1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all are carrying... I mean, I don't want to sound like I'm going off the deep end or sounding like some nutty crack-pot, tinfoil hat, type of whacko. BUT -- I just hope everyone on this board is a member of some type of 2nd Amendment organization (NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, etc...)

A lady school bus driver friend of mine wanted to come over to my house with her granddaughter, as she was scared out of her mind! It turns out that somebody in her neighborhood kind of, well... you know... "wigged out"... and grabbed a firearm and started shooting at anything and everything along the neighborhood street from an inside window!! :eek:
Oh yeah.. It was on the news... Local cops were all over the place, totally "shutdown" the neighborhood, nobody at all could go anywhere, as they barricaded all the side streets. They called in a SWAT team to defuse the situation with the crazed gunman inside the home.

What I am getting at is, always ALWAYS be on the alert, because you just never know when someone is going to "snap" and you yourself might end up in the obituaries!

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Yep, situational awareness is critical these days. We are in a period of chaos and lawlessness, and it ain't gonna get better soon. 1911 on the hip, P365 in a DeSantis pocket holster, spare mag for each in the weak side front pants pocket. But prevention always beats cure, so head on a swivel for sure.

Tucker Carlson last night. Other than not mentioning that BLAntifa false-flaggers initiated the takeover of the Capitol, very good show.

Reactions: ButchA

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Point well taken. I always carry when I can and where I can.

My head is on a swivel at all times, never engrossed in my cell phone like so many people nowadays are.

Stay safe and carry on all.
+1911.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
It is imperative that the moderator here understand that it is impossible to discuss the 2nd Amendment without discussing politics. The Constitution is a political document, as is the 2nd. It does not exist in a vacuum. What has been happening in the streets is what will determine the future of the 2nd Amendment more than what happens in the courts. We have witnessed for decades now the unwillingness of the SCOTUS to address this issue, while politicians and the MSM consistently use fiat declarations and legislation and propaganda to assault our rights. I would venture that most people against the Second, voted for Biden, and most for it, voted for Trump. It would be nice if all we had to talk about is this make of 1911 vs that one. But if you want to discuss the 2nd, you have to open the door to the full range of feelings and ideas.

·
Registered
629 Posts
BUT -- I just hope everyone on this board is a member of some type of 2nd Amendment organization (NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, etc...)
Even excluding Biden voting gun owners, most of what are left would rather make a few hundred excuses to justify not parting with $20 or more a year than pull their weight. The bottom line is that, with respect to the support you mention, most gun owners are cheap SOBs who will spend more at Starbucks or McDonald's in a one or two month period than it would cost them to get on board with a decent 2A organization.

I find it very unlikely that the membership of this forum is significantly different than the country as a whole. If all a person has to do is state* that they are pro 2nd a super majority is easy to get. Asking that same group to kick in to the kitty and the number drops precipitously. Asking those who do kick into the kitty to donate time at gun shows and actually contact representatives and there is another such drop.
That is not taking a shot at you Butch. You are correct in desiring for gun owners to pull their weight.

*If every Facebook 2nd amendment warrior actually did pull their weight it would cause all but the most fanatic anti 2nd politicians to cool their jets. But it is so much easier to LIKE a post than to actually sacrifice a whopping $20 a year. The motto of most gun owners might as well be There is no I in ME ME ME.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
It is imperative that the moderator here understand that it is impossible to discuss the 2nd Amendment without discussing politics.
No offense, but we need you guys to try. We're almost ready to lock this entire sub-forum and be done with it. I don't want to see that happen because members need to be informed about pending gun control legislation or other news that directly affects our gun rights.

·
Banned
717 Posts
No offense, but we need you guys to try. We're almost ready to lock this entire sub-forum and be done with it. I don't want to see that happen because members need to be informed about pending gun control legislation or other news that directly affects our gun rights.
I'm going to support dsk on this one.
I used to ride a BMW Motorcycle with a forum for bikes called I-BMW.
Great forum.
One day, without ANY explanation - it totally vanished.

I don't know why.
But it did.

If we attract enough of the wrong attention,
things can happen.
So we must deferred to the Mod's wisdom.
They are going to know more than us.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@dsk and all other mods...

I understand and agree, however @johnireland made one heck of a good point. The 2A and political discussions almost go hand-in-hand. As long as everyone is civil, keeps the anger level at "1"... well, maybe "1½" lately ;) we can all have a normal discussion without any hostility and threads getting locked.

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
@dsk and all other mods...

I understand and agree, however @johnireland made one heck of a good point. The 2A and political discussions almost go hand-in-hand. As long as everyone is civil, keeps the anger level at "1"... well, maybe "1½" lately ;) we can all have a normal discussion without any hostility and threads getting locked.
In a perfect world, sure. But we have had to close/delete more threads in the past month than we probably did in the past year. Unfortunately folks can't remain civil. And it's not just one or two problem members either.

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
Forum friends, let's help our moderators with the framework we're and/or they're in.

Over the past decade, their decisions have contributed to this Forum flourishing while the "other" 1911 Forum, while active 10 years ago, has now ground to a stop, with no more active participants. IOW, our moderators have performed at an exemplary level...and all without pay.

I carefully read dsk's "Final Warning" thread/post, and with that I have a better understanding of certain thread closures (including one of mine) and deletions.

Our moderators are not paid; they're here to help and volunteer their own time.

So least until things settle down, let's help them out by reading dsk's posts and following the prescribed rules, principles, etc., very, very closely. If it's not clearly within the rules, principles, etc., let's not post it.

I'm not perfect, not close to it, but I'll try in any/all if my participations in this sub-forum (and others).

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sad.... I have a very good friend of mine (a buddy who also drives a school bus), and honestly... the two of us are complete polar opposites. We maintain a friendship, but we both agree that we DO NOT discuss politics. He knows who I am, what I stand for, what I support, etc... and he jokes "we'll cancel each other out at the voting booth".
Okay, fine... whatever, dude.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@chrysanthemum -- just made an excellent point! We can remain civil and not go all crazy bashing one another, causing the Mods to work overtime. As long as we do what we can to keep the 2A intact, all is well in the world. I mean, a Holstein Cow could be POTUS, and I wouldn't care... Just as long as the 2A and the rights of firearm owners are not infringed upon.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Gun related.

Keep your guns running, tune up, stock up! That's the message.
Keep watching and listening, things are very fluid at the moment.

But for clarity, no politics allowed, but there's a "COVID-19" sub forum on a gun-only site?

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Gun related.

Keep your guns running, tune up, stock up! That's the message.
Keep watching and listening, things are very fluid at the moment.

But for clarity, no politics allowed, but there's a "COVID-19" sub forum on a gun-only site?
Yeah I agree with you and we are addressing it with a poll! If you read all my comments in that thread you will se why we are having problems with members attitudes.
I agree with DSK. We need this sub forum and it doesn’t need to be political!

Reactions: chrysanthemum

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
By accident or by intent, there has been more than 8 million+ (And growing) NEW gun owners in the last year. Anecdotally, some if not many of them do not share the same politics as many of us.
Willingly or not , I don’t think they will be lining up in support of too many anti 2A policies Or anti commerce tactics.
I’m sure every time they go to shoot, buy ammunition or another firearm their eyes are being opened more to how their rights are being infringed upon.
There may be a glimmer or two of hope in this going forward.

·
Registered
629 Posts
By accident or by intent, there has been more than 8 million+ (And growing) NEW gun owners in the last year. Anecdotally, some if not many of them do not share the same politics as many of us.
Willingly or not , I don’t think they will be lining up in support of too many anti 2A policies Or anti commerce tactics.
I’m sure every time they go to shoot, buy ammunition or another firearm their eyes are being opened more to how their rights are being infringed upon.
There may be a glimmer or two of hope in this going forward.
Any of them, with very few exceptions, that marked (D) in November will continue to do so, ne gun or not. Brandon Straka's Walk Away Campaign has likely already pulled 95% + of Dems who were open to reconsideration from them. Good luck on changing any (D)s, and I mean that, I am done even dealing with them outside of a work context.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Actually the Guns for me but not for thee attitude is well exemplified by DiFi who owned a J frame that she ceremonially turned in, and probably got back later, at a press conference when she was Mayor of SF and attempted to outlaw possession of handguns in SF circa 1982.
Bill Lockyer as a state representative, and later as AG for the state of CA, used his political leverage to get granted the ONLY non cop non judge carry permit in Alameda County.
And Arnold Schwarzenegger very likely still has the Uzi that Evan Whildin gave him when The Terminator was in theaters.
That mindset is not limited to those with political power. There are plenty of Democrats who vote for Joe and others of that ilk with no thought at all that gun laws will apply to them.

·
2,942 Posts
Any of them, with very few exceptions, that marked (D) in November will continue to do so, ne gun or not. Brandon Straka's Walk Away Campaign has likely already pulled 95% + of Dems who were open to reconsideration from them. Good luck on changing any (D)s, and I mean that, I am done even dealing with them outside of a work context.
There is a futility in it but I have seen many people open their minds and even switch sides. I think continued recruitment will work better than circling the wagons and writing everyone else off.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.