1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range last night and after my shooting friends, 44SpecialDave and Gary B, and I held our traditional Christmas dinner at a local pub. 44SpecialDave didn't shoot; he spent his time talking and looking at handguns.

I really didn't pay much attention to what Gary B. was shooting but he seemed to be enjoying himself. I had brought my custom Bulgie Mak for him to shoot and he was impressed. Gary B. has two Maks but he hasn't gotten around to shooting either.

Me, I shot the "Doorstop", this is a 4" Colt Police Positive revolver. It is a Columbian Police trade in and was in very rough shape before Frank Paris redid it. 44SpecialDave and I have always called it the doorstop because its matte finish makes it look like one of the cast iron objects used to keep the door open. I haven't shot the Doorstop in a long time and I had forgotten what a joy it is to shoot with wadcutters. This is the most accurate 4" revolver I have ever fired. It will place two rounds together consistently and with no effort. I am going to take it to Dick Williams for a double action trigger job.

The Bersa Thunder 45 was next up. I shot 50 rounds of 230gr American Eagle FMJ without an incident. Shooting from a modified Weaver stance, at 10 yards, its group was about the size of a large orange. I still have about 85 more rounds to go with the Bersa's reliability test. I hope to complete this testing within 7 days. I am going to take the pistol to Dick Williams for K-Koting and then the Bersa Thunder 45 will take its place as my car gun. I just can't see using a $1000 pistol, custom K40, for this purpose even if it is locked in the trunk.

Next up was my S&W M43 22LR pistol. Again all shooting was done at 10 yards and this revolver shot very well. From a modified Weaver stance all rounds went into a group similar to the Bersa. I now have a new set of older Herrett target grips on the M43 and they feel great in my hand. All of my shooting with the M43 was single action, as the revolver needs a double action trigger job.

An older man let me try a RED Dot scope that was mounted on his 9mm 1911A1. I shot this pistol well and like the red dot but I am not keen on its look on a handgun. I guess I just like the looks of fixed or adjustable sights on my handguns.

All told this was one of my better days shooting! Why? It was a pleasure to shoot what I aimed at, no bobbles, and nothing broke.

Regards,

Richard:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Doorstop!

I have to admit, I've always thought those old Colt revolvers were hideous. But I also have to admit (and I'm a S&W kind of guy, you understand) they worked well and long for a lot of cops.

In single action mode, they are legendary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts