when I post pics or post them to here?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'd say start a fresh thread. With some good pictures we can give you some better advice on what all the gun needs.

·
Administrator
73,034 Posts
No, please add them here, for the sake of continuity. We try not to have multiple threads running on the same subject and it'll eliminate you from having to add the backstory all over again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello all!

Ok, ill post pics here. If I dont get many responses I might repost thread and try and delete this one.

Heres where the gun got hit, and the bullet, lol.

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

The bullet was from a 1922 colt .32. Glad it wasnt from one of the .45's, lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts