1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at our local mall and noticed a heavy set guy leaning over a jewelry counter waiting as his wife looked at all the bobbles with their kid in the stroller. I thought I was seeing things when a fobus type holster with what appeared to be the muzzle end of a XD was sticking out from beneath this guys flannel shirt! I told the guy I made him and he thanked me. My wife overheard him tell his wife that I made him, guess he was glad I didn't freak out:) My main point to the thread is always be vigilant, observant and armed (wich I was). The second point is always wear the proper garments to cover your carry weapon. Ask loved ones if they notice your weapon while bending,sitting or reaching before you set out.I can't imagine what some tree hugging, flip flop wearing, star bucks drinking, phone texting, soccer parent would have done had they noticed!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My favorite past time is making guys and gals (women are harder, it's usually
in their purse).

I've never approached anyone and let them know. What's the point?

That trick of wearing a light windbreaker in 90+ weather, give me a
break. That's a dead give away. Nobody wears the 3 layer look
except in Hollywood or they are trying to hid something.

Why do you keep clicking one heel against the other for no reason?

How many times do you need to run your hands around your beltline
and adjust your pants?

Why keep reaching back and touching your right thigh?

I live in Texas, plenty of people packing, legal or not.
It's easy to make a CCW person.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
(snip)
Actually, I think it is an excellent exercise in awareness. The more you think about how you are seen by others, the more time you spend on minimizing your "tells". Never hurts.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My favorite past time is making guys and gals (women are harder, it's usually
in their purse).

I live in Texas, plenty of people packing, legal or not.

I think you must have x-ray vision. It's easy to make an educated guess, but to 100% know for sure on most people, that have dressed around the gun properly, I don't think its that easy.

I watched a cop friend of mine wearing a 5.11 vest, in a sporting goods store one day. Bending over, reaching up, your typical shopping activities. I know what he carried, and I know where it was. Even when I thought I might be able to see something under the vest, which required some imagination, I wouldn't have bet my life it was his glock.

I do it all the time with my shooting buddies that carry. Can I or any observant person tell for sure they are packin'. Nope. Even when I know they are.

At one time I worried about printing or being made, now I don't. If it's hot and I throw on a sig-tac vest, it's funny how nobody notices. I live in Texas too. Untucked shirts over a 1911 in a good holster, and I think you've got to be pretty observant to make any conclusions. Is the bulge in my right front pants pocket a thick wallet, old cell phone, or a 642? You can guess, but you don't know for sure. If you ask, I'll tell you it's my emergency insulin kit, even though I'm not a diabetic.

I think its easy to guess, but impossible to conclude, at least most of the time. JMO

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I just prefer to look out for bad guys. They're usually very easy to spot. See if you can figure out their tells from the pic below.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE]

The only reason I approached the guy was because in NY it's concealed carry only and this guys weapon was hanging out the bottom of his shirt when he leaned over. I didn't want anyone over reacting had they seen it I guess. I'd hope a fellow gun owner would do the same for me if I had a wardrobe malfunction.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I had a simular expirence today. I'm new to carry and was helping my cousin load her stuff into a moving van. I was doing all that bending, lifting and climbing it takes to load a truck while carring a 4" XD service model IWB under a hoody. I decided that I would give a dollar to the first person of the six to spot it, but no one ever said anything (a few of them probably would have freaked out if they would have seen it, even though they were on my property). I even asked one of them point blank afterward if I was carrying, they had no idea.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i dont know if i would approach someone about it. im glad it turned out good for you, but there are some people out there with real tempers. ive seen nicely dressed clean cut guys act like the biggest ass in public for silly reasons.

i guess its because i have been in law enforcemtnt for so long, but i am always sizing people up. i have seen people that i thought " they must be carrying" i didnt know for sure, but the actions and manners were classic.

since i got back into law enforcement last year, and started carrying fulltime, i find myself checking, but then i also check my wallet and knife on a regular basis too.

do any of you leo's ever wear your badge next to your holster? ( IWB or belt style concealments) i do sometimes, i wear untucked shirts, so the badge isnt going to show unless the gun does, i figure this might put someone at ease a little if by chance my shirt came up enough to see my belt line. i try to not let it show at all though..

i dont like those goofy ass conceal carry badges, to me a badge is a symbol of authority and dedication, not a symbol of a right.

just my thoughts....

russel
SDMF

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
i dont know if i would approach someone about it. im glad it turned out good for you, but there are some people out there with real tempers. ive seen nicely dressed clean cut guys act like the biggest ass in public for silly reasons.

i guess its because i have been in law enforcemtnt for so long, but i am always sizing people up. i have seen people that i thought " they must be carrying" i didnt know for sure, but the actions and manners were classic.

since i got back into law enforcement last year, and started carrying fulltime, i find myself checking, but then i also check my wallet and knife on a regular basis too.

do any of you leo's ever wear your badge next to your holster? ( IWB or belt style concealments) i do sometimes, i wear untucked shirts, so the badge isnt going to show unless the gun does, i figure this might put someone at ease a little if by chance my shirt came up enough to see my belt line. i try to not let it show at all though..

i dont like those goofy ass conceal carry badges, to me a badge is a symbol of authority and dedication, not a symbol of a right.

just my thoughts....

russel
SDMF
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll just keep wearing my CCW badge as a symbol of my authority and dedication to concealed carry, rather than to express my right to carry. Not to mention all the fringe benefits that I get when I wear it and show it off, err, I mean "accidentally" allow it to be visible to most people.

·
Registered
241 Posts
do any of you leo's ever wear your badge next to your holster?
I've been out of law enforcement for 10 years, but when I was active, I almost always wore my badge next to my holster when I was carrying off-duty. My thought was the same, that if someone ever spotted the gun, they'd see the badge and think "Oh, never mind, he's a cop".

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
... I'll just keep wearing my CCW badge as a symbol of my authority and dedication to concealed carry...

CCW Badge? I didn't know about that. Is that a local requirement?
Do you have to have a CCW Badge to carry CCW?

I've only had a CHL since Feb 07 and have only carried a few times.
I was never told about any badge?

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
CCW Badge? I didn't know about that. Is that a local requirement?
Do you have to have a CCW Badge to carry CCW?

I've only had a CHL since Feb 07 and have only carried a few times.
I was never told about any badge?
No need for a badge to CCW that I am aware of. That was just my smart ass response to russel and his disdain for "those goofy ass conceal carry badges."

(note to self - add Cleveland, Oklahoma to my list of places to avoid)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last guy that approched me and advised i was printing i looked at crosseyed and whispered " Thanks Dude !! The voices ususaly tell me about that " . He and sockermom seemed to have urgent shopping shortly thereafter .

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess you guys got it easy, when your a 22 year old black male carring a firearm concealed it doesnt look good. I'm licensed but if say a cop saw me printing I'd either get shot, or really embarrassed. Espeacialy in my neighborhood where the black folkz rup to no good.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
(note to self - add Cleveland, Oklahoma to my list of places to avoid)
well, its a pretty nice town actually,

oh well. i guess we cant hold any type of 1911 forum reunion there now... i done went and messed it all up..

i just dont like them, but its a free country.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
941 Posts
I guess you guys got it easy, when your a 22 year old black male carring a firearm concealed it doesnt look good. I'm licensed but if say a cop saw me printing I'd either get shot, or really embarrassed. Espeacialy in my neighborhood where the black folkz rup to no good.
Know what...You're absolutely right...Most of us do take our anonminity (sp)
for granted...Your situation must really suck...

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
well, its a pretty nice town actually,

oh well. i guess we cant hold any type of 1911 forum reunion there now... i done went and messed it all up..

i just dont like them, but its a free country.

russel
SDMF
I'm just messing around. There's few things in life funnier than discussions around here about CCW badges and the like.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'll just keep wearing my CCW badge as a symbol of my authority and dedication to concealed carry, rather than to express my right to carry. Not to mention all the fringe benefits that I get when I wear it and show it off, err, I mean "accidentally" allow it to be visible to most people.
Nice. You ever tackle any perps up in the Mall Food Court?

:biglaugh:

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Nice. You ever tackle any perps up in the Mall Food Court?

:biglaugh:

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews/2007/12/grocery_worker_fired_for_stopp.html

Employers in MI don't take too kindly to their employees touching the customers, let alone tackling them. Perps, afterall, are customers.

Besides, a simple flash of my CCW badge is all it takes to stop most perps right in their tracks. Plus, it gets me all the free lunches I can eat from the restaurants in the food court (just another fringe benefit of CCW).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts