1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a sucker for a double barrel. Especially American made. I picked this one up for a song not too long ago. It has had the "tactical" upgrade done to it as in chopped to 18.25" and a red fiber optic front sight added. But whoever did it performed a very professional job on it. The muzzle looks factory and the fiber optic front sight while not period correct is tastefully done and quite useful. This one is definitely an oldie. I do not think that I have ever encountered a fluid steel barreled gun with zero markings on it. Damascus barreled guns yes,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Air gun Wood Trigger Table Shotgun
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gun accessory Wood stain
Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Hand tool Hardwood

but not fluid steel barrels. It is twelve gauge but has no markings on the barrel, tight and safe to use by my reckoning. I have shot it a number of times.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Looks like a nice one that'd be fun to shoot and handy to have.

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
Nice, I love project guns.

I can picture you on an old stage coach with that in your lap as your scanning the horizon for Apaches or stage coach bandits....

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have always been a sucker for a double barrel. Especially American made. I picked this one up for a song not too long ago. It has had the "tactical" upgrade done to it as in chopped to 18.25" and a red fiber optic front sight added. But whoever did it performed a very professional job on it. The muzzle looks factory and the fiber optic front sight while not period correct is tastefully done and quite useful. This one is definitely an oldie. I do not think that I have ever encountered a fluid steel barreled gun with zero markings on it. Damascus barreled guns yes, View attachment 642907 View attachment 642911 View attachment 642914 View attachment 642915
but not fluid steel barrels. It is twelve gauge but has no markings on the barrel, tight and safe to use by my reckoning. I have shot it a number of times.
Very nice!!!👍😎

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you shot it? What did you shoot?
What is it chambered for 2 1/2“ or 2 3/4”?
I ask because I picked up a 1906 W&C Scott SXS but there’s no 2 1/2” ammo to be had.
I did pick up some shorty shells for it.
While perhaps I should have. I did not even consider that it could have a 2.5" chamber. Subsequently I have fired all kinds of 2-3/4" ammo out of it with no issues. Interesting that you mention that. I also picked up an early Winchester model 12 recently, a twenty gauge that does have a 2.5" chamber. However,
Wood Wall Bedrock Trunk Metal

having examined it and found no real step from the chamber to the barrel. I have subsequently fired a fair number of 2-3/4" shells out of it with no indications of an issue there either. Buckshot in this case. I would however be reluctant to shoot slugs out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
USMM. I was told the former owner of my SXS shot everything as in 2 3/4” through it without issue, as did a few of out fellow forum members. Lighter loads 1 1/8” oz 7-8 shot and some buck shot is what the owners widow came across in the house.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One thing that I have noticed though. With the twenty gauge model 12. The ejected shells have no flare to the end as one would normally find on an ejected case from a modern shotgun. This would indicate to me that there is a bit of constriction there. Is it enough to produce a dangerous pressure spike? That would appear to be the question.
One knowledgeable poster noted that shells of that era had roll crimped case mouths as opposed to the folded ones that we see today. Additionally, some noted as well that many people have shot 2-3/4" shells out of these older 2.5" guns with no issues. While I will refrain from the use of slugs in the model 12. I do not plan to lose a lot of sleep over it otherwise.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been fairly impressed with the Aguila short shells. The Buckshot loads in particular are impressive. Unfortunately they are not available for a twenty gauge. Most of my shotguns see fairly limited use. As stated earlier, I do not plan to sweat it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts