1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so any help. I heard that some manufactures will put out a better ak than others so which one should i get? also how good are the sights for the ak should i look into getting a red dot for it? how much is the ammo for an ak and what does it mean when it says something like 7.62by39?(I dont't know if that is what claibure an ak is but i am just using that as an example). Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

Mclovin

G

·
Okay I will dive in. I would begin by waiting. Prices are dropping like a brick. I have a Romanian that shoots fine. 7.62 is 30 caliber and 39mm is the cartridge length. 308 is 7.62 x 51 mm. Tactical red dot or a 1.5-5X20 scope is more than adequate for an AK. They usually shoot within 2+ inches at 100 yards. Ammo is close to 10 for 20 rounds. Higher powered scopes IMHO are a waste of money on an AK. They are designed as battle rifles that shoot in the worst conditions when others fail. An AR will out shoot but an AK is by far more reliable.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I don't know much about them at all, but when I was thing about it I discovered that the Yugos, and Romanians make good guns. I did see a nice Yugo at a gun show a while back but didn't have the money, now I am glad I didn't get it because the prices have come down. I think I heard the Russians early ones were good when before they started stamping them out instead on machining them. If it were me I would do some research to find which Countries made the best ones than go from they.

Like I said before I don't know much about them but I am pretty sure some countries make better ones than others so maybe a good starting point is to figure out what country or countries make the best ones then go from there

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
Stay away from the Maadis. Pretty much anything made in Eastern Europe or the former USSR is good to go... except I would avoid the WASRs that were manufactured with 10-round mags and later converted to use 30-rounders.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you are as green as you appear to be.

And I am not knocking you everyone has to start somwhere.
If you look around in a bookstore you will most likely find a book or three on AK type rifles. I would suggest that you read up on them a little before you make your choice.

My two cents. :rock:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
for 7.62x39 look for one built on Yugo parts, or Hungarian (AMD-65). If you like 5.45 instead of 7.62 the Polish parts kits (Tantal) are about the best. Romanian parts are regarded as bottom of the heap, but can make good shooters anyway. Try J&G sales or Centerfire Systems, they usually have a good selection.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi all.
I had an AK 47 when I still lived In New Jersey just before Jim Florieo? and his band of bums came Into office, and starter that very nice assult weapons
and 10 round magazine ban. I think we got 90 days to get rid of It or we would become a 2-3 class fellon???
That ban was so baddly written, that If you had a magazine that held more then 10 rounds and no weapon to put It Into you were still braking the law.
Part of that law? was for the magazine alone. My brother once sent me a clipping from the news paper,
( The Newark Star Leger ) were some over zealous cop locked a guy up for having a shotgun bandoleer with 12-13 shell in It under the magazine law, I had the artical, this was no joke. I don't know what ever happened with
that case???
I sold that AK for about 1/2 of what I paid for It to a shark In Yonkers New York, at he the Yonkers Racetrack gunshow.
When we finaly mover, or voted with our feet to PA. one of the first things I got at our frendly gun shop was an AK74? I think It's called, It fires the 223 round and not the 7.62-39. with the fold under metal stock, just like the one I had to sell In N.J. and I still have it, In a gun case tucked away, and I never fired it, I just had to have It, If you know what I mean!
I know nothing else about the AK47/74? way after my time.
Semper Fi all. Hank D.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Stay away from kit builds or any AKs made in the US is a general rule. Few exceptions (Krebs,Arsenal ect.) but their prices are stupid. Hungarian & China made are probably my favorites but Yugos. and some others are good too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If price were no object and you could find a milled receiver Poly Tech Legend you would have an awesome AK 47. They were built in China and are considered by many to be the best of the best. You see them from time to time on Gunbroker selling in the neighborhood of $2000.00. I know if I were in the market for an AK 47 thats what I would buy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ok so let me school you as to the difference:

Ak47: Original assault rifle of Russia adopted in 1947, shoots a 7.62X39 (.30 caliber) round, lots of drop over distance, generally regarded as not too accurate over 100yards but hits like a brick s#^$-house.

Ak74: Initially adopted to replace the Ak47 in 1974, it never really happened, mostly used for specops due to the Russians making literally millions of Ak47's. Shoots a 5.45X39 round (.221 caliber) very accurate, very cheap ammo, limited knockdown power over 150 yards, mags are a little hard to come by compared to a ak-47 and roughly 2 times as expensive (still not too bad however) and is about as much fun as you can have without a woman in the room.

Ak101: designed for countries switching from pinko commie stuff to NATO rounds. Shoots the .223./5.56 rounds, ammo is the most expensive out of the 3 by far, are generally a pain in the ass to locate in general as they haven't really caught on for whatever reason in the U.S. probably because they cost the same a basic decent Ar-15. Mags suck to locate, its freakishly accurate and fun to shoot, as accurate as an AR and reliable as an AK. This particular configuration is in use by polish and egyptian soldiers in Afghanistan as we speak, and it generally considered badass by anyone who has ever shot one.

and just for kicks:

The PSL/ROMAK III: Generally a oversized AK with a scope that shoots a 7.62X54r light ball round, is highly accurate out to 900 yards when the person does their part, only holds 10 rounds but is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on. Ammo is cheap, mags aren't terribly expensive. I've been given first hand knowledge that Marines keep these when they locate then because they have the ability to reach out and touch someone, and are especially useful to knockout the engine of a oncoming vehicle when caravaning around Iraq and the natives get too close.

Best of luck, let us know what you get and GET PICTURES!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi thanks for all of the responces

I think that i want a ak 74 because the ammo is way cheap:biglaugh:

I wanted an rifle for emergency purposes like when katrina hit and people started looting stuff. Hope i don't sound to much like a crazy to you guys.:biglaugh:

thanks for the info

Mclovin

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just a little crazy. :biglaugh:

I had a Romanian SAR 1, 2 and 3. After a little work they all functioned 100%. Sold the 3, gave the 1 to my son in law and kept the SAR 2. A perfect go-to gun right after my 870.

Ken

·
Registered
428 Posts
If price were no object and you could find a milled receiver Poly Tech Legend you would have an awesome AK 47. They were built in China and are considered by many to be the best of the best. You see them from time to time on Gunbroker selling in the neighborhood of $2000.00. I know if I were in the market for an AK 47 thats what I would buy.
Damn, I used to have one of those, NIB. Bought it from my next door neighbor about fifteen years ago for like $600.00. Sold it for just a little more than that a couple years later. I could kick myself.

·
Registered
515 Posts
hi thanks for all of the responces

I think that i want a ak 74 because the ammo is way cheap:biglaugh:

I wanted an rifle for emergency purposes like when katrina hit and people started looting stuff. Hope i don't sound to much like a crazy to you guys.:biglaugh:

thanks for the info

Mclovin
Crazy nothing, thats why I have an AR, an AK with a 75rd drum and a PSL, bring on the looters! :rock:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so what does a ak 74 variant cost. I would guess that it would cost around 300-500 dollars depending on the condition. What things should i look for when i shop for one? What is a good deal for these rifles i guess is what i am trying to say?
thanks again for the help

Mclovin

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Centerfire systems has a nice Tantal in 5.45 for $550. good price for the best type of AK currently available that's build from surplus military parts.

·
Registered
515 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts