1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received a M1911A1 45 Auto. I beleive it to be made by colt at least the frame is. Due to info I received with regard to the Print on side of frame. It does however have a S&S stamp on slide. Does anyone know if I can find further info based on these stamping & prints on the gun?

------------------
RAM

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts
It's hard for us to tell you anything without being provided more info. What marks are on both the slide and frame, and at what locations?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dsk:
It's hard for us to tell you anything without being provided more info. What marks are on both the slide and frame, and at what locations?

It has printed on the frame right hand side
UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY
IT HAS ON SLIDE IN LARGE LETTERS S&S
U S&S CO SWISSVALLE, PA U.S.A

------------------
RAM

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Originally posted by RAM:
Originally posted by dsk:

It has printed on the frame right hand side
UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY
IT HAS ON SLIDE IN LARGE LETTERS S&S
U S&S CO SWISSVALLE, PA U.S.A

Hello Ram....
Still need more information. So far, we can tell you that you have a Union Switch & Signal WWII slide, but on top of what? Can't tell you anymore unless we have the serial number and the inspectors initials just aft and below the slide release. Should see either FJA or RCD within a circle (RCD only). Give us your serial number, and substitute "XX" for the last two numbers and we'll be able to answer more questions. What does the finish look like? What other stamped markings are there? What do the grips look like? Are they wood or brown plastic? Does the frame have a lanyard loop? The more info, the better.
Regards,
Sam

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys. I dont have the weapon in front of me right now as I am at work fighting crime but FYI the weapon came in a grey parkarized finish with brown plastic grips. There are additional stamped intials on various loactions on the gun and I'll post them asap when I get back home & have it in front of me.
BTW I also received a M-14A1 rifle from the same program. Upon receiving this weapon the selector switch had been removed. I was required by ATF to register it as a machinegun. I was wondering if anyone can elighten me as to what was removed or added to make the weapon no longer full auto. I shot 20 rounds through it and it shot extremely well from about 50 yards. It was evidently left in the semi-auto mode before being re-issued to Law Enforcement Agencies such as mine.
Thanks for the help

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like Initials "FJ" around the slide. No other stamps visible accept number 3 on trigger guard. Serial # is 2159633
Check yall next trip

------------------
RAM

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hello Ram...

1945 Remington Rand goes with the serial number.

Dsk... Did they make any 1945 US&S with an overlap in serial numbers with Remington Rand?

Regards,
Sam

[This message has been edited by SamColtFan (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts
US&S pistols were only made during 1943. Colt was the only manufacturer to overlap serial numbers with those of the contractors, and only in early 1943 during the initial confusion over four companies making M1911A1s all at once.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-31-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So If I understand correctly I have is a Remington Rand frame made in 45 with a S&S slide made in 43???

------------------
RAM

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts
Yes, the frame is apparently Remington Rand and the slide is off a Union Switch & Signal. Military mixmasters are fairly common. My dad for example has an M1 Garand with a Winchester receiver and Springfield Armory barrel & small parts. My M1 Carbine is an Inland receiver and barrel, with a Winchester stock & Underwood front sight. The 1911s in military inventory didn't escape any of this parts switching either. When lots of small arms went in for maintenance, they were all stripped and the barrels went in one bucket, the slides in another, and so on.

The chances of finding a rifle with all its original parts is very remote, thus the vast majority of "correct" rifles are in fact "restored". The reason for this is the vast rebuilding programs in the post-war period for M1 Garands and Carbines. There was no rebuilding program for 1911s however, so a much larger percentage of original, correct specimens exist. In addition, a lot of the minty 1911s you see were in fact smuggled home after war's end so they stayed 100% original. It was pretty hard to break down a Garand and hide it inside your duffel bag!

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After closer inspection I did notice a partial symbol stamped on the right side of the frame just behind the grip. It definately looks like the upper right half of the Ordinance Dept. Inspection stamp. So what does that mean

------------------
RAM

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
RAM....
What that means is your pistol was only accepted on a partial basis.
Just kidding! Look up at the chart that dsk posted and you'll see the mark and it's description.

Doesn't change what you have. A Remington frame with a US&S slide.

Don't worry about it. I have a 1918 Colt frame with a 1912-13 Springfield Armory slide put together by Springfield in 1918 when all of the parts were shipped to Springfield near the end of WWI. Then it was later arsenal refinished. Still a neat pistol. Got it in trade for a S&W Victory model.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool Appreciate the help from experts. I wasnt a fan of the Colt 45 when I was in service because the 1 I was issued was clunky and loose and kicked like a mule. This 1 I have now suits the hell out of me. I shot about 50 rounds and I was very pleased. 1 more quick question & I'll leave u guys alone. When I broke it down to clean it after shooting I couldnt remember the trick to gettting the spring back in easily.
I took me awile but I did get it. I know theres a trick to it just cant recall.

·
Administrator
74,009 Posts
???

Me too. The recoil spring fits on the guide first, then is dropped into place in the slide. The hardest part of reassembly is getting the barrel link lined up with the slide stop pin hole and re-inserting the slide stop. I can do it in my sleep nowadays, but way back when I was still in diapers I had trouble getting the slide stop back in.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 11-01-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts