1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 99% seems to be unfired blued Detective Special with the rubber grips. All original paperwork, plastic box and cardboard outer box. The manual says copyright 1993 so I figure mine is probably around the end of the era manufacture. The thing locks up tighter than Fort Knox and the blueing is beautiful. The only wear is a line on the cylinder from people dragging it while closing the cylinder. I have yet to decide if I will live with it or send the cylinder back to Colt to be reblued.

The best part? Traded heads up for my Glock 26 (lightly used ~ 500 rounds through it) It was my "truck" gun. I can't bring myself to carry such a pretty Detective Special in my car or truck, though. In the meantime I'm borrowing my friend's .40 short&weak poly framed Taurus. I always have my Kel-tec .380, but I liked the assurance of the bigger caliber and more shots of the Glock in the car. I think I'll buy a Taurus PT-945 or PT-92 as my truck gun. Can't bring myself to do that to any of my Colts.

I'm at school now, and I'll post pics of the Det. Special when I get to work later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Recently a distributor found around 200 Colt Detective Specials in their warehouse, that had lain forgotten for at least 8-10 years.

Those guns were quickly sold out, but my dealer got two of them.

I was tempted until I saw the price the dealer was asking: $600. They sold one, but the other is still languishing on their shelf.

Yeah, it's a neat find, but I can get a 60's vintage DS unfired for less than that...heck, those were Gunsamerica prices to boot.

Sounds like you got a good deal on yours, though! The one I handled was packaged identically to yours, btw.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
JoeT

Very nice! :D

I suggest that you not worry about the line on the cylinder. The line is from the cylinder turning the stop dragging on it slightly as you noted. All revolvers get this line, even your Python has it. Just get a few boxes of ammo and go shoot that little jewel.

I also I recommend using Remoil to lube the internal lockworks and ejector rod before your range session. The combination of the Remoil and then shooting seems to give a fine distirbution to the teflon then displaces the carrier solvent. After a short while your Detective Special will operate almost as smoothly as a well tuned Python.

Enjoy
Str8_Shot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts