1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just KNEW which 1911 I was going to get the Dan Wesson Patriot Expert! Until...........Sig came out with the 1911 Granite Series! Gee! Just when I thought I was sure. I has other Sigs and I do like them I must check this one out before finalizing my decision.

Sig is a reliable firearm but Dan Wesson has the edge by "proofing" each Patriot. Has anyone had the opportunity to actually check out a Sig 1911? If so what is your opinion of it?

I'm still pretty hung up on the Patriot but just like a kid in the candy store I have that irresistable urge to check the Sig otherwise I know I'll always feels as if I missed out on something. It appears all Dan Wesson customers are completely satisfied with their Patriots this is a BIG PLUS when I consider a purchase. I'm equally impressed with the Dan Wesson Column and the input from Mr. Serva! This is a unique feature! I also hear that Dan Wesson Customer Service is GREAT --- this is always a concern when I make a purchase. Sig is pretty good too.

Oh the torment and torture of decision making! Unfortunately I can't purchase both at the same time! Uggghhhh!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The big difference in the 2 is going to be weight.. The GSR will weigh a bit more with the rail. I havn't seen range reports on the GSR yet, but It looks like oyu cant go wrong with either, and you can always save up for the other later..

Good luck on the Decision

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
RR, do you really WANT a 1911 with a light attachment rail? No holsters for 'em, hardly, and there's always the issue about obligatorily pointing the gun muzzle at anything you wish to illuminate.

I'll bet Sig will come out with a "regular" version in the not-too-distant future.
Meanwhile, you can get the DW!

·
Registered
836 Posts
SAWBONES RR, do you really WANT a 1911 with a light attachment rail? No holsters for 'em, hardly, and there's always the issue about obligatorily pointing the gun muzzle at anything you wish to illuminate.
I never quite understood this issue, several others have stated this. In a home defense situation would the alternative be to hold the flashlight as you look around with pistol pointed at the ground? I was taught the Harries techniquge for low light defensive shooting where arms are crossed and the backs of the hands are pressing against eachother with, again, the flashlight and pistol pointing at the same thing (the potential threat). It also implies that the weaponlight is our only flashlight. I guess one should continue with the good practice of carrying a flashlight with our without a railed gun to cover all bases.

On a seperate note, the rails are here to stay for good reason. In five years or so, it will likely be difficult to get any new pistol model without them. Obviously, the 1911 itself is not new but he SIG GSR is. With the Marines DET 1 and the soon to be announced MEU (SOC) pistol also indicate, the rails will be used for military 1911 applications as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I forgot about the Picatinny rail on the Sig! More than likely Sig may offer the 1911 with or without it in the near future. The light rail with me is a moot issue I've been trained to use a light with a firearm this is the least of my worries.

The Patriot is compeling because of the "proofing" then again I've never encountered a Sig that didn't perform well. I'd like to compare both before deciding.

It appears the Patriot is more favored at this point sight unseen. The Range owner is a Dealer of both Sig and Dan Wesson in this sense I'm ahead of the game because he locate a firearm that I can test before deciding.

I either firearm would be a good choice. Knowing Sig the price will be a higher than the Dan Wesson. I read the Sig list price with the rail is approximately $870.00 but will fluctuate to $1087.00 because they're not as plentiful. This was according to an article that I have read.

In New York City I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because my carry license has8 slots. I have two more slots available. I'm going to inquire if 8 is the limit or anything above 8 will "cost" more to add.

The other issue is I can purchase 1 handgun every 3 months. This actually works out to a longer period. The process is :

1) Obtaining the form to Request the Purchase.

2) Mailing the request back to N.Y.P.D. or walking (shaves a few days off the waiting time knowing how "slow" the Post Office is) it in and the waiting for the response 4 - 6 weeks.

3) After "permission" is granted I have 10 days to complete the purchase or the purchase order becomes void - if this happens I have to re-apply!

4) After the purchase I have 48 hours to "physically" take the firearm to N.Y.P.D. for inspection. The firearm must be transported unloaded in a locked box and if it's been purchased as "new" be unfired.

If I lived outside of the city the CCW differs greatly! There aren't any limits to how "many" firearms I can purchase and the time frame is virtually non-existant. If we re-locate within New York State I'll definitely keep my City License but it'll be a blessing to have far less restrictions. This is one of the Cities that you love to hate and vice versa! The Politics are outrageous!

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you intend to carry this new pistol, I'd recomend against the sig with rail.. it is a bit heavy.. I built a 10mm on the rail reciever and use the rail to attach a Glock scope mount with red dot.. just a fun gun..

Wow that is a long proccess.. for once I'm glad to live in MD.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aronj

I'm not even considering a Picatinny Rail on my 1911. It wouldn't be of any value to me at this stage.

Thank you for the hint.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just received my Patriot. I ordered it without ever having seen or held one in person. I still can't get over how beautiful this gun is. Gorgeous blueing, tight fit, unbelievable trigger, everything. I don't have anything to say about the Sig, but my Patriot is amazing to look at.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
McNutt

There are some "cruel" people in the world! Especially those that have theirs.:(

I'm just kidding!:D :cool:

I'm 99.9% sure the Patriot Expert in Stainless is THE one for me! I just can't wait! ;) :cool:

Curious how much did yours run?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine cost $659 at Sportingarms.com. I believe they still have some left. I plan on doing a first impressions thread on the DW page as soon as I can get a few pictures taken. I haven't shot the gun yet and won't get to shoot it until this weekend, but when I do I'll post some thoughts on that too. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert, so my opinion will be of the average Joe variety, not from a 1911 gunsmith. But my first impression was extremely positive. It appears to be an incredible gun.

BTW - Like you I was torn between a Patriot and another gun, mine being a Springfield Armory Loaded Operator. That gun had the advantage of being available locally so that I could check it out. The deciding factor was really Mr. Serva. That post in which he gave out his personal cell phone number to someone needing assistance blew me away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts