1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It has been a while since I have logged in, but when I have free time at work. I do take look around. To read what's happening and take in the wealth of knowledge that you all have.

I do apologize in advance, but it has been a long time since I have added photos in. So the attachments were my best option.

While I was out today looking around at my local gun store. And I happened to come across a Special Forces Carry Lightweight in 9mm. That I just couldn't leave behind. This was the first time that I had seen a carry model in 9mm in person. And I was even more shocked that is had an aluminum frame. As soon as I picked it up. I knew that I had to leave with it.

With the thin grip on it. It feels great in hand and I also love the U notch rear sight. I'm more than likely going to add it to my current carry gun(Kobra Carry). Now the trick is going to be getting the time to shoot it.

And question to those out there that might know. How many Lightweight 9mm carry models did they make? I don't recall seeing or hearing about to many of them.

Thanks all,
Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol, very nice!
I do not know how many LW 9's are out there but any Brown 9mm is a rare sight thus far. I have a stainless full size 9 that peaks interest when shooters around me figure it out. And of course I always let them shoot it.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
You have a less than common configuration to be sure.

Brown is generally rather open to building some of these 'off list' guns.

Brown as of yet has not either added a 9mm alloy framed model to the cataloged lineup or as a limited run offering.

Also of note is that Chainlink III is not standard on the alloy framed carry models, custom order option only.

Both of these facts along with the color combo makes this one a sweet find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations on your new pistol, very nice!
I do not know how many LW 9's are out there but any Brown 9mm is a rare sight thus far. I have a stainless full size 9 that peaks interest when shooters around me figure it out. And of course I always let them shoot it.
Thank you very much. So far, i really like it. I just need to go shoot it.

You made a wise choice also. In getting that full size 9mm. I was tossing around the idea of ordering one. if they ever did a run again. But by chance I found this one first.

So far there hasn't been a Brown I didn't like. It also nice to hear that others share their firearms. I like to going shooting and letting others shoot something they haven't before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, I can see why you couldn't walk away without it. That would be an ideal carry piece.
Yeah it was one of those once in a lifetime moments for me. Since I had never seen one in person before. Not sure if I'm going to start carrying it yet or not, but the thought has crossed my mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a less than common configuration to be sure.

Brown is generally rather open to building some of these 'off list' guns.

Brown as of yet has not either added a 9mm alloy framed model to the cataloged lineup or as a limited run offering.

Also of note is that Chainlink III is not standard on the alloy framed carry models, custom order option only.

Both of these facts along with the color combo makes this one a sweet find.
Thank you for the reply sir. I was hoping that you would chime in. Your posts always make for a great read and some wonderful insight.

I go into my local store from time to time and they know I love my 1911s. So when i asked them about one in 9mm. I think they knew I was leaving with this one. They said they had just got it in and it wasn't even in their display yet.

I love the set up on this with pistol. Feel great and looks great. The only thing i have noticed. The finished on the frame rails is coming off very fast. Since I plan on shooting it. I'm not worried. Just not sure if its that finish on the alloy frame or just the finish in general. Since it was brand new. I would think it was just fired before being shipped.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
It's brand new and the finish is flaking? It won't get better, but spread. I'm guessing it was a light spray and bake. If it were me, and I had that much money in it, I'd be calling Justin at Brown tomorrow. If it is over a stainless steel gun, I'd ask for one of their beautiful glass bead blast finishes, which have lasted me for almost 15 years and still look great. I'm not a fan of topical finishes on any gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wonderful color combination. Enjoy it.
Thank you very much, I was thinking of getting the same color combo on my current carry gun once the finish is mostly worn off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's brand new and the finish is flaking? It won't get better, but spread. I'm guessing it was a light spray and bake. If it were me, and I had that much money in it, I'd be calling Justin at Brown tomorrow. If it is over a stainless steel gun, I'd ask for one of their beautiful glass bead blast finishes, which have lasted me for almost 15 years and still look great. I'm not a fan of topical finishes on any gun.
Their glass bead finish does look great. I have a Kobra Carry that has a bead blasted frame.

I attached some photos. To show what time talking about. Any finish will wear, but since the pistol hasn't been really shot yet. That is all that worried me.

I also included a picture of the steel insert for the feed ramp. It looks flawless. Ed Brown does great work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Their glass bead finish does look great. I have a Kobra Carry that has a bead blasted frame.

I attached some photos. To show what time talking about. Any finish will wear, but since the pistol hasn't been really shot yet. That is all that worried me.

I also included a picture of the steel insert for the feed ramp. It looks flawless. Ed Brown does great work.
I think that your rail wear is from the 200 rounds Brown puts through as a test.

To respond to this thread, I just field stripped my Light Weight Wilson Pro to see how my factory refinish worked on the alloy frame after about 1,500 rounds. All the Armor Tuff finish is off the plunger tube side rail. This finish is off both the top and the side for most of the length of this rail.

Mine is a refinish of the original anodized aluminum.

My one off experience and what little research I have done is that aluminum is a little harder to refinish than steel. On the other hand, the wear on both of our guns is concentrated where you can't see it, and the alloy frame is light and perfect for a 9mm.

Everything to do with 1911 finishes is a compromise. None is perfect. Bead blasted stainless steel comes pretty close though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wouldn't give a second thought to the finish wearing off on the rails and at other points of contact on the frame and slide. My only Brown is a stainless Kobra Carry, but my Kimber Ultra CDP II has a black coated alloy frame. The visible finish on it is flawless, but the finish is worn away on the rails. I think it's entirely normal.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
While it's hard to see in the small photos 54, what I see is a beginning of a non-stop disintegration of your finish, simply a little bit at a time. And if it is like this while brand new think how it will look in a year. I'm not putting down Brown, I love mine, but I do not like the finish they chose. Obviously a painted finish, which will never last over time, and virtually every one I've seen like that from every manufacturer did the same thing. Up to you, but I would contact them. If they give you a warranty in writing, you're cool. If not there are other options, like Robar's Np3 that does offer a lifetime guarantee. Or as I said before, if it's a stainless coated gun simply have it bead blasted when the finish gets beyond what you are willing to accept. Meanwhile I'd hold them responsible for the finish they sold you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thank you very much. So far, i really like it. I just need to go shoot it.

You made a wise choice also. In getting that full size 9mm. I was tossing around the idea of ordering one. if they ever did a run again. But by chance I found this one first.

So far there hasn't been a Brown I didn't like. It also nice to hear that others share their firearms. I like to going shooting and letting others shoot something they haven't before.
Agreed. Most of the time the guys reciprocate by letting me shoot theirs as well. Fun stuff.
As for my Brown 9mm, it favors 124g ammo. Never a malfunction with 115g but it did kick some brass to my face; maybe 8 times out of 200 rounds IIRC. Justin confirmed that it was meant to be run with 124g. He was actually surprised it ran well with 115g ammo without feeding issues. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hello all,

It has been a while since I have logged in, but when I have free time at work. I do take look around. To read what's happening and take in the wealth of knowledge that you all have.

I do apologize in advance, but it has been a long time since I have added photos in. So the attachments were my best option.

While I was out today looking around at my local gun store. And I happened to come across a Special Forces Carry Lightweight in 9mm. That I just couldn't leave behind. This was the first time that I had seen a carry model in 9mm in person. And I was even more shocked that is had an aluminum frame. As soon as I picked it up. I knew that I had to leave with it.

With the thin grip on it. It feels great in hand and I also love the U notch rear sight. I'm more than likely going to add it to my current carry gun(Kobra Carry). Now the trick is going to be getting the time to shoot it.

And question to those out there that might know. How many Lightweight 9mm carry models did they make? I don't recall seeing or hearing about to many of them.

Thanks all,
Drew
congrats--great toy. we bought an ed brown exec elit e in 9mm--it is THE BEST 9mm we own--hands down

per your ? EB tends to do special runs of guns in 9mm--this years it is a commander style-- so you were very fortunate to find the one you did--there is a limited supply of them for sure

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Agreed. Most of the time the guys reciprocate by letting me shoot theirs as well. Fun stuff.
As for my Brown 9mm, it favors 124g ammo. Never a malfunction with 115g but it did kick some brass to my face; maybe 8 times out of 200 rounds IIRC. Justin confirmed that it was meant to be run with 124g. He was actually surprised it ran well with 115g ammo without feeding issues. Just an FYI.
not sur e why but quite a few of my 9mms needed 124 gr during the break in to function properly later-- ed brown 9mm, dan w esson guardian, H+K p30s,some czs......good guns, tightly built--maybe that and the tight springs require heavier loads?

·
Registered
406 Posts
not sur e why but quite a few of my 9mms needed 124 gr during the break in to function properly later-- ed brown 9mm, dan w esson guardian, H+K p30s,some czs......good guns, tightly built--maybe that and the tight springs require heavier loads?
That's a good point. I still have some 115g in the safe perhaps I'll bring a few boxes next time out with it and see how it's behaving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts