1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I was playing around with my PM-9. Putting on a Dawson magwell and some new VZ grips and I decided to take it apart a little further. Next thing I know I launch my plunger tube spring and detents across my garage into the abyss. After hours, I can't find them. So here I am with my PM-9 in pieces and no way to put it back together again. DW is closed down and everywhere is out of stock of stainless plunger tube parts. Sometimes I just need to leave things alone!:bawling::)

·
Registered
121 Posts
So here I was playing around with my PM-9. Putting on a Dawson magwell and some new VZ grips and I decided to take it apart a little further. Next thing I know I launch my plunger tube spring and detents across my garage into the abyss. After hours, I can't find them. So here I am with my PM-9 in pieces and no way to put it back together again. DW is closed down and everywhere is out of stock of stainless plunger tube parts. Sometimes I just need to leave things alone!:bawling::)

Best to have spare various pins and bits for just such an occasion

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=Plunger+spring+assembly&page=2

Wilson Combat ones are stainless and they have the spring too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have seen some people put a bend in the middle of the spring to keep that from happening. Honestly, I should try that. My PM-45 really launches the detents across the basement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have seen some people put a bend in the middle of the spring to keep that from happening. Honestly, I should try that. My PM-45 really launches the detents across the basement.

Yes, I also put a little kink in it, though depending on how you do it can make the spring feel a bit stronger, which might make the safety a bit harder to move...

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are married, just mention to your wife that you can't find it, and would appreciate some help if she has time. She will either laugh at you, or go through hell and high water to find it, to show you how much better she is. Mine would make it her lifes mission to have one up on me.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
It happens. :)

https://youtu.be/gSlQ--gSCt8?t=665

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crisis averted. I ordered the parts after I had made this thread. I ordered from Midway as well as MGW. The order from MGW arrived today and the pistol is back together. The parts from Midway still haven't even shipped. Don't think I will use Midway again. Now I have extra parts as well as more somewhere in my garage haha!

·
Administrator
72,395 Posts
That kink was actually included in the original 1911 design drawings. Unfortunately like so many aspects of its design a lot of manufacturers no longer follow the original protocols. That's also why grip screw bushings are no longer staked in with some brands and the ejector is sometimes glued in rather than pinned. And then when these parts inevitably come loose people complain about how problematic the 1911 design is. If companies would build these guns more like they did 100 years ago a lot of these problems wouldn't even happen.

BTW don't take this as a rant against DW quality. This was against modern 1911 manufacturers in general, because nearly all of them are guilty... even Colt nowadays.

·
Registered
782 Posts
DSK You are totally correct; anything to save a few pennies. SA glues their ejectors in on their RO pistols (and maybe other models) and then spends the money pin them, under warranty, when they come loose; who thought that was a good idea? And don't get me started on the plunger tube springs with no kinks in them or the Series 70 collet bushing or the plastic mainspring housing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This happened to me as well. I bought 5 sets since they are fairly cheap from EGW. I pretty much have extras of everything. I usually take the thumb safety out with the plunger tube facing my belly. When it shoots out it just hits my shirt and drops on the table in front of me. The one I launched into outer space was found in the laundry room on a different floor. I'm guessing it was on me the whole time and got washed with my clothes! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wife v Magnet

"If you are married, just mention to your wife that you can't find it, and would appreciate some help if she has time. She will either laugh at you, or go through hell and high water to find it, to show you how much better she is. Mine would make it her lifes mission to have one up on me."

The above is so true AZ1911, my wife has done exactly that.

I have a large speaker magnet that works for finding all sorts of dropped/lost parts, it is my go to before calling on she who must be obeyed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts