1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently received a M1911A1 45 Auto. I beleive it to be made by colt at least the frame is. Due to info I received with regard to the Print on side of frame. It does however have a S&S stamp on slide. Does anyone know if I can find further info based on these stamping & prints on the gun?

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dsk:
It's hard for us to tell you anything without being provided more info. What marks are on both the slide and frame, and at what locations?

It has printed on the frame right hand side
UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY
IT HAS ON SLIDE IN LARGE LETTERS S&S
U S&S CO SWISSVALLE, PA U.S.A

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick response guys. I dont have the weapon in front of me right now as I am at work fighting crime but FYI the weapon came in a grey parkarized finish with brown plastic grips. There are additional stamped intials on various loactions on the gun and I'll post them asap when I get back home & have it in front of me.
BTW I also received a M-14A1 rifle from the same program. Upon receiving this weapon the selector switch had been removed. I was required by ATF to register it as a machinegun. I was wondering if anyone can elighten me as to what was removed or added to make the weapon no longer full auto. I shot 20 rounds through it and it shot extremely well from about 50 yards. It was evidently left in the semi-auto mode before being re-issued to Law Enforcement Agencies such as mine.
Thanks for the help

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it looks like Initials "FJ" around the slide. No other stamps visible accept number 3 on trigger guard. Serial # is 2159633
Check yall next trip

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After closer inspection I did notice a partial symbol stamped on the right side of the frame just behind the grip. It definately looks like the upper right half of the Ordinance Dept. Inspection stamp. So what does that mean

------------------
RAM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool Appreciate the help from experts. I wasnt a fan of the Colt 45 when I was in service because the 1 I was issued was clunky and loose and kicked like a mule. This 1 I have now suits the hell out of me. I shot about 50 rounds and I was very pleased. 1 more quick question & I'll leave u guys alone. When I broke it down to clean it after shooting I couldnt remember the trick to gettting the spring back in easily.
I took me awile but I did get it. I know theres a trick to it just cant recall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.