1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for SAR-1s at the "fun"show today. Not so sure they're so "fun" anymore. SARs were scraching at the late $300s to early $400s! Looking for a consolation cash dump I found a vendor selling WWIIs for $389 + tax. I offered $350 cash otd and was nearly laughed at. As ****ty as the prices were with other weapons on their table (and everyone else's for that matter) I left empty handed. So, what do you think? Average/fair price, or missed out? Bear in mind that this was a consolation buy, that I have plenty of 1911s including a "real" WWII Rem Rand, and that there are a ton of weapons I would have preferred. If it was a steal (like that ever happens at these shows :rolleyes: ) I'd be more inclined to kick myself. So, what's the going rate for one of these babies?

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
$350 otd ?

How much should the dealer make on a gun he has his money invested in and also keeping in mind table rental and any other misc expenses ? What's a fair percentage ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I paid exactly that at a Houston gun show a couple of months ago and am satisfied it was a fair price. The dealer I got it from was one of two with the newest version. There were others with the black grip loaded chamber indicator blocky frame models, which I did not want. I could have also found the WWII online cheaper but wanted one I could handle, try the trigger, etc. Plus the sales tax and FFL fee about balance out. It shoots great and I carry it more than my other 1911, a Springfield Loaded.

·
Registered
222 Posts
paid $369+tax here and was told by the dealer(good friend) that $330 is his cost.

don't know how true it is, but haven't heard of them selling much less than that anywhere.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guy, that may be something to consider. If you take the SAR-1 The going rate was $360-$380 + tax at the show. Before I left I found the net had a stable supply at $275. 35% avg. markup IMO is absolutely ridiculous. Corvettes have a lower markup than that.

As for the WWII? The seller stated they already sold four. They were doing well enough that they had paid their assistant and the table fee. They were ahead and it wouldn't starve them to let it go for that. I don't have anything against them for their firmness (esp. if people were buying at that price). My point as a buyer was that I didn't really want the weapon so the price would have to be tempting enough to go for it. It wasn't and I passed (and they likely sold to someone else).

But I'll answer your queston more directly...

IMO new guns should have a 10-15% markup. Flexibility from there is optional. If you (the seller) don't like it, you will also be investing time and storage into the unsold weapons, because people like me can and will find a guy willing to meet our demands.

·
Administrator
13,334 Posts
Figuring sales tax into the picture , he would have lost money on the deal using your 10% figure . That's based only on the cost of the gun and no expenses figured in . He shouldn't have laughed , only politely declined .
Just curious . Why were you dickering with him if you didn't want to buy it ?

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind I generally look at higher end 1911s, so I had absolutely no idea what the market value was for the weapon. the sub $400 price tag surprised me, but his consistently overpriced (IMO) inventory told me that he likely got that gun for alot less than he was selling for. I took a stab at what a cut-to the-bone cash sale might be and took a chance. That's all there was to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts