1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of cocobolo Spegels and I really, really like them. BUT, having also bought a pair of navidrex grips, I couldn't lie to myself that I actually PREFER the slimness of the navidrex, but the look of the Spegels.

I decided to see what I can do with staining the navidrex grips. I really don't have much experience painting or staining, but the grips were only $30 and the stain was only $5 so I figured what the hell. Give it a shot.

I chose a "cabernet" wood stain from Varathane and lathered that on. One layer. Immediately I thought it looked good, but the next morning it looked even better. Even has a sheen which makes me wonder if I need to apply the semi-gloss poly I bought? Will the stain bleed into your hands or shirt without a sealant?

Anyways, I think they are the best hi power grips, and now I realize you can have any color you want for $35 :)

NOTE: The true color of these grips actually lies somewhere between the "purple" in the first pic and the "brick" in the second pic. fluorescent lights in my house and the daylighting kinda play tricks on the color with the camera, but they are a BEAUTIFUL cocobolo/cherry wood color.

Now I just need to find a buyer for these spegels... Never thought I'd say that.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
I'd seal them. I built a book shelf a few years back and liked how it looked wo the seal. Big mistake. First hot and humid day it bled into the carpet. It had months of curing time prior.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just bought a pair navidrex micarata grips and really like them. Are the wood ones about the same thickness?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a pair navidrex micarata grips and really like them. Are the wood ones about the same thickness?
The micarta and wood are the EXACT same size in every way, despite the wood ones being advertised as having a palm swell. Both have literally NO palm swell, which is what many people like about them, including myself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The micarta and wood are the EXACT same size in every way, despite the wood ones being advertised as having a palm swell. Both have literally NO palm swell, which is what many people like about them, including myself.
Looks like I'll be buying another pair of grips!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like this idea. It looks great. I'm interested to see the effects of carry and the longevity of the stain especially if no sealant is applied.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd seal them. I built a book shelf a few years back and liked how it looked wo the seal. Big mistake. First hot and humid day it bled into the carpet. It had months of curing time prior.
Yep, seal them AFTER a week or so of curing time. My rule of thumb is when you can no longer smell the stain it's cured. Putting them outside in the sun when it's warm will help speed curing time.

They look good !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts