1911Forum banner

I think that most of the forum members know.

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  Dwight55 
#1 · (Edited)
What anniversary comes up tommorow. If you do not then you should. I would like to know if anyone is planning on doing anything in honor of this event, formal or otherwise? I am thinking of riding one of the horses into town tommorow with my 1911 strapped. I may also do a 21 gun salute at sunset if I can get the neighbors to help. That should not be too much of a problem.

What are your plans? :(

#10 ·
Displaying a lit candle is more than millions will do. Not being American means nothing. A kind heart is universal. The service men and women of Pearl Harbor died for freedom of tyranny, for us all.

My 12 years old will watch documentary videos of December 7th. He will be taught and he will teach his son. We will cut a small cake.

#3 ·
If anyone in central Texas is near enough to drive to Fredricksburg, TX they should check out the Nimitz museum there.

http://www.nimitz-museum.org/

I did a photo assignment for American Profile mag (kind of a national Parade magazine type insert that features in more rural papers) several years ago to accompany an article. It was a very cool place, and very touching. They have one of, if not the only the mini-sub that was captured at during the invasion of Pearl Harbor. These were mounted on regular subs until they got to the release point, then were to slip in an cause trouble.

I think if I didn't have some family things going on tomorrow I would just go there. As it is I will have take some time to reflect and an honor not only those where were there, but what it meant then, and means today.

#4 ·
I've been to the Arizona Memorial, it was very emotional. I am glad I went and I think everyone should see it once, but it's a hard place to leave and harder to think about visiting again.

#6 · (Edited)
Ironic, but when I lived in Hawaii in the '90s and went to the memorial, the Japanese tourists were swarming it like flies while trying to get pictures. Some were very rude and many were shoving me so luckily being the giant American in the crowd (I'm only 5' 11", 180lbs) I was happy to return the favor.

Nothing against the Japanese, I've had them as friends and business associates
but the rude pushy cultural difference may work in Japan but not here (for me), especially at the memorial.

#11 ·
If we had remembered the lesson we learned in 1941 Sept 11 wound not have happened.

A comment was made in 1941 "we have awakened a sleeping giant" this time it didn't take all that long to forget about Sept 11 and the lessons that it should have taught us.

#15 ·
Hi all.
I looked on the internet and couldn't find the words to the old WWII song
" Bless 'em all " computers are not my thing. I did find the guys name that sang it then, George Formby English bloke ??? Bless 'em all, the long, short & the tall??? How soon we forget.
Semper Fi all. Hank D.

#16 ·
I think that is one of the versions, I have heard, the other version uses "F" instead of bless. I am pretty sure what the correct version is the clean one but I think the one with the "F" word may have been used by by the soldier referring to the female acquaintances them met over seas.

Bless 'em all, bless 'em all
The long and the short and the tall
Bless all the sergeants and W.O. Ones
Bless all the corp'rals and their blinking sons
For we're saying good-bye to them all
As back to their billets they crawl
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean
So cheer up my lads Bless 'em all,

===========================

THEY SAY THERE'S AN AIRSHIP
JUST LEAVING NEW YORK
BOUND FOR THE PERSIAN GULF
HEAVENLY LADEN, WITH SOLDIERS GALORE
FLYING THE FLAG THEY ADORE
THERE'S MANY A GAL
AND HER NAME COULD BE SAL
SHINING UP BUTTONS SO BRIGHT
YOU'LL GET NO PROMOTION
THIS SIDE OF THE OCEAN
SO CHEER UP MY FRIENDS
BLESS EM ALL

Talk ALL TOGETHER NOW with male and female singers
(chorus)

BLESS EM BLESS EM ALL
THE LONG AND THE
SHORT AND THE TALL
BLESS ALL THE SERGEANTS
THE SOUR PUSSED ONES
BLESS ALL THE CORPORALS
AND THE GALS WITH THE BUNS
AND WERE SAYING
GOOD BYE TO THEM ALL
AS UP TO THE CASTLE WE CRAWL
THERE’S SAND IN MY EYEBALLS
BUT THE ARMY HAS CUTE DOLLS
SO CHEER UP MY FRIENDS BLESS EM ALL

THEY SAY THAT IN IRAQ ( or Baghdad) YOU'LL HAVE A GREAT TIME WE'VE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE
FIVE IN THE MORNING
WE FALL OFF OUR BUNKS
TO SCRUB OUT THE CASTLE ROOM FLOOR
A PRIVATE HAS REALLY NO PRIVACY NOW
WE'RE ALL BEHIND THE EIGHT BALL
WE'RE STUCK HERE IN BAGHDAD THE HUMMERS A BUMMER
SO CHEER UP MY FRIENDS BLESS THEM ALL

(CHORUS REPEAT FROM ABOVE)

BLESS ALL THE BLONDIES
AND ALL THE BRUNETTES
AN AIRMAN IS HAPPY
WHATEVER EVER HE GETS
SO WE'RE GIVING THE EYE TO THEM ALL
BLESS THE MARINES ON THE CRAWL
IF IT'S MARGIE OR MILLIE
OR EVEN BIG WILLIE
(slow down)
WHEN YOU'RE IN CAMP
BLESS EM ALL

(Chorus repeat): English accent ALL TOGETHER

Thank you,
Norm Pringle

==============================

http://www.fredgodfreysongs.ca/Songs/Bless_em_all.htm

===================================

#17 ·
Psshooter I had the same experience with the japanese tourists. Angry doesn't quite describe it.

#19 · (Edited)
I too have been to Pearl, was in the Navy at the time. I walked through the memorial there, . . . and found a cousin's name on the list of those who died on the Arizona.

It probably was good that there were no foreign tourists on that day, . . . it was in early '64, . . . I was only 20, . . . and at the time, very much less forgiving.

Sunday, our veteran's association had a short memorial service off our Veteran's Memorial bridge. I was tasked to help drop the wreath, . . . wore my dress blues with my late uncle, TM3 Ardis E. Webb's flat hat. All in all, it was a rather emotional moment for me, . . . as I had never been allowed to officially wear the flat hat he gave me as part of my uniform before. I think he would have approved, though.

May God bless,
Dwight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.